Need advice on bar gig miking, 2 channels only

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
9 mics is way over the top for a bar gig IMO.

2 or 3 would cover it fine, and hear everything that 9 mics would hear.

Bass, snare and 1 overhead, or just bass drum and overhead..no matter how many channels I had is all that's actually needed.

More mics, more unnecessary hassle. If you use individual tom mics, you might need to use gates, another possibility for consideration. Why you ask?

On my recording kit the virgin bass drum makes all my tom heads vibrate. The "close to the head" tom mics mounted from separate, dedicated mic stands...turn those sympathetic head vibrations into a messy hum unless there's a gate on all the tom mics.

Last edited:

doggyd69b

9 mics is way over the top for a bar gig IMO.

2 or 3 would cover it fine, and hear everything that 9 mics would hear.

Bass, snare and 1 overhead, or just bass drum and overhead..no matter how many channels I had is all that's actually needed.

More mics, more unnecessary hassle. If you use individual tom mics, you might need to use gates, another possibility for consideration. Why you ask?

On my recording kit the virgin bass drum makes all my tom heads vibrate. The "close to the head" tom mics mounted from separate, dedicated mic stands...turn those sympathetic head vibrations into a messy hum unless there's a gate on all the tom mics.
The original poster is asking for what he should use for a bar gig, I asked what I should use for my own set in order to record, but also to have the possibility of mic with a PA system. Current setup is what you see in the avatar picture 7 drums and 9 cymbals.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
[...] i played last week for a 120-130 people audience, with just 1 condensor mic placed just above the bass drum shell, between the tom and floor tom and directed to the snare drum..

Sounded perfect, though i am not sure if the sound would still have been perfect when for example crashing the ride cymbal a lot..
I have heard more than once that if a person has only one mic and wants to mic the whole kit, this is ideal. I'm glad someone one here has tried it and has good results.

A friend of mine was doing a low-budget, low-channel recording. He only had two channels, so he miked his kick, and then he duct-taped a Shure Beta 91a to his chest while he played. I remember hearing the recording, and you know, it wasn't that bad! The toms were a little hot in the mix, but it wasn't terrible.