Need a Good,Cheap Kit?

Got a text that the drums h

HGahahha omg the suspense....

"Got a text that the drums have gotten smashed"
"Got a text that the drums have never existed"
"Got a text that the drums have purple paint inside the shells"....

Could be anything!

Ah, just messing with you guys. The drums arrived at my sister's place in western Washington early this afternoon!

She sent pics of the boxes, which are largely intact. She opened one smashed-looking box and said everything looked OK. Since then, we've both been at work or otherwise occupied in our different time zones, with no way to really discuss the condition of the equipment. Even so, I'm really excited!

She is going to ship it all to me via FedEx, where my brother's wife works and can get me a sizable discount. It should be here in a week or so, but I have told them there's no hurry ...

... because I go in for surgery on my shoulder next Tuesday, and I won't be able to lift a stick (or a pencil, a shoelace, a feather ...) for at least two months. I have a SLAP tear (labrum of the shoulder joint, quite a bit worse than a rotator cuff tear) and have been in considerable pain for more than a year. So I'm glad to get it fixed, but it's kind of a big deal as far as recovery time and so forth. And now I have, finally, a brand-spanking-new, full-size set of drums for the first time since I picked up sticks in 1972, and I can't even bang, or stroke, or smash, or flam, pat, flick, or beat on the damned things.

This is killing me!

Last edited:
Great to hear they arrived!
Now you have something to look forward to during your recovery!
Good luck with the surgery Nancy.

Ah, just messing with you guys. The drums arrived at my sister's place in western Washington early this afternoon!

She sent pics of the boxes, which are largely intact. She opened one smashed-looking box and said everything looked OK. Since then, we've both been at work or otherwise occupied in our different time zones, with no way to really discuss the condition of the equipment. Even so, I'm really excited!

She is going to ship it all to me via FedEx, where my brother's wife works and can get me a sizable discount. It should be here in a week or so, but I have told them there's no hurry ...

... because I go in for surgery on my shoulder next Tuesday, and I won't be able to lift a stick (or a pencil, a shoelace, a feather ...) for at least two months. I have a SLAP tear (labrum of the shoulder joint, quite a bit worse than a rotator cuff tear) and have been in considerable pain for more than a year. So I'm glad to get it fixed, but it's kind of a big deal as far as recovery time and so forth. And now I have, finally, a brand-spanking-new, full-size set of drums for the first time since I picked up sticks in 1972, and I can't even bang, or stroke, or smash, or flam, pat, flick, or beat on the damned things.

This is killing me!

Well, I can't think of a better thing to help to push and inspire you to work hard at any therapy you have to do and to take care of yourself.

Oh hell, a shoulder tear never stopped me. You still have three limbs. Setup will be the biggest challenge. If you can con someone in helping you set up, I'd bang away at them like Rick Allen. :)

Hi Nancy, congratulations on the new kit and take time for that shoulder to heel. Wishing you the best.

Thank you for all your kind (or hilarious) comments! I've got another update, but it's kind of a mess (albeit one I should have anticipated, and there's your clue!).

More in the morning ...

You're such a tease Nancy!

This is particularly distressing for those of us in other parts of the world who have to spend their waking moments wondering "is Nancy OK?...will her drums heal?....has her shoulder been shipped to some strange location?"

You're such a tease Nancy!

This is particularly distressing for those of us in other parts of the world who have to spend their waking moments wondering "is Nancy OK?...will her drums heal?....has her shoulder been shipped to some strange location?"

LOL ... I know, I've really been flakey! In a little overwhelmed with trying to get work and home projects finished before I go in tomorrow, because I'll be out for so long. And honestly, I get really lazy when I'm on the pain meds ... at least, at this increased level! (I have a chronic pain thing that I take meds for, but it's more than usual with the busted shoulder, is what I mean.)

I received an email from the shipper, Pilot ("Who?" Beats me, I was hoping you knew!) that said:

Greetings from Pilot,

We are reaching out to you because we have 3 other shipments [the order I received was in 3 boxes; I hope that's what they mean! -- Nancy] going to the same address and we want to make sure that these orders are not duplicates. We want to confirm that you have received the complete order and that you are not missing any pieces. Please either give us a call at 1-877-549-0160 or please reply back to this email.

Thank you,
Isa
Amazon Team / Pilot National Customer Service Agent

I just thought it was funny that they were about to deliver (remember, this is all going to my sister's house) the original drum kit that was cancelled by ... I'm not sure who canceled it, but it wasn't me! Apparently, when first the order went to the vendor, it wasn't filled within a week, so Amazon or Pilot canceled it and refunded my money. I guess they did -- I haven't been able to check on the refund because I'm locked out of my bank account (online) after forgetting my password, and getting someone on the phone takes more time and patience than I have right now.

What I am wondering is this: Should I go ahead and accept the second set of drums, which is a five-piece Mapex Saturn in a natural finish, and sell it to someone in the forum for whatever it cost me? Would anyone be interested? Or I could keep it. But I hate to be selfish, and I really don't have room for three drum kits (these two, plus my little Breakbeats).

I do need to call Pilot Shipping back ASAP. Yeah, I know -- suddenly I'm in a hurry!

Help!

OR ... I could accept the extra shipment, and donate them to a local middle or high school's music department. We have some very poor students who otherwise would not be able to play! So much untapped talent, all for the lack of equipment.

Then again, I could buy several cheap sets for what one of these would cost, so maybe I should think about doing it that way.

Any input appreciated! Maybe this subject should be a different post.

Accept the "other" kit.

Sell it for more than you paid but less than the kit would cost retail.

Use the proceeds to buy a bunch of entry level kits for local schools.

Revel in your drummy awesomeness while you recover.

Accept the "other" kit.

Sell it for more than you paid but less than the kit would cost retail.

Use the proceeds to buy a bunch of entry level kits for local schools.

Revel in your drummy awesomeness while you recover.

THAT is a wonderful idea!

Thank you, James!

Paging Nancy...paging Nancy....

How's the new skellington?

And the new drums?

Well??

Pay £180 and get a vintage olympic kit from 70s or 60s. 3 Ply shells sing like nothing else, top tier shells and something youl pay 10x for these days. Easy to find too, blows any mid range to upper range kits out the water until your looking at £2k kits or anomalies.

Back