NDD - Acrolite

KamaK

Platinum Member
My first Acrolite arrived today.

Best $51 I ever spent.

Came with the Ludwig UFO case, stand, and Ludwig branded tuner. Original early-80's batter, almost completely unplayed and loose on the rim. Reso side was completely barren.

Serial 3100526 puts it after 79. Black face P85 with rubber grommet puts it early 80's.

I was really excited to try it out, and threw on the only suitable reso head I had in the heads-bin. I would have preferred a diplomat or Ludwig reso, but the thought of waiting to hear it.... that just wasn't gonna happen.

Been A/B testing with my Black Beauty all night.

I have to say, I'm pleased. For the price, it's a keeper. With the exception of the reso head, there's not a blemish on the thing. I honestly don't think it's ever been used.

There is one thing I'm disappointed with. I went into this thinking I was going to have a restoration project on my hands.. Looks like I was wrong. Not even the slightest hint of rust. I'll have to find a new project.

Snare wires are lively for a 12-strand... Everything tuned nice and quick. The 70's grease is still present and in full force on the tension rods.

I'll see if I can do some A/B audio samples tomorrow.

I'm going to hit the web, but is there anything I should be doing in the short-term to preserve this thing? I'm going to invest in heads and was prepared to put in a lot of elbow grease, but now that I see the thing, I'm not sure what needs to be done, if anything.

Last edited:

kallewille

I'm not sure what needs to be done, if anything.
Play it! :)

If it really hasn't been played much it's got a 30+ year deficit you need to catch up on.

Looks nice. What are your initial thoughts compared to your BB?

Thanks for sharing.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Play it! :)

If it really hasn't been played much it's got a 30+ year deficit you need to catch up on.

Looks nice. What are your initial thoughts compared to your BB?

Thanks for sharing.

My initial thoughts:

Not quite as bright
Not quite as sensitive.
Definite familial resemblance.
The largest tonal differences can be heard when cross-sticking.
Amazing snare for $51. It's about as close to my BB as Pork Pie BBB was.

I want to reserve judgement till after I get a modern batter and a real reso head on it. We'll see if it cures the brightness and sensitivity deficit. I'm pretty sure it will.

Last edited:

ron s

Congrats!
I picked up my first Acrolite a few weeks ago and we did a gig last Sat night.
I let some cat sit in (friend of the owner) and he played pretty well. I was able to go out in the crowd and hear what the band sounded like out there. The Acro cut through very nicely.
It is an amazing drum for the money. gets a bit of overtones at lower tuning-a slight twist of the dampener takes care of it.
I have it tuned fairly high and wide open right now after some experimentation.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts after you play with head selection and tuning.