Need advice for choosing a Drum Kit

Alban-V

Hello Everybody!

I am new here and I would like to ask you a question.

I have the chance and/or opportunity to purchase a new drum kit.
First I would like to play mostly rock, hard rock, metal and others.

3 kits caught my attention and I would appreciate your comments and advice.

1. Used - Yamaha Live Oak Custom (Not Hybrid) - Shell sizes: 22 / 12 / 14 / 16
2. New - Tama Starclassic Walnut/Birch - 22 / 10 /12 / 16
3. New - Pearl Session Studio - 22 / 10 / 12 / 14 / 16

Got a big interest in the Live OAK but doesn't seem like a lot of metal drummers play on this type of kit.

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Best,
Alban
A drummer from France, Living in Montreal

The Pearl kit would fit well with the image/music you play. In my opinion the Pearl Session Studio punches way above its weight. I used to own a set of Studio Session Classic drums and I would put them up against anything in a similar price category.

If you're more worried about what other metal drummers play then by all means, go for the Starclassics but if YOU are leaning towards the Yammy then go for that (and may I remind you these guys played Yamaha and they did ok for themselves) :)

1. Rust in Peace.jpeg

download.jpg

The Pearl kit would fit well with the image/music you play. In my opinion the Pearl Session Studio punches way above its weight. I used to own a set of Studio Session Classic drums and I would put them up against anything in a similar price category.
Thanks you for your honest opinion.
I was torn between the Yamaha Live Oak and the Tama, then I came across a video with Matt Helpern who presented this Pearl Studio Select and… wow
The only thing that concerns me regarding the Pearl is that you need to buy specific extra hardware for the Tom as there’s no holders…
Here in Canada, without taxes, the 5 pieces shell pack is 2559$CAD.
Need to think about it but the used Live Oak Custom is 1800$CAD without taxes..
Anyway, I’ll see. Thank you so very much !

I would suggest have a listen to them all and make up your own mind you will be playing them BTW welcome to this great forum good luck on your drum search Cheers.
Hey! Thanks for your advice!
I already listened to them all as most of the store in Montreal don’t have these specific models. I know I should go with the sound I prefer or the one that « speaks to me ».
I love the sound of the 3, that’s why I came here in the first place, to have the opinion from owners.
Thank you so much for your warm welcome! Cheers

Perhaps this is a secondary factor, but does the configuration of the kits matter to you? I assume the Yamaha has a virgin kick and the 12" tom off to the side of the kick. Do you like that more than the kick-mounted toms (I'm assuming) on the Tama and Pearl kits?

If you're more worried about what other metal drummers play then by all means, go for the Starclassics but if YOU are leaning towards the Yammy then go for that (and may I remind you these guys played Yamaha and they did ok for themselves) :)

View attachment 131929

View attachment 131931
Thank you for sharing your opinion! Really appreciated!
I don’t want to play the kit that other players may have but the one that I will love and be inspired by, for sure.
I know Dave MacClain used to play on a Live Oak Custom when they recorded The Blackening so.. why not giving a try as I loved the sound of it (on YouTube Ahah)
Thanks again !

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a secondary factor, but does the configuration of the kits matter to you? I assume the Yamaha has a virgin kick and the 12" tom off to the side of the kick. Do you like that more than the kick-mounted toms (I'm assuming) on the Tama and Pearl kits?
Hey!
Thank for your reply.
Attached a picture and description of the actual Yamaha Kit.
The configuration of the kit is not really important to me, I mean, less important than the sound itself. What it can produce in different situations (Live, Studio, Small Gig, etc..)
Thank you

Attachments

• 9AB01F32-20AF-4671-A48B-15803B26D8C1.jpeg
    9AB01F32-20AF-4671-A48B-15803B26D8C1.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 8AEA9703-995D-42DE-9BB7-25BFCE1051B6.jpeg
    8AEA9703-995D-42DE-9BB7-25BFCE1051B6.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 10
Rikki Rockett

:D

I think Rikki has a hybrid live oak, but the version I’m interested in is the previous one.
Would that sound almost the same ?
(probably equal/better/ +/-
Old ones thicker shell? maybe
think there was 3
Oak Custom/ Oak Absolute?/ oak Live.. can't recall have it in the catalogs

Last edited:
Hey!
Thank for your reply.
Attached a picture and description of the actual Yamaha Kit.
The configuration of the kit is not really important to me, I mean, less important than the sound itself. What it can produce in different situations (Live, Studio, Small Gig, etc..)
Thank you
I really like the finish of the bass drum and mounted tom but the mismatched floor toms and snare would be off-putting for me (just my OCD kicking in)...

Back