need a Van Halen tune for the gig this weekend...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Jump is fairly easy, provided you have a guitarist that can play the solo.
And a keys player ditto.

Dance the Night Away is a simple structure, and may fit well into a general set if rock isn't your genre.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure you tell the keys players what key you're playing it in ;)
*warning* extreme curvature of the spine will occur!
Ooooo - ouch!!!!!

By way of coincidental example, this drum cam clip I just uploaded is first number in & IEM circuit failed for about 40 seconds (I thought it was my IEM connection). Just about held it together, although there is some interesting tempo drift / adjustment accordingly ;)

BruceW

And a keys player ditto.

Dance the Night Away is a simple structure, and may fit well into a general set if rock isn't your genre.
We have a keys player for some gigs...I would love to work up Jump. I don't think we'd be a good candidate to try and play it cold tho. Especially the solo sections.

Dance The Night Away is a cool tune too. We do play some rock, just not a lot of VH style stuff.

notvinnie

You Really Got Me and Jamie's Cryin' were both hits, and aren't too difficult. Dance the Night Away is a good one too.

SomeBadDrummer

We have a gig on Saturday, and we don't have any Van Halen in our catalog. (its also not really our genre, though we cover a lot of ground) We want to play one, of course, given Eddies passing. We have no rehearsal time, so we'll be playing whatever we decide cold, learning on our own. Which is fun, we were adding a song or two every few weeks last year. But that was when we were gigging regularly, so we were much tighter than we are right now...

I'm pretty sure we'll go with You really Got Me, and the guitar player might even do a bit of Eruption to lead into it. Its a standard, not crazy, and I used to do it years ago, so there's no lyric learning curve (or lyric sheet) required. Ain't Talking About Love has been suggested, and it seems like it would be fairly straight forward on one quick listen this morning, so that's a candidate too. The guitar player just messaged me, saying he could do Panama... I Iaughed at him. (I think he was teasing, we ain't tackling that cold.)

This just got me curious as to what VH songs you do, or would do in our situation, needing to pick one up without a rehearsal.
BruceW which VH number did you guys decide to go with?????