Namm Moscow experience

hey guys, hope all is well.
i have seen namm shows on youtube so many times and was so excited that one was gonna be held down here in Moscow. so i went and holy crap that was pathetic!!! one spot was displaying ddrum with no rep to be seen around. another spot was selling vic firth drum sticks for a price higher than a local strore. a few istambul cymbals were hanging in the same booth. and that is it. all in all to me it was like a bunch of low end music shops from around the city were trying to sell some of their stuff off. pretty piss weak effort if you asked me. but at the same time i recon it's pretty representative as to what music industry is like here at the moment. we are not even out of the caves yet. and i honestly don't see it changing any time soon.
rant over. thank you)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
In all honesty though, I'm not surprised. Without going into geopolitics, there are a lot of reasons that the larger American and European companies might not attend a music sales festival in Russia. There are a lot of financial and political reasons for not attending.

It's a bit like older times when the only instruments available to Russian musicians were built in indigenous factories. There's a really good page here:

http://cheesyguitars.com/ussr_history.html

I suspect that much the same thing is occurring now.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I couldn't imagine trying to import a dozen drum sets to Russia knowing that I was probably going to come back with 10 of them...then trying to export them back to the USA. The red tape and paperwork I'm sure are ridiculous, and in a lot of cases, it's luck of the draw and greasing hands with with dollar bills.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Well, hopefully one day that market opens up and you have a thriving music instrument industry there! If the demand is there, the changes should follow.