Need advice on this sick drum kit!

Zumester

Need Advice on First Drum Invesment

Hey guys,

I've been drumming for a while, it's been five months since I started. The drum (most underfunded department) kit in the basement is old, hi-hat tilted, and i'm moving into a house next year, so i figured over summer i could make some buck and get my own kit! So after a lot of looking around for a drum set, a girl at my college who used to drum has a 7 piece kit that she will be selling. Her family has been trying for a while, but it's time to take some proactive measures and get my career going! Here is the description:

it is a seven piece kit (drum count) so it has a floor tom, two middle toms, two high
toms, a base drum, snare drum, ride cymbal, crash cymbal, high hat, drum throne (the
seat), a cowbell and all the cases are included of course.
The asking price (negotiable) is $700. Shipping would be free if I decided to have the kit here at college. Here are some images of the kit:

It seems almost identical to the $1,200 kit advertised here: http://phoenix.backpage.com/MiscForSale/_1_200_7_piece_tama_rockstar_drum_kit_set_with_hardware_pedal/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=4228806

I''ve never owned my own kit, so any advice, questions or tips are welcome and appreciated. Thanks all,

Mark

Last edited:

wloeb

Looks good to me. Are those old superstars? If so, a definate yes. If not a probable yes.

The cymbals are worth about half the asking price. If you can get everything for 600-700 it will be a pretty good deal.

Wayne

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Tama Imperial Stars or Swing Stars (80's including hardware) 9 ply mahogany/zola-coat, silver silk wrap.

Imp Stars (same shells as Swing) Stewart Copeland made famous in the (early) Police.

What its worth:

Maybe @ $700 you could make money selling it all on e bay.

Saurav

Bro, i think its a pretty good deal. The drums look to be in good condition and the cymbals are definitely worth half the asking price. All you should do is get the specifications of the kit. I mean which series are they? What wood etc.? Then play the kit and if you like the sound get them man! I'd do the same! All the best.

Cheers!

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Based on the photo, this looks like a good deal to me. The cymbals are Zildjian/Sabian pro cymbals, which are really good. Drums and hardware look in pretty good condition, and even the heads aren't too bad! Looks like it has been cared for pretty well. Whether it's swingstar, imperialstar or whatever, as your first kit it is fantastic! I would have killed for a kit like this when I started. The $1200 kit you compare it to is newer, but it won't sound any better and it doesn't include cymbals. This kit is a bargain IMO. Even the color is pretty good!

The other thing that's nice about this kit is that you have a variety of sizes (looks like you have 10, 12, 13, and 14 or 15 rack toms) which gives you a chance to experiment with sizes in a 5-piece setup. I like 10/12/14 toms, some folks like 12/13/16, and you have all the options here. Or you can just set 'em all up! This kit will serve you for a number of years.

Either way, at $700 I say yes, buy 'em!

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
That is an Imperialstar, those lugs came on Superstars and Imperialstars.
I agree with all the statements above, between the condition and number of drums as well as the pro level cymbals, I would jump on it.

diosdude

Silver Member
It won't hurt to ask if she'd take 600 or 550 for it, although, if cymbals come with, it's worth 700.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Definitely worth it if you like the kit and its sizes. Hey, it comes with cases, too! Drums, cymbals, cases...man, that's a DEAL if you dig the kit!

wloeb

Looks good to me. Are those old superstars? If so, a definate yes. If not a probable yes.

The cymbals are worth about half the asking price. If you can get everything for 600-700 it will be a pretty good deal.

Wayne
thanks to those who pointed out that it's an imperialstar. Still well worth it. Have you bought it yet?

Wayne

Zumester

Jumped on it, negotiated it to $600. It'll be here soon! Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll be able to play live with this kit soon enough!

-Mark

Meat the beat

Well done mate, my first kit was a secondhand Swingstar, tho a 5 piece, it was great & i cut my teeth playing my first real gigs on it out in the big bad world.. never let me down either!!
Enjoy!! :-D

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
Sweet deal on the kit! Hope you have a long and beautiful relationship together with many years of happiness :)