Need a ride and crash for church gig

Paul Blood

Hi!

The church I am working at has given me the go ahead to look into new cymbals. They currently have 18 Sabian AAX which is cracked (not my fault!) and another 20 Sabian B, which is sort of OK, but it's kind of pingy and not very crashable. The band does contemporary praise and worship which seems to favor dark and washy cymbals. I really like K Zildjians, but I want keep the price down. I thought maybe Dream cymbals would be good, but I'm not really familiar with their lines. I am open to other brands and suggestions.

I am thinking a 20'' and 22" crash/ride would be a nice combination.

Thanks!

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

As you know, Paul, the cymbal market is vast, and being open to options can make matters even more overwhelming. If you like Zildjian Ks, perhaps exploring preowned models would make sense. Lots are in circulation at decent prices, and your familiarity with the line will be advantageous as you conduct your search.

SharkSandwich

I use my 20" Paiste Giant Beat multifunctional for worship and it works very well.

graysonator

Hi!

The church I am working at has given me the go ahead to look into new cymbals. They currently have 18 Sabian AAX which is cracked (not my fault!) and another 20 Sabian B, which is sort of OK, but it's kind of pingy and not very crashable. The band does contemporary praise and worship which seems to favor dark and washy cymbals. I really like K Zildjians, but I want keep the price down. I thought maybe Dream cymbals would be good, but I'm not really familiar with their lines. I am open to other brands and suggestions.

Thanks!
I’ve heard good things about Heartbeat Cymbals for worship! @PorkPieGuy is the man to ask :)

Do you live in the UK? If so, I would look for all kinds of Turkish B20 cymbals and vintage Avedis and Sabians - there should be plenty of those cymbals. Old Italian cymbals can be quite washy and dark, too. They are not as common, but you might find a great one for cheap. There are way too many Italian brands to list, but I found a picture of many stamps here: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=6251&page=2
If you can get the weight, you'll likely receive some good cymbals (Maybe add a bit of tape if one is still too washy). For the 20" I'd look for about 2000g and about 2300g for the 22".

mikyok

Platinum Member
Although I'm a Zildjian guy, I'd look at Paiste if you're looking to buy blind.

Giant beats or big beats.

Like you said although Ks would be nice, they're going to be expensive.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Hi!

Thanks!

Look at Heartbeat. I play a 22" Custom Dark thin and also a 20" Custom Dry crash and a 20" Studio crash. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Redbeard

I find some of the big, thin, dry cymbals that are popular now don't always project or cut through very well. That can be good or bad depending on the conditions. How big is the room you're playing in? Are there overhead mics for the cymbals? Are you behind a plexi shield?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Forgive me for posting this multiple times over the past few months, but I'm hoping this gives you a good idea as to what Heartbeat cymbals sound like in various settings.

brady

Platinum Member
Don't forget to shop used, in case you haven't thought if it.

The previously mentioned 20" Giant Beat would be winner...

Paul Blood

I find some of the big, thin, dry cymbals that are popular now don't always project or cut through very well. That can be good or bad depending on the conditions. How big is the room you're playing in? Are there overhead mics for the cymbals? Are you behind a plexi shield?
It’s a large chuches, each drum has a mic, and there are two overhead mics. Also the kit is behind plexiglass.

JaysonJeanChannel

I use Zildjian Ks. I currently have a 20" K Cluster Crash next to a 22" K Constantinople Medium Thin Low. You could find some used ones for a good price, which is what I was able too.

Yeah make sure the church is going to pay for it. There's some good Sabian HHX models that could work, or any of the suggestions above.