NDD! My Classic Maples are here!

Road Bull

Silver Member
Well, just short of six weeks ago I ordered a Ludwig Classic Maple kit. I ordered a 26x14, 14x10, and a 16x16 in Vintage Black Oyster Pearl. I got a call early yesterday that they had arrived. I am really happy with how they look. I love the finish. I won't get a chance to put them through their paces until Wednesday at practice. I can't wait.

Attachments

• LCM5 - Copy.jpg
    LCM5 - Copy.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 898
  • LCM3 - Copy.jpg
    LCM3 - Copy.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 883
  • LCM4 - Copy.jpg
    LCM4 - Copy.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 877
Thanks guys.

Yeah Bull, I think it was you who said, "Welcome to the world of $50 bass drum heads." LOL, not just that, but good luck finding stores that stock them. GC has become a lot less relevant than they even were to me. That's OK, there are still a few good drum shops around that carry big drum heads.

I also ordered a Pearl S1030 snare stand for the rack tom. I had tried out a Ludwig Atlas Pro, but I think I want a little more height in my time of transition. I would prefer the tom close to the bass and higher, and not completely off to the side and low. At least that's how I am going for now.

I am running Emperor/Ambassador to start out with. I am doing some experiments with my introduction to felt strips. I think I got it. I still want a fairly open lively, even a bit ringy sound.

I am glad the kit showed up this week. This means I get to play it for this weekend's show. Yippee!

Attachments

• LCM1 - Copy.jpg
    LCM1 - Copy.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 767
The wraps look exactly the same as they were in the 60's. Nice.

The wraps look exactly the same as they were in the 60's. Nice.

Yeah, they did a great job revisiting these and doing them right, I feel. My lame camera phone can't capture how cool the finish looks up close. I need to get a new camera.

And I'm still a fan of the red sparkles ;)

Red sparkle came in a super close second to these. Those are some of my favorite too. Maybe, if I am lucky, I will have those on a kit down the road. In fact, I spent the first week second guessing my choice because I would Google pictures of all the different finishes that I had to choose from. Man, they looked pretty good! But I had already had to change my mind once because they said that they didn't have Black Glass Glitter, after I made my order. It all worked out though.

I also ordered a Pearl S1030 snare stand for the rack tom. I had tried out a Ludwig Atlas Pro, but I think I want a little more height in my time of transition. I would prefer the tom close to the bass and higher, and not completely off to the side and low. At least that's how I am going for now.
!

Yeah, I could never play the tom in that position, low to the left. I put mine where it would be if there were two toms with the second one taken away. That means on a bass drum that size it would be really high and tilted. One of the reasons I will never have a bass drum that big, haha.

Yeah, I could never play the tom in that position, low to the left. I put mine where it would be if there were two toms with the second one taken away. That means on a bass drum that size it would be really high and tilted. One of the reasons I will never have a bass drum that big, haha.

Yeah, at least the high tom position will be where I try to start. Although, truth be told, it won't be THAT much different than my Tama Artstar "power tom" size position. lol. Maybe I have been practicing for just such an occasion. I may play around with it for a bit to feel it out and see what makes the most sense for me. If I get dead-set on having it much higher, I could look into flying it off a cymbal stand, but I don't think it will come to that. And, for me at least, aesthetically speaking, I would prefer the old snare basket rack mount.

I had trouble finding snare stands that would go high enough.I ended up taking tubing from two old junked tom stands and extending two early 2000s Ludwig stands.

Damn, I want Vintage Black Oyster.

I had trouble finding snare stands that would go high enough.I ended up taking tubing from two old junked tom stands and extending two early 2000s Ludwig stands.

Damn, I want Vintage Black Oyster.

The Pearl S1030 snare stand looks pretty cool. It says it goes up to nearly 26". That should work for me.

http://pearldrum.com/products/hardware/snare-stands/s-1030/

Now I will have Tama cymbal stands, DW hi-hat and pedals, and a Pearl snare stand. What a hobo right? I am sure it would drive some crazy not to have things match, but I figure I try to get the best gear for the job at hand. The Pearl design looks pretty solid and a lot less bulky than many other comparable stands.

Get a set Bull! Be drum rich and cash poor like me! You don't need to eat EVERY day right? Your Red Sparkle looks sharp man! Maybe keep an eye open for a used set to re-wrap in VBOP. If I ever pull the trigger on buying a house, I might be able to play again where I live. It kills me. Soon. But when I do get my own place, I might end up wanting a similar kit to play at the house. Not now, but down the road I will be keeping an eye out for a similar used kit. They pop up every once in a while.

Nice kit, welcome to the Vintage OBP club. Have you considered purchasing a Gauger Flexframe for your mounted tom ? It really helps the resonance when you place a tom in a snare stand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 661
Beautiful kit! I'm a huge fan of OBP but am amazed at how it differs, even among recently built Ludwig kits. The batch used to cover your shells is one of the best I've seen. Last year I bought one of the limited edition Ludwig Jazz Festival snares in OBP and your kit is much closer to the original "Ringo" finish than my snare. My only concern with this particular wrap would be ordering add-on drums down the road. I would think it's almost impossible to get a perfect match in OBP where other wraps would be easier to match up.

Back