Namm 2019 rumors

ESR14

Right??? I know this forum engine forwards and backwards, it's the same as my football forum. Mods need to engage the Rep System so we can hand out pos-rep to cool things like that photoshop!
I didn’t realize that was a limitation on this forum. That would be a really cool addition.

I didn’t realize that was a limitation on this forum. That would be a really cool addition.
Yeah, you can do all sorts of cool stuff on V-Bulletin. The rep system is a lot of fun as well as the "thumbs-up/thumbs-down"-feature which will highlight a post that 5 or more people tag, while hiding any posts that get 5 negatives. You can still read the offending post, but you have to hit the drop-down button to do so.

There's also groups, tags, chat, skin modes, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't even know about.

mkelley

Ludwig has been offering very different drums than from that fairly golden era you mentioned, and only in the last dozen years began to re-introduce drums comparable to the older stuff (as have many builders trying to capture classic sounds.) They currently offer six distinct US-made lines of drums.

As for Ludwig-exclusive innovation, most recently there have been some nicely-engineered tom mounts that don't exist elsewhere (and that happen to be functional and cool.) But really, how much is left to innovate anyway? Companies cook up 'gadgets' all the time, but are those really innovations, especially if they don't stand the test of time?

Ludwig manages to fill a lot of real-world needs for drummers, and that's fine with me. I don't demand that they innovate or even be first with something. I believe they were the last in a long list of companies to offer a copper snare, and I also feel they did it best (with the Copperphonic in 2015.)

Bermuda
I have a lovely 60's Club Date and had a WFL, which is now at Electric Lady. They're great drums but when you look at how to improve our tools, Ludwig hasn't improved in decades. Actually, I stand corrected and agree with you, the work Josh Allen did handed Ludwig a great improvement and a unique set of products.

Bermuda, I love the older Ludwig stuff but when it's time to look for another mass produced modern kit, they really have nothing to offer me that isn't in a 40-50 year old kit or a bespoke kit.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Looks like Pearl is introducing a maple gumwood drum set.
Can you say Jasper?
Well, I checked them out being a huge user of those Jasper shells, and Pearl's is a 6-ply deal, with 4-ply outer maple, and 2-ply inner gum, but they give it a 60-degree bearing edge (not the old 30-degree) and die cast hoops, but I must admit they look very close to the old Jaspers. However, Gretsch doesn't go into detail how they alter their ply lay-up depending on size, or if they even alter the lay-up of the 6-plies.
It is intriguing but the NAMM show is NOT where you go to hear the subtleties involved. I would love to take their display kit into a room and just try things. At least they outfit these drums with coated ambassadors and a PowerStroke 3 on the bass drum!

I'm also told it is a limited edition, available in three wraps and a matte natural maple, and they only offer two kit configurations. Pearl hasn't posted a pricing list yet, so I don't know if they plan on offering other add-on drums. I would assume they are, but there's nothing printed on that issue yet. Pearl could very well just be dipping it's toes in the water to see if there's any demand. If enough people place orders, then I'm sure they'll start cranking them out. But from what I saw walking around for almost an hour was that nobody really noticed them - there are, after all, three types of Masters drums now. But what do I know?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
DW drums, I could not get passed that horrid snare sound and aweful theme, I had to stop the video : https://youtu.be/oYUAFb7gpxs
Agreed on the wrist slashingly boring theme, but for once, I liked the sound on an "official" DW video. They usually EQ the hell out of them & crush them to within an inch of their life. This was somewhere approaching a real sound with an open snare. Granted, the snare higher overtones weren't exactly harmonic sweet, but I'll take that over someone stepping on snow any day!

TK-421

I literally did a spit take when I saw your comic pic! Well done!
Me too !!!! Hahahaha
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all the week, and don't forget to tip the veal.

(ba-dum-dum)

Mods need to engage the Rep System so we can hand out pos-rep to cool things like that photoshop!

The rep system is a lot of fun as well as the "thumbs-up/thumbs-down"-feature which will highlight a post that 5 or more people tag, while hiding any posts that get 5 negatives. You can still read the offending post, but you have to hit the drop-down button to do so.
That would be cool. I've always wished there were something equivalent on here to the thumbs up on FB. Thumbs down would be fun too for certain posts.

But since this is a NAMM thread, I should mention that I'm going tomorrow. But I've already been to a couple of NAMM shows in LA; I just saw Simon Philips tonight with his band Protocol, and Wednesday night I saw Animals As Leaders with the amazing Matt Garstka on drums. Opening up for AAL was this cool band I'd never heard of before: Evan Marien x Dana Hawkins, sort of a cool electronica duo with an absolutely INSANE drummer! If you want to see some fireworks behind the kit, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rzXA_NuZMw

Tomorrow I'll be on the lookout for those new Pearl drums with maple/gum shells, as I'm a Gretsch guy and I'm curious how closely they'll sound. I may even stop by the Sabian booth and ask them WTF they were thinking with their chicken scratch laser-firing logo.

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
I'm a Sabian guy and I'm really not a fan of that new logo one bit.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing seeing the reaction, pretty much all of it negative.

If you're trying to be edgy and appeal to the younger players fine but a change that pretty much alienates everyone else in the process isn't a good call.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I'm a Sabian guy and I'm really not a fan of that new logo one bit.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing seeing the reaction, pretty much all of it negative.

If you're trying to be edgy and appeal to the younger players fine but a change that pretty much alienates everyone else in the process isn't a good call.
I kind of understand the 'edgy' thing, but the problem is it looks very like early 90s edgy... though admittedly I don't really know what 2019 edgy looks like anyway. I agree that whatever gain the might get seems like in the process they are alienating a big group as well. I don't know, maybe they are just thinking that that group already owns what they are going to own and aren't going to be getting a whole lot of new stuff or logowear or anything like that.

Anyway it looks like that logo will be around at least for a bit since it is all over their website now.

IBitePrettyHard

This is straight from Sabian's website. What a pretentious list of garbage. They're trying to be edgy and hip like a No Fear marketing campaign from the 90s. They need to fire their marketing department.

Instead of the Red Bull spiel they should stick to things drummers actually care about like sound, musicianship, and the quality of their products.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
This is straight from Sabian's website. What a pretentious list of garbage. They're trying to be edgy and hip like a No Fear marketing campaign from the 90s. They need to fire their marketing department.

Instead of the Red Bull spiel they should stick to things drummers actually care about like sound, musicianship, and the quality of their products.
Also from Sabian's website:
"It’s not just a new logo: it’s us tapping into the unbound, ‘don’t-care-what-others-think’ philosophy drummers live by."

Not sure a company adopting a "don't care what you think" attitude is a good thing.

cutaway79

Silver Member

Seriously, who wrote that?

3. To treat our cymbals as living things... I don't personally hit the crap out of living things with sticks. That's just me though.

6. To always look out for the next... The next what?

8. Never ask for permission... #metoosabian

9. To place greater value in our scarcity... Are Sabian cymbals scarce? I feel like I've seen a lot of them.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I had a nightmare last night that I woke up and my Sabian HHX Evolutions had the new logo on them !! j/k , I don't really care too much about logos or badges. I just wish they'd make them smaller.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Also from Sabian's website:
"It’s not just a new logo: it’s us tapping into the unbound, ‘don’t-care-what-others-think’ philosophy drummers live by."

Not sure a company adopting a "don't care what you think" attitude is a good thing.
I would agree. Making products for the most people seems the way to go for me.
Never compromise. I'm sure every touring pro who walks in the door asking for something special or different, gets taken care of through compromise.
I guess if I have to wait for a cymbal to mature, there very well could scarce. How about I let the cymbal mature on my cymbal stand???

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Yeah, you can do all sorts of cool stuff on V-Bulletin. The rep system is a lot of fun as well as the "thumbs-up/thumbs-down"-feature which will highlight a post that 5 or more people tag, while hiding any posts that get 5 negatives. You can still read the offending post, but you have to hit the drop-down button to do so.

There's also groups, tags, chat, skin modes, and probably a bunch of other stuff I don't even know about.
There are groups to join. This is a forum trying to promote discussion. We frown on negatives, and thumbs up or down is reserved for Facebook and Youtube. But thanks for playing along. If one doesn't like a post the best course of action is to move on.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
"FOR DRUMMERS WHO DON’T FOLLOW THE CROWD.
SABIAN IS ALL IN TO CREATE EVEN MORE OF WHAT DRUMMERS WANT TO EXPRESS THEIR OWN SOUNDS AND DO THEIR OWN THING. WHO CARES WHAT THE CROWD PLAYS." Seriously? Sounds like a Ford F-15O commercial. Who is seriously going to say, "I prefer to follow the crowd and really care what the crowd says," in the first place.
And yet part of their "ten commandments" says they don't compromise. which is it???

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
9. To place greater value in our scarcity... Are Sabian cymbals scarce? I feel like I've seen a lot of them.
I like Sabian. Not fanboy like, but they make cymbals and I like cymbals. Logo aside, we could help them achieve #9, by boycotting them until they change the logo back. Perhaps then they would also ditch the "don't care" philosophy. Seriously, companies who stop caring not only alienate their consumer base but also shoot themselves in the foot.

Anyone else think their new logo looks partially stolen from the Slayer logo?

Attachments

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Remember when Tama did that ad with Lars Ulrich drinking beer and swearing back in the 80s to appeal to all the pre-teens? I suppose every company gets to make a mistake once in a while ;)