NDD: Gretsch Brooklyn Cream Oyster

evilg99

Platinum Member
Had this kit on layaway for a bit...changed my mind because I was lusting after a 135th Anniversary kit. Came to my senses because I really didn't want another kit that never leaves the house. Also, wanted a modern kit in these standard 'rock' sizes. I may cut down the kick to a 22x14 in the future, and also add a tom mount...but for now it will stay as is.
Haven't played them enough to say how they sound, will report back.
This kit was at Dave's Drum Shop in Ottawa..they were ordered for Vinnie Colaiuta for his stop w/ Herbie Hancock at the Jazz Festival, but he bailed on that tour. So Vinnie has never touched them. :(
Brooklyn Cream Oyster, logo-stamped 302 hoops (love this), 22x18,10x7,12x8,14x12,16x14. The wrap is incredible in person, pictures do not do them justice.
Was recently in NYC again (Billy Joel's 100th concert at MSG), and worked / lived in Manhattan for a 6 month stint back in the late 90's. I like that these drums remind me of all that.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
Sweet looking kit! Congrats on your purchase.
It'll be interesting to hear your opinion on their sound.

Now you're talkin' !! I have the same kit/same finish minus the 14" FT. I think Gretsch really nailed it with the Brooklyn series. Maple/poplar creates a VERY versatile tuning range. You can tune them up high like Keith Carlock does, or low like the demo here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DHURNJsH2s&t=300s

Here's Cuca getting down on a set. Go to 2 minute mark to skip the chin wag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxdmNOHugg

Enjoy and get some setup pictures up. :)

Thanks guys. I'm thrilled with these. Just polishing and tuning them last night. Not going to get a chance to play them for a few days. Argggg

I have a Gretsch USA 12/14/18/6.5 and a Broadkaster 20x14 in matching Millennium Maple finish , it will be interesting to compare the USA kit to the Brooklyns.

I have discovered , through owning many kits - that I prefer vintage Ludwig and modern Gretsch. And all era Yamaha! LOL

Im now on a Gretsch Brooklyn kick. I love how they sound on the web. I would order a 24 kick ( possibly 18x24). 10,12,13 rack toms. 14, 16 floor toms. Just curious, since I have all DW 5000/9000 hardware for my Ludwigs, do DW and gretsch have same tom L arm diameter? I swiched out the dw l arms for Ludwig sizes on tom stands.

Im now on a Gretsch Brooklyn kick. I love how they sound on the web. I would order a 24 kick ( possibly 18x24). 10,12,13 rack toms. 14, 16 floor toms. Just curious, since I have all DW 5000/9000 hardware for my Ludwigs, do DW and gretsch have same tom L arm diameter? I swiched out the dw l arms for Ludwig sizes on tom stands.

Yes, DW and Gretsch share the same L-rod and floor tom leg diameter, which is the large 12.7mm (or 1/2 ")

Did you see that Gretsch also announced its own hardware line at NAMM this year? Another thing that is the result of being under the DW umbrella. It's a good thing, it seems the company is generally thriving under DW ownership.

Beautiful drums!

As an owner of a Brooklyn kit, I am a big fan of their sound. I would describe their sound as sort of a cross between vintage and modern. I pretty much had written off Gretsch, but these drums are wonderful and very underrated.

I really like the black oyster finish

m9k2omd5elnihudwqghl.jpg

Congratulations on your new kit !
That cream Oyster wrap is beautiful !
I really like the Brooklyns and they are a serious contender for my next kit, they fill the bill in every aspects !

I really like the black oyster finish

I really like that finish too ! Never saw it before, is it a current available finish, a limited run or something they don't make anymore ? Can't find it on Gretsch's website.
Too bad they stopped making the Red Oyster and the Blue Oyster too, i really like them as well...

Back