Native American Drum Mount

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Does anyone know of a way to mount Native American style frame drums? I recently checked one out from my local library musical instrument program, I liked it so much, I purchased one. I plan on using it mostly standing and dancing, but it has such a nice sound, I think it would be nice to add to my percussion setup.

I think it is interesting the rawhide handle seems to be integral to the sound, the whole thing resonates kind of like a gong. The library also had a tunable bohdran, with wooden hand not any thing like these light and flexible Native Drums.

Maybe I should just add the ankle shakers, and go the other way.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Maybe hang it from a boom stand?
I was thinking about using a cymbal stand, maybe with a cradle of some sort. Like a four prong fork for it to rest on.

I did get the ankle rattles out, I had to modify them to be bigger, but this worked. Its high energy.

These frame drums go right to the heart, I can feel the vibrations in my chest.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
It isn't exactly what I want either. The tone isn't nearly as good when I hold on to the frame. The rawhide suspension is awesome, the whole thing radiates, also the frame itself provides a very loud clicking sound which is useful for certain rhythms.

I think something like a snare stand might work, maybe with a net for it to rest on.

Mine is about 16" inches in diameter, and is tied like the one below.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Can't see the picture you posted. Would something like a small circular gong frame work that you could tie the rawhide strips to for suspension?

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Can't see the picture you posted. Would something like a small circular gong frame work that you could tie the rawhide strips to for suspension?

I think it was interesting the one I checked out from the library, had the head glued to the frame with a raw hide handle that was attached to the frame separately with a simple X shape, that's when I realized it was so integral to the tone.