NAMM 2018

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
I searched for a 2018 NAMM thread & nothing came up. So here we goooo...

After many years of hoping, wishing and praying, I'm finally getting to go! As a first time NAMMer, some advise would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll need to see a chiropractor after the weekend as my head will be on a swivel! But a fun pain for sure.

The drummers I'd love to meet all won't be there, but I'm sure many I've admired over the years will. It'll be good to see all the products as well.

On a forum note: Is there a way to meet some folks from here? I'd love to rub elbows with the real drum celebrities in this art.

My (NAMM-approved) FAQ is at www.bermudaschwartz.com/namm

The convention center was already huge and it was expanded again last year. So definitely wear comfy shoes!

Bermuda

As Bermuda pointed out, definitely wear comfortable shoes and the type of badge you have will affect how your received by the various companies there. I attended 3 summer shows back in the 90s as a buyer for the store I worked for and EVERY show I had several job offers. There was only 1 that I seriously considered and only because it was out of the country.

Again, this was the 90s and distribution, marketing, and sales are quite different now so I don't know if any of the manufacturers still consider the NAMM shows a potential for hiring sales and promotions staff.

Some tips I've acquired going to other types of trades shows as a "fan" rather than a buyer:

1. If you really want to discuss a specific product with a supplier or manufacturer, offering to buy them a sandwich or a Coke since you're heading to the concession booth anyway can go a long way in getting sit-down time.

2. If you buy from or work with a certain dealer frequently and think they display or market a product line better than other people, manufacturers like to hear about this stuff.

3. Being able to comment casually about how new or pending legislation could help a manufacturer sometimes opens up an interesting discussion about sourcing materials, labor, etc. And I'm not talking about a nasty political discussion either.

4. No one likes a know-it-all. Spewing facts and figures memorized from sales literature or catalogs about a product line will most likely get you a raised eyebrow and a "go away" type look. Not that I ever did that... ;-)

5. Don't be the annoying camera brandishing tourist getting in everyone's way. :)

6. Pace yourself and make sure you hydrate.

Hey Commander! I’m also going to NAMM. And it’s my first time too.

I’m going as a guest of Ronn Dunnett of Dunnett Classic Drums.
My badge will say “Demonstrator”. So I guess I can go around demonstrating how to play all of the musical instruments at the show. (Just kidding)

Thank you Bermuda and Lee for information about the show. I do plan on bringing a drum key;
so I can go over to the Ludwig Booth and de-tune all of Bermuda’s snare drums.

Great stuff here guys.
I'll have an "Artist" badge. Not sure what that means in the context of NAMM, but I'll roll with it.

The endorsee I'm going with has me up on some things about the show, but I wanted to hear from those here too.
Shoes and water for sure, maybe a pair of sticks. Not much else (at least the first day until I can get a lay of the land).

I have heard that if you want to buy something from a particular vendor, to wait until Sunday. As they tend to discount items they don't want to haul back.
True?

You could also take all the heads off the toms and turn them into concert toms. Those are back in right?

And since they’ve got Mod Orange kits out now, you could say you’re making the setup more “authentic” for that Densmore sound.
https://youtu.be/t-I89e7PNhg
When I heard this video, I was shocked how his drums sounded alone!

And since they’ve got Mod Orange kits out now, you could say you’re making the setup more “authentic” for that Densmore sound.
https://youtu.be/t-I89e7PNhg
When I heard this video, I was shocked how his drums sounded alone!

Oh my Gosh. Those toms sound horrible! And that video was made,I guess, to promote and sell those Ludwig drums.
Unbelievable. Now I know why I hated songs by the Doors.

Oh my Gosh. Those toms sound horrible! And that video was made,I guess, to promote and sell those Ludwig drums.

I have a feeling the higher ups at Ludwig weren’t too pleased to hear that video! If they asked who tuned them, I bet the response would be a timid “We let John tune them”.

I know no one cares, but for the record, I like the way those toms sound....

Trying to go to NAMM this year for the first time but being my first time trying I waited too long to ask around and am having a had time finding a spare pass. Any suggestions? Maybe as a member of the concert tom fan club?...

Trying to go to NAMM this year for the first time but being my first time trying I waited too long to ask around and am having a had time finding a spare pass. Any suggestions? Maybe as a member of the concert tom fan club?...

Like Densmore said, it 'is' his sound, and the reality is- its the classic single headed sound of the period.

Who plays bossa nova grooves on rock songs? Actually I do sometimes.

They don't sound bad because they are concert toms. They sound bad because they are not tuned properly. Or the heads are bad. It's a very sour note with nasty overtones.

They don't sound bad because they are concert toms. They sound bad because they are not tuned properly. Or the heads are bad. It's a very sour note with nasty overtones.

I agree, and I’m guessing it’s because they’re tuned JAW, instead of the normal tuning for concert toms. In my experience, when you’re using toms without the bottom heads on, they really benefit being pitched up a lot more, sounds a little more musical instead of a blatt sound like John’s have.

sounds a little more musical instead of a blatt sound like John’s have.

Ha! Yeah "blatt". I need to remember that word.
"I got to the rehearsal hall and the toms were sounding like blatt,
so I re-tuned them.

Back