Nashville-ish

8Mile

Platinum Member
I put down some drum tracks for a friend's original songs this week. This is a scratch track, really, with a few parts added later.

Grea will say this is a country song, and she might finally be right! My friend is more of an acoustic/folk-type songwriter, but this one has that flavor to it.

A big departure from what I usually post here. I don't think the drums are processed at all.

http://youtu.be/ilxTTqfoNIM

I'm picking up some compression, but no matter, a fairly natural sound feel has been maintained, & that's refreshing :)

The main deal here is the playing anyhow. Great feel, great pace, & absolutely right for the song. A pro drum part if ever I heard one. Nice job Larry!

Hey Larry! I chimed in to say nicely done. Had you heard the vocals and some of the other parts before tracking this?

Thanks, guys. I completely forgot I posted this.

dmacc, I did hear a rough track the guitarist had laid down before I recorded this. Whenever I work with him, he likes to leave a lot of the choices up to me. He has some basic ideas of how he wants the sections to go and then he wants me to come up with my own suggestions.

Tight work again, 8. That was held down spot on. Did you use a click?

It seems I handle country music better when it's instrumental. I felt no pain with that at all. Add some pedal steel and you'd have a sweet instrumental.

BTW Bruford rules, Peart fanboys are tools nyah nyah nyah ;)

Yes to the click, Anon. Pedal steel may actually end up on the finished track. But so will vocals, so you may prefer to consider this the final version :)

Oh, and did you hear? Peart locked his keys in his car. It took him an hour to get Bruford out.

Another salvo fired,
8Mile

I thought so. The time was disturbingly clean :)

From memory, that joke was already used on Family Guy - almost as derivative as your hero.

Another shot over the bough ...

Nice work, Larry! You nailed the sweet spot on that one and it felt great the whole way through. I was listening for the click in your playing but nope, still felt nice and fluid.

Gawd, I wish I was clever enough to chime in with something witty on the Peart-Bruford grudge match! What a couple of hacks. It's like a race to the bottom with those two - Bruford can't seem to find the '1' and Peart plays every quarter note as if it were '1' ... Whaddaya gonna do? Haha

Back