Narrowing down Evans heads and looking for opinions

beatdat

I played Remo heads when I was younger. Last year I picked up a used set of TAMA Silverstars, which the seller had put some newish Evans heads on - EMAD bass batter (which I love), G1s on the 10 and 12" toms (which I like) and frosty EC(2?)s on the 14 and 16" toms (which I don't like - nice tone, but no attack or projection).

I'll be changing the heads soon, and have decided to stick with EVANS. I've narrowed down the snare to a Power Center Reverse Dot on the batter and a 300 on the snare side. For the bass drum I'll probably go with an EMAD coated batter and an EQ3-NP coated white reso.

It's with the toms that I'm having a little trouble deciding on. I like drums with a full, low sound, along with good attack, projection and sustain. I also like to tension them somewhat high. All-in-all, a tall order to ask for. Anyway,

I was thinking of coated G1s, but I'd probably lose a lot of low end from the floor toms. With coated G2s, I probably lose a lot of sustain on the high toms, particularly the 10".

So, what I thought of was a G1 coated head for the 10" tom, a G12 coated head for the 12" tom, and G14 coated heads for the 14 and 16" floor toms. Reso sides would all be G1 coated tom reso heads.

I'm thinking that a setup like this may give me the best of all worlds, but I'm worried that mismatching my batter heads may also result in an uneven, or non-uniform, sound between my toms. Truly, I have no idea, though, and I'm just speculating.

What do you guys think? Any opinions?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
You’re going to get all kinds of conflicting replies on this, so may end up inconclusive.

With that, I haven’t liked the EC2s for the same reasons mentioned. I haven’t liked thicker than 10mil single ply heads, because to me they get more and more plasticky sounding the thicker they get, so I’ve kept all mine at 10mil and used strategically placed moongel pieces to control unwanted highs without killing sustain.

WallyY

Platinum Member
The g14 might be a bit bangy for the 14", but that's only a guess, otherwise, you're doing something similar to what I just did.
On my 10,12,16 I put on a smooth white ambassador, a coated ambassador, and a vintage ambassador, all over reso 7s. Making the heads thicker and darker as they get bigger.

The one G14 that I tried on a 16 tom sounded too harsh. It had that basketball ring sound.

trickg

Silver Member
I like coated heads because they are warmer with less of a plastiky attack. I like single ply heads because for toms, for me anyway, I find them a bit easier to tune.

Give coated G1s a try. I doubt if you'll hate them, but even if you don't particularly like them, they will be functional, and you can swap them out in 6 months when they're played out.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Evans fan here. I’ve tried many different heads on my Starclassic Bubinga kit, so my results will differ from yours. But . . .

Toms, resonant head: The Genera Reso is a 10mil clear head designed for the reso side. It’s a different fabrication than a G1, but the same thickness. I’ve tried the Reso 7 clear (a 7mil head) and my drums sounded thin, so I stick with Genera Reso clear on all toms. If your choice of G1 coated for reso mutes the overtones too much, go with the Genera Reso clear.

Toms, batter head: Some guys like to use different heads for different sizes, I’m not that scientific. Recently I’ve tried G1 clear, G14 clear, EC2, and UV1. The UV1 lasted two weeks; there was no clear stick attack and the drums sounded muted (choked/throttled overtones maybe?). EC2 simply remove high harmonic overtones, but not dramatically. G1 clear give my toms a great stick attack with a nice, open tone. Very clear sounding. I’m currently using G14 clear and there is less high-frequency overtones and more of a fundamental note. Plus, they’re a bit more durable at 14mil thick.

Snare reso: Out of curiosity I’ve tried all three hazy heads: 200, 300, 500, on my Starphonic Aluminum with a Tama high-carbon snappy. The 200 made the drum sound thin, not much body, with plenty of snappy articulation (it’s designed for orchestral snares). The 500 gave the drum a fat sound, but the snappy response suffered. The 300 hit the sweet spot for me, and most others, too.

Snare batter: Like any curious dude, I’ve tried a few dozen heads over the years. The Power Center Reverse Dot is a great head. It seems louder than a standard 10mil batter and I don’t know why. And it’s more durable. I had no problem tuning the snare with that head. I’m not a heavy hitter so I reverted back to coated G1. In part ‘cuz I figured when a drum maker puts a 10mil coated head on their snare, that’s the sound they’re targeting, and I want to hear what they’re hearing (at least I hope to).

Good luck with your quest for a great drum sound. Enjoy the process, it’s fun!

Heads.jpg

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I used to have a Silverstar : EQ4 on bass and coated G2 on toms. I didn’t like the snare, I have a SLP maple with coated G1 or power center.
I would now put coated G1 on Toms. With the G2 it was too dead on the racks but ok on floors.
Take a special care on reso side, I remember the factory reso heads were poor quality (very thin plasticy skins). I would go clear G1.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If I made a stack of all the heads I've tried, it would be 50 feet tall.

After all that, what I started from and came back to, is a 10 mil clear head on the reso, and a 1 or 2 ply batter head, coated or clear. Boom, that's it. I like 10 mil single plys on all heads, I think they have the best balance of crisp attack and deep tone.

With a good midrange tuning (2 cleared heads and a beneficial phase relationship between the top and bottom heads) and no muffling...it is IMO the best a drum can sound. Dots, control rings, oil, thicker single ply heads, gimmicks, they all subtract or color frequencies.

I would make an slight exception for pinstripe heads. A lot of people really like them.

The bass drum and snare are different animals, and the above does not apply there. I am referring to toms only.

Actually I really prefer a smooth white film over a coated or clear, but no one makes them anymore under 14" anymore, since Ludwig discontinued them, sad face. I just emailed Evans requesting such because I'm panicking. I'm really low on Ludwig heads, and have run out of some sizes. I found Remo crimplock smooth white thankfully, and they sound great, but they don't come under 14". WTF? (It's a marching head). And an 18" head I just got totally doesn't fit in my hoop, by a lot. WTF?

Evans makes a great fitting head. If they don't make smooth white crimplocked heads for me, in all sizes, I may have to take hostages until they do :)

cbphoto

Gold Member

After all that, what I started from and came back to, is a 10 mil clear head on the reso, and a 1 or 2 ply batter head, coated or clear. Boom, that's it.

Yup, that's the rabbit trail.

Gottliver

After all that, what I started from and came back to, is a 10 mil clear head on the reso, and a 1 or 2 ply batter head, coated or clear. Boom, that's it. I like 10 mil single plys on all heads, I think they have the best balance of crisp attack and deep tone.

With a good midrange tuning (2 cleared heads and a beneficial phase relationship between the top and bottom heads) and no muffling...it is IMO the best a drum can sound. Dots, control rings, oil, thicker single ply heads, gimmicks, they all subtract or color frequencies.

I would make an slight exception for pinstripe heads. A lot of people really like them.

The bass drum and snare are different animals, and the above does not apply there. I am referring to toms only.

Actually I really prefer a smooth white film over a coated or clear, but no one makes them anymore under 14" anymore, since Ludwig discontinued them, sad face. I just emailed Evans requesting such because I'm panicking. I'm really low on Ludwig heads, and have run out of some sizes. I found Remo crimplock smooth white thankfully, and they sound great, but they don't come under 14". WTF? (It's a marching head). And an 18" head I just got totally doesn't fit in my hoop, by a lot. WTF?

Evans makes a great fitting head. If they don't make smooth white crimplocked heads for me, in all sizes, I may have to take hostages until they do :)

Remo smooth white Ambassadors ...6 - 40”...

https://remo.com/products/product/ambassador-smooth-white/

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Remo smooth white Ambassadors ...6 - 40”...

https://remo.com/products/product/ambassador-smooth-white/

They are not crimplocked and that makes a lot of difference to me. I have some. I just tried one the other day to see one more time if I liked it and no I don't. Others may. To my ear, they don't have the attack of the crimplocked heads. They are warm and mellow. A nice warm and mellow, but I want aggressive attack. Crimplocked heads have much shallower collars. I hear a definite difference. I like the Remo crimplock heads. I just need them smaller.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Not much for me to say. Go G1 over G1. Clear on bottom. Whatever you want up top.

I have a suspicion that "all" double ply heads are defective by design. I even have a full set of Emperors with a week's worth of playtime on them that have sat unused for two years. I'd literally give them away to any drummer who visits my basement and wants them, as I have too much pride to toss them in the trash bin.

IhK56W0.jpg

beatdat

So, little backing for the G12s or G14s... alright.

If I had the kit I want, G1s would be on all the toms. But my Silverstars are birch and, frankly, a little bright - and I want to get the lowest fundamental notes out of the 14 and 16" floor toms.

So, I'm thinking coated G1s on the 10 and 12" toms, and coated G2s on the 14 and 16" floor toms? Anyone ever try that combination?

Nobody seemed to be going for coated reso heads - Evans makes a specific one for toms; seems like they would add a little warmth to the toms. And I really dig the look. Nobody into them? Why not?

Tamaefx

Silver Member
The Silverstar toms are bright, you're right, and shallow if you got the last version (10x7 - 12x8 ; mine was 10x8 - 12x9).
To tame down the brightness, maybe go coated G1 over coated G1 ; sounds like a drum made an interesting video on that matter. Anyway you can toss the factory reso head.
I tried clear G14 skins on my signia floors (14 and 16) and wasn't that convinced, compared to G1, a bit more attack but I had the impression that it was more "plastic", I preferred G1 or G2.

Gottliver

I think that getting the lowest fundamental is a myth. What you are trying to accomplish, in my opinion, is a tone where the higher order harmonics are reduced and the fundamentals are more present. That being said, keep in mind that as you play with other musicians or even by yourself, the higher harmonics will be less present in the wash of the cymbals and the din of those darned geetars. So coated G1/Ambassadors will sound fatter than when you are just hitting them on their own while judging their tone.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I use Evans clear G2's over clear G1's on all of my toms, and they sound great. Peace and goodwill.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
If it helps I went back to Evans and had used the EC series, tops and bottoms. I now use the G12 on top and kept the EC2 reso heads for now.
I really like the G12's because they sit in the middle of not too dampened and not too ringy.
They also make good reso heads as well, presently using a G-Plus which was the predecessor of the 12's as the reso on my 20" bass drum.

Old Dog new Cans

I use Evans clear G2's over clear G1's on all of my toms, and they sound great. Peace and goodwill.

I have G2's over clear Ambassadors. I really dig the sound. If a good sound means multiple brands, I'm totally fine with that. I know a lot of people are Not. I have Aquarian bass heads within that same kit. No loyalty here.

beatdat

So, I ended up going with coated G1s over coated Reso 7s for the mounted and floor toms. Tuned them up and they sound great! I was going to go with coated G1s over coated G1s but, counterintuitively, learned that a thicker reso head would produce more overtones rather than fewer (which I wanted to avoid because of the inherent brightness of the birch shells). Glad I made this decision because now I need no muffling whatsoever on the toms. In the future, I may try a coated G2 on the 16" floor tom (although it does sound great with a coated G1). Surprisingly, the 14" floor tom sounds the best of all my toms.

For the bass drum, I went with a coated EMAD on the batter and a coated non-ported EQ3 on the reso side. It's wide open with no muffling and the most thunderous I have ever heard my bass drum sound. The thicker muffling ring is actually a bit too much, so I'm using the thinner muffling ring.

For the snares I went with Power Centre Reverse Dots on the batter and 300s on the resos. They sound fantastic on my steel 6.5" Pearl free floating snare drum, but there's a little too much ring on my birch Silverstar 5" snare, so I'll probably have to put a bit of muffling on it or try some alternate tunings.

All in all, I'm more than pleased with my new Evans heads, and I'm probably a new convert to their brand (sorry Remo)!

rebonn

My thoughts on the G1s: plastic sounding but sound pretty good with an attack when mic'd. I think they're a good choice if you want a more aggressive head. I'm not a fan of 2 ply heads.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Having tried one once on an Acrolite, I am not a fan of reverse dot heads. I found that the feel and sound was too different depending on whether I struck the head on the reverse dot or just to the side of it.

For me, Genera HD Dry is the snare batter head.