Need a little Paiste cymbal pricing help

As I’m in dire need of decent cymbals...........
I could really use some Paiste pricing wisdom. Before I contact the seller I’d like to know a fair price for the set . A starting( bottom) negotiating price without offending too much . And a price not to go past for the set . Thanks for any and all help on the value , individually or as a set .

7B3A6AFF-95EE-443C-95DD-24ABA18EB633.jpeg
487AF1E7-53D3-435F-A18E-75D78FB7183D.jpeg35794A69-C23B-4CC3-A4C0-0BBC3FADACB0.jpeg67A7B0F4-2E54-49E6-8D92-8B1D08578FED.jpegBCE1D9B5-AF37-4FCF-89A4-B5461B8D3C67.jpeg

50-60% of the new price depending on condition.

I looked them up new. So you’re saying a good starting point is around 5 hundred , assuming as he says ...”excellent condition “ ?

Anyone else have any input on this set of 2002’s. Any and all info/opinions welcome .
And thanks for any help.

EhhSoCheap

If the seller doesn’t have an asking price and has only said, “Make me an offer,” $500 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The seller isn’t doing him/herself any favors by giving no expectation of what they want for their gear, or maybe they don’t want to scare anyone away with their true asking price. Only one way to find out...

If the seller doesn’t have an asking price and has only said, “Make me an offer,” $500 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The seller isn’t doing him/herself any favors by giving no expectation of what they want for their gear, or maybe they don’t want to scare anyone away with their true asking price. Only one way to find out...

Kinda my thinking also . I looked em up new and individuality came up to appx a grand. If I’m wrong someone let me know. So I figure with no asking price and a make offer post , he shouldn’t be too surprised at a 500 offer???‍♂️

Paistes tend to hold more value than most other brands, and street price on those cymbals is almost $1300. Considering condition I'd put "fair" closer to $800. I'm not sure $500 would even start a conversation with the guy...

As always, thanks for your input Winston ??. I’ll have to see em in person obviously, but from the pics, they seem in pretty good condition ???‍♂️

Assuming they’re not damaged, what would be your ceiling price on the used set ?

Any other Paiste gurus wanna chime in ?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Assuming they’re not damaged, what would be your ceiling price on the used set ?

For me that's tricky. I tend to avoid used Paiste cymbals because they tend to be too close to new prices and I'm used to buying used Zildjians and Sabians that are far more plentiful and cheaper. If I wanted those exact models and I needed an essentially complete set of 2002s that were ready to go with one-stop shopping? I'd probably still stick to that $800 number I threw out earlier. I think it really depends on how much you want those exact cymbals and what your max budget is.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I think it really depends on how much you want those exact cymbals and what your max budget is.
Very important.

@Over50drumguy should check the sold listings on Reverb and compare. I would say your $500 is a fair starting offer compared to what I have seen in the market. The seller may counter, but that should not scare you off if you actually want all of these cymbals.

C.M. Jones

Actually, the "make me an offer" tactic places the seller, not the buyer, in an advantageous position. The first person to quote a figure in a negotiation has already compromised his or her power. When I buy a new truck (I drive only trucks), I never make a numeric offer initially. I let the sales person do so. Then, when the number isn't to my liking, I respond, "That's not within my range of tolerance." When he or she asks, "What's your range?", I say, "I'll let you know when you've reached it." I never allude to a sum until I'm ready to seal the deal.

If that sounds like a game, it should. Sales is a game, won or lost like any other game. Those unwilling to play always lose.

Last edited:
Very important.

@Over50drumguy should check the sold listings on Reverb and compare. I would say your $500 is a fair starting offer compared to what I have seen in the market. The seller may counter, but that should not scare you off if you actually want all of these cymbals.

Thanks clutch and @Winston_Wolf . Much appreciated. That at least gives me a window??. If he’s at 8 or more that’s just to close to new prices for my taste and I may pick up a pack or one at a time new to get what I want , but these would definitely suffice.
I always see in here people say ..... check the sold price on reverb . I can’t seem to find that info . I have an account with reverb but have always accessed it on my phone , so wondering if that has something to do with it or I’m just not seeing how to find it .

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I have an account with reverb but have always accessed it on my phone , so wondering if that has something to do with it or I’m just not seeing how to find it .
Search for the item you are looking for on the Reverb app. Next click Filter, then Show Only, then Sold Listings. You can then use the Sort option to arrange the items from low to high price.

OSDrums

I think the US and European market differ a little at Paiste reselling value but if you can get the whole set for 500 it would be a very good deal. 600-700 perfectly fine (given no damage). I‘d stop at 800.
Here in Germany you can use this a rule of thumb: 50% of street price for good used condition, 60% for barely used, 70% for like new. This applies to almost all brands and models. The first buyer takes the 30% loss at the moment leaving the shop. After that the losses are small to zero which is why so many people buy their cymbals used. If you don‘t like it, you sell it and jump to the next. I‘ve done this with Rides all the time, but I‘m a little hesitant with crashes since I lost one used crash shortly after having it bought used. I do not buy any cymbals with damage on the edges since than...

Last edited:

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
In Germany the Heavy HiHats are €340 new. I bought a used pair last year in medium condition for €175 after some negotiations. No dents, cracks, key holes whatsoever, but with quite some oxidation (sorry, no better pic):

s-l140.jpg

It was easily wiped away with some Barkeepers Friend. If you'd get the set for 800 you're lucky I'd say. And very happy afterwards :)

I would say $650 is a reasonable offer and gives a little room before hitting your walk away ceiling of $800. $500 is a little low for the condition those are in.

So looks like I’m gonna get these for $600 . From the pics they look to be in great condition. As long as the edges check out and are free of gouges and knicks it should be a go .

Anything else I should look for or be careful of?
Is there any acceptable edge roughness I should consider or should they be slick and buttery smooth all the way around ?

cbphoto

Gold Member
So looks like I’m gonna get these for $600 . From the pics they look to be in great condition. As long as the edges check out and are free of gouges and knicks it should be a go .

Anything else I should look for or be careful of?
Is there any acceptable edge roughness I should consider or should they be slick and buttery smooth all the way around ?
I was gonna say start at $75 per pie. I guess I'm the low-baller around here.

The edge should feel nice and smooth all the way around.
The bottom bell/hole shouldn't have any scratches from being mounted.
The serial number should be prominent (i.e., not buffed off).
Don't forget to tap 'em with a stick.

BGDurham

These are a classic and very particular kind of cymbal (bright classic rock) that most people either want or don't want--I doubt much middle ground. If you want them grab this good deal. Also consider how much time you'll save not shopping for cymbals anymore. That time is worth a lot and effectively reduces the price accordingly.

SharkSandwich

They're beautiful!

I like to roll cymbals lightly with soft mallets so I can detect any slight cracks that might be hiding. You would be able to hear them if there were any.