Natural wood look or not?

mrchattr

Gold Member
Hey all...if one of the mods could make this a poll, that would make me smile, but if not, that's fine, I'll just read all the answers.

My question for you is this: Which do you like better? An all natural looking finish (wood finish) / a lacquer or wrap finish (that doesn't look wooden...ie, Dennis Chamber's yellow kit, all the DW fades, sparkle wraps, etc), or a colored kit where you can still see the woodgrain?

I'm curious to see which is the most popular. I personally like the lacquer or wrap finishes more than the natural wood finishes.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Either can look stunning or awful, depending on how it's done. Don't forget that people make drums out of fiberglass, particle board, plastic, metal, carbon fiber and other things, so there is lots of variation. Then there's the whole wide world of woodburning, carving, staining and painting. Most drums are wood ply, so the outer veneer can be something entirely different than the inner plies.

For me, nothing beats natural whole wood, but of course I have my biases.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I like the look of an exotic wood outer veneer with a pronounced grain (like Steamer's bubinga Peace kit, or a kit with Zebrawood, or even a very contrasting maple). I like wood grains a lot, but under the stage lights, nothing beats a sparkle or broken glass finish.

My vote goes for wrap, even though I still enjoy and fully appreciate a beautiful wood finish.

Disco Stu

I like the look of wood finishes, but they scratch and dent too easily, making it less than ideal for gigging. Therefore, I go with wraps.

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
I use to prefer laquers, but im a huge fan of the natural wood finish. But my favorite is a dark brown color.

Steamer

Platinum Member
I like the look of an exotic wood outer veneer with a pronounced grain (like Steamer's bubinga Peace kit, or a kit with Zebrawood, or even a very contrasting maple). I like wood grains a lot, but under the stage lights, nothing beats a sparkle or broken glass finish.

My vote goes for wrap, even though I still enjoy and fully appreciate a beautiful wood finish.

I've always loved the look of wood grain drums. Yes my 9 ply AA flame bubinga jazz kit are a treat on the eyes {and ears} agreed caddywumpus :}

Hand applied coats of laquer on the outside and a satin finish on inner plies of the visible grain you see with these AA flame bubinga wood shell drums

Attachments

• Peace Kahuna.jpg
    Peace Kahuna.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 179

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Plain wood finishes over any sparkle/fade wrap. Colored stains over everything.

Ditto...I really don't like the run of the mill plain maple finish but love some of the darker natural wood finishes, and of course the properly stained finishes showing the grain.

I like a good natural finish.

Attachments

• Truth Birch 3 (Medium).jpg
    Truth Birch 3 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 188

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Natural all the way, like Mushroom cloud said. My school has one, its awesome lookin. not really a fan of those exotic laquers. they just dont look "real" enough for me.