Need advice on kit purchase

vtran711

New member here looking for buying advice on a new acoustic kit. I'm just getting back into drumming after many many years of not playing. I consider myself a beginner but hoping to purchase an intermediate kit. Will be playing with a group mostly focused on rock but individually I'm interested in learning other genres. Not asking the usual question on specific brand but I'm curious where you think most of my dollars should go. I'm definitely looking at used gear to get the most bang for my buck.

If you had approximately $1000 to go towards a kit how would you break it down. For example,

Shells: $500
Cymbals: $200
Hardware: $200
New drum heads: $100

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the best shells possible and upgrade everything later.

Well, first off ..... buy used.

Shells and hardware $450.
Cymbals $450.
Heads $100.

Most intermediate level kits, with good high end cymbals ..... will deliver.
Actually, get one of those Crush Alpha kits that come with everything for $300, (less if you find a used one), dump the rest into the best cymbals you can afford. Drums can be fixed, bad cymbals are always bad when you try to save a buck.

Actually, get one of those Crush Alpha kits that come with everything for $300, (less if you find a used one), dump the rest into the best cymbals you can afford. Drums can be fixed, bad cymbals are always bad when you try to save a buck.

Ditto (not specifically the Crush kit, but something comparable, if you feel you have to buy a new kit- used will get you better quality for the same $), because good heads and tuning know-how will improve lower-end drums, but a cymbal sounds how it sounds.

Ditto (not specifically the Crush kit, but something comparable, if you feel you have to buy a new kit- used will get you better quality for the same $), because good heads and tuning know-how will improve lower-end drums, but a cymbal sounds how it sounds.
Not to derail, but someone hipped me to that Crush Alpha kit with the traditional sizes of 10x7/12x8/14x14/20x14 with a 5" snare complete with hardware and bad cymbals for $399 new - and some places are dealing lower than that with free shipping. I'm sure the drums aren't built to DW quality, but considering DW charges $1400 for their Frequent Flyer kit (12/14/20), I think the Crush wins hands down if you just want something to practice on and do light gigging. I might even get one and lose the 10" tom - then you have a Crush Downbeat!

New member here looking for buying advice on a new acoustic kit. I'm just getting back into drumming after many many years of not playing. I consider myself a beginner but hoping to purchase an intermediate kit. Will be playing with a group mostly focused on rock but individually I'm interested in learning other genres. Not asking the usual question on specific brand but I'm curious where you think most of my dollars should go. I'm definitely looking at used gear to get the most bang for my buck.

If you had approximately $1000 to go towards a kit how would you break it down. For example,

Shells: $500
Cymbals: $200
Hardware: $200
New drum heads: $100

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the best shells possible and upgrade everything later.

I'm going to stick with my stock answer.

Yamaha Stage Custom.
Zildjian A's.
Yamaha 7 series hardware.
A throne that will fit your ass.

About $1300 new, about $800 used. I'd look at GC's used inventory or give Shane/DCP a ring to see if he has the used inventory in stock and can set you up.

I'm definitely looking at used gear. I'd prefer a more well known brand if for anything resale value. I'm hearing most think cymbals are more important than shells but I can't stop eyeing the mid-level shells like Yamaha Stage, Mapex Meridain, Gretsch Catalina, etc.

KamaK I like your rec! It would be great to get a setup like that for $800 used. Need to be patient and keep looking.

Not to derail, but someone hipped me to that Crush Alpha kit with the traditional sizes of 10x7/12x8/14x14/20x14 with a 5" snare complete with hardware and bad cymbals for $399 new - and some places are dealing lower than that with free shipping. I'm sure the drums aren't built to DW quality, but considering DW charges $1400 for their Frequent Flyer kit (12/14/20), I think the Crush wins hands down if you just want something to practice on and do light gigging. I might even get one and lose the 10" tom - then you have a Crush Downbeat!

Yep I'll agree too, spend the extra money on cymbals and some decent heads.

Don't worry about resale value, cheap kits depreciate less than a £5k dw. I had the Pearl Midtown £350, gigged it solid for a year and sold it for just less than I paid for it.

Mapex Armory might be another one to look at, around the same price as the Yamaha if you go down that road.

Well, first off ..... buy used.

Most intermediate level kits, with good high end cymbals ..... will deliver.

+ if you're about to spend many hours of dedicated practice the most important piece of gear is your throne. Nothing will ever make a bigger difference than something comfortable to sit on. A throne that's a good fit for you should make it so you don't even think about it.

The great thing about drums is that you donæt have to buy everything at onece and can upgrade things piece by piece.

- A BD pedal has to at least function
- cymbals can't be tuned, so better to buy quality and not need so many. If you just need something in a certain spot for practicing a certain movement an extra crash, splash or something representing a china can probably be had for more or less free if you look around locally.
- You can get by with any snare for practice and as a beginner. If it's not to your liking it should prbably be the first thing you upgrade. Toms and BD aren't just easier to live with, but it's a huge investmnent compared to one snare and in most cases what you get for substantially more money is just slightly better. It also takes a while to hear certain things and also get more secure in what you really want.

As with any instrument, as long as everything is in good working order, it's about the user, mostly. SPend the money if you have it to spend and really want to, but you really don't have to.

I have ben playing a Catalina kit for years. I have many good snares I use with it, but the rest of the drums do the job. If you want a more modern sound then something like Stage Customs are a better choice. I play SCs all the time and thogh not my personal choice they sound great and give you plenty of value for your money. Shouldn't be hard to find on the used market either.

And make sure you like the finish and color! Believe it or not, it's important. It's why Ringo bought the Ludwig kit.

For decent stuff, prepare to spend a little more than a grand even if used:
-A used set of Stage Customs or even higher end PDP will suit you fine and probably be $350-500.
-As everybody else has said, don't aim low with cymbals. But don't aim super high either, and do buy used. Depending on what you get, this will cost about the same as the drum set, $350-500
-Plenty of hardware packs out there and in my experience with hardware, you don't save a lot of money buying used. Yamaha is really good but a bit pricier; Tama or PDP may be a better deal. Still, around $200
-You might luck out if you buy a used kit; the previous owner may have upgraded the heads already and if they aren't super worn, then great! But yeah, $50 for a kick batter and about that much again for the rest of the drums' batters; double it all if you want to replace the reso as well. So, $100/$200

So you're looking at $1000-$1400 depending.

+1 for used Stage Customs and Zildjian A cymbals. Sabian AAX cymbals are also a good choice if you're on a budget. I'd try to get a pair of 14" New Beat or K hi-hats, a 21" A Sweet Ride or 20"-22" A Medium Ride, and a 17" or 18" crash. Preference to the Sweet Ride, as it's also very crashable. You'll be able to practice and eventually gig with that kit for a long time before you outgrow it.

I'm going to stick with my stock answer.

Yamaha Stage Custom.
Zildjian A's.
Yamaha 7 series hardware.
A throne that will fit your ass.

About $1300 new, about $800 used. I'd look at GC's used inventory or give Shane/DCP a ring to see if he has the used inventory in stock and can set you up.

That's exactly perfect, but also consider the Meinl Classic Custom series - you can buy a new cymbal pack for that money and they sound awesome - with a 2 year no BS warranty

As a "beginning" drummer myself, plus having a low budget, I was led to a more basic set, but another solid vote here for buying used.
I'd also suggest knowing what you are looking for, at least as far as guidelines go, and then sticking with your rules. You'll likely be happier with your decision ime.

I did this recently, buying my first kit. It's definitely just a good place from which to begin, but, it's a beginning. ;)

Used Stage Customs (2nd generation or newer) are a great investment. I don't care for the 1st generation much (based on looks) but the ones from 2003 onward are really nice.

Paiste PST7 are good entry-level cymbals but I'd stick with tried-and-true cymbals for now. Zildjian New Beat hi-hats, Zildjian Sweet Ride etc.

I ended up with a used Gretsch Catalina Maple with Zildjian custom As within my budget. Still being a bit of a beginner I probably would have been happy with any of the suggestions above. Never owned or used a kit of this level so to me this is a big step up! Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

I'll toss my recommendation in for the Yamaha Stage Custom with the 700 series hardware. Best kit on the market in that price range.
Also, it's worth looking into Paiste PST7's for cymbals. They are little more, but the quality is fantastic. They sound lightyears beyond any other cymbal in that price range, and are suitable for live and recoding without sounding "cheap."

Back