Need advice for cheap jazz cymbals set

jullebarge

Hi,
I play drums and percussion in an harmony and we have really old drums with cheap cymbals from mixed brand.
I'd like to see if we can buy a new set (HH/crash/Ride) that would be appropriate for harmony music: some classic pieces, jazz and some pop songs rearranged for harmony.
The problem is we don't have a big budget, so is it possible to find a nice set that wouln't cost to much ? I don't have a precise budget, but if I can get some nice sets references I could try to find same on used market.

jullebarge

How big is your budget exactly and where do you live? If you're in the US, it's quite easy to find used vintage Avedis or Sabians (just two options). If you're in Europe, finding them for cheap might take a bit longer.
l live in Europe (France). I think the max budget is around 500€. I know it's not a lot for a cymbal set. What about buying brands like Wuhan or Zultan ?

Drifter in the Dark

Silver Member
Istanbul cymbals has a lower-priced series called Xist that would be good for jazz; they still have the warm, dark tone you'd expect from a Turkish-made cymbal. Wuhan is also a decent-quality option. There's another Chinese company called Dream that makes cymbals, and theirs tend to be a little thinner and more jazzy-sounding than the Wuhan's.

l live in Europe (France). I think the max budget is around 500€. I know it's not a lot for a cymbal set. What about buying brands like Wuhan or Zultan ?
500€ should be more than enough. :) I'd stick with thin, used cymbals - if you don't like a cymbal, you can sell it later on to fund another one. You could look for Istanbul, Masterwork, Zultan Caz, Agean, Bosphorus for example.
How about these two Bosphorus cymbals? Maybe you can bargain a bit if you buy both at once. https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/annonce-1716084

Soulfinger

Zultan Caz, Dark Matter and Raw series get good reviews, but I never tried them. You can always send them back if you don´t like them, Thomann has great customer service and is quick to refund your money. Unfortunately their sound files are not very accurate - whoever made them played much too hard and with unreasonably big sticks.

Istanbul Agop Xist, as mentioned before, are very good cymbals. They are on the brighter side of the spectrum, similar to the Zildjian A series. If that´s your thing, you won´t be disappointed. Bonne chance!

renkov

As people wrote it previously Istanbul Mehmet, Dream Cymbals, Bosphorus Cymbals are really good, and you can get used ones for great price ( however this also means that the resale value is not the great). Vintage Avedis Zildjians tend to be cheap too and they do have the "blast from the past sound).
What type of jazz you need the cymbals for?

Peedy

Vintage Avedis Zildjians tend to be cheap too and they do have the "blast from the past sound).
What type of jazz you need the cymbals for?
Uhhh, sort of. The deal is that it all depends on which ones you mean. Some Trans stamp A Zildjians are still a gold standard for jazz (1947-53 or so) but at the same time they made lots of other Trans stamp A Zildjians that sound much brighter and more like modern cymbals. Plus some are rather pricey, around 300-400 USD for a good set of 15in Hats.

If you’re going to go vintage, find a collector in France (lots of jazz players there still) and have a conversation. Maybe even play a few.

Last edited:

renkov

My experience is that even from the 70's Avedis' rides can work nicely for classic jazz. Not all of them, since some can be too bright - as you mentioned it too. A really hit or miss.
In the UK, and some parts of Europe, you can come across old Avedis Zildjians surprisingly cheap. In general now the UK market seems to be stalled (I bought a pair of 14" K Custom Dark hats for £190, with logos on the top hat in almost perfect condition).
All in all cymbals needs to be tried especially vintage, second hand and Turkish made.
Another brand came into my mind:
Anatolian. I used to have a Baris ride (it was a modern sounding cymbal though) and for the price it was great. I think they are hand hammered and made in Turkey. They have/had Jazz aeries, and something called Emotion series ( they were also designed to jazz). The problem is - as usually with the Turkish cymbals - the messy or non existent distribution system, and the lack of information available.

Adding these two cymbals because there is very little information about them. They might sell for about $50 / 50€ and are good cymbals.
B20 by Sabian - these were presumably built by Tosco in Italy. I read that they were later produced in Canada and they changed things. Anyway, they are worth trying if they come up for cheap. Also, original Tosco's can be very good.
The cymbal at the bottom is an old Zanchi before they spelled it Zanki. Very light and pretty dry.
DSC00459.JPG

Last edited:

Old Dog new Cans

I'm not sure of their prices, I can't seem to find them for sale in the US. But there is a newer company, Italian designed Turkish made cymbals--Vulcan. They look and sound great in the videos (for whatever that is worth).

Just another option to look into.

danondrums

Dream bliss. Brand new 20 inch is only $200 and they sound like old K's. They do vary from cymbal to cymbal but so do many other top cymbals.
I dropped in on an open mic a couple weeks ago and there were a set of Dream Vintages on there that sounded great to my ears as well.
Very washy jazzy. I was surprised at how nice they sounded. I would definitely consider them for a budget jazz cymbal set.

mikyok

Platinum Member
How expensive are Meinl/Paiste in France, just thinking which companies are closest to France.

Failing that the Zultan stuff on Thomann might be the best option.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I love my 22 K Con ride but it's too loud (I hate putting tape on bottom to help silent it) for my drum basement and when I record so I've been looking for a smaller inexpensive ride for jazz practice. I'm getting a 17 in Dream Bliss Vintage crash/ride for xmas. I've only listened to videos-and I figure if it isn't a good ride it will make a great crash. I wanted to take it out and test try it when it arrived but the wife grabbed it and wrapped it. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I really like thin cymbals and ones that serve as great ride and crash. The videos sound awesome-really nice crash and ride.