NAMM 2015 - Saturn V - I need info! (Excited)

Kernash

Hello there, anyone at NAMM able to give any info about Saturn V?
Was thinking about getting a IV before I watched the picture on Mapex USA facebook!

Hello there, anyone at NAMM able to give any info about Saturn V?
Was thinking about getting a IV before I watched the picture on Mapex USA facebook!

According to a sales rep in Mt. Joliet, unsold Saturn IVs are being removed from stock and having the bearing edge redone. I was trying to buy a set of IVs two days ago but they had already been taken out of stock to be converted.

This was via speakerphone at the counter of a retailer.

Is this like a recall? Because there is a problem with the bearing edge?

Or is this an idea where they re-market these as "new and improved" kits?

I don't know if it was marketing spiel or not. Unless there was some secret code being used, the rep didn't know that I was standing there.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to confuse. I was referring to the marketing built around their much vaulted bearing edge design, thus I assume the reason for reworking edges on older stock to bring it up to latest spec.

Seems like they are getting the sames edges as Mapex Armory kits. Easy tuning or something like that, better contact with the drumhead *shrug*

It didn't sound like a recall, more like they were taking the IVs and making whatever changes were necessary to make them Vs.

I initially went into the shop because they were advertising "BLOWOUT PRICING!" on Saturn IV kits. I had never been to this store before and I assumed (I know, so silly of me) that they were blowing out their in stock 2014 merchandise to make room for incoming 2015 stuff. Nope. You come in, they call and order it and it gets delivered in a couple of days.

Except that what I wanted had already been pulled for conversion, hence no sale.

It didn't sound like a recall, more like they were taking the IVs and making whatever changes were necessary to make them Vs.

I initially went into the shop because they were advertising "BLOWOUT PRICING!" on Saturn IV kits. I had never been to this store before and I assumed (I know, so silly of me) that they were blowing out their in stock 2014 merchandise to make room for incoming 2015 stuff. Nope. You come in, they call and order it and it gets delivered in a couple of days.

Except that what I wanted had already been pulled for conversion, hence no sale.

How much were they selling the kits for?

I don't like the idea of taking a Saturn IV, modifying it then calling it a Saturn V. That's like if Ford took the leftover 2014 Mustangs, put new wheels on them and called them 2015 Mustangs. "Look, now it's a 2015!"

I don't like the idea of taking a Saturn IV, modifying it then calling it a Saturn V. That's like if Ford took the leftover 2014 Mustangs, put new wheels on them and called them 2015 Mustangs. "Look, now it's a 2015!"

Couldn't agree more. I'm hoping this is a false rumor about naming modified ones V. I've never heard of a company basically having a recall and then touting what they fixed as new and improved. Seems odd.

I was a bit taken aback when I heard it as well. I've been a guitar player for a long, long time and have picked up several year end closeouts on Les Pauls over the years. They're serial numbered to include the year though, and I guess I just assumed that everyone did the same, push the old stock out through sales to make room for the new year's offerings.

I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not, but three days ago when I was looking for the Mapex kit I checked out DCP and searched for 'Mapex Saturn IV tom' and was offered several pages of them. (Thinking of adding an 8x7.)

Just typed the same search and found nothing. 'Mapex Saturn IV' results turned up only the bass drum tom mounts, but 'Mapex Saturn turned up Saturn Vs and Saturn MH.

http://www.drumcenternh.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=mapex+saturn

Same images, same colors as the Saturn IVs.

You're not buying a year, you're buying a specification. Saturn IV and Saturn V are exactly the same, right down to the screws and the finishes, apart from the bearing edge and tom holder. You'd have absolutely no way of telling a Saturn V from a Saturn IV that'd had the Soniclear bearing edge applied and the tom arms swapped out.

Your buying a model... Not a spec. To have one model converted to another after it was finished and labeled a prior model seems disingenuous.

In any case, I doubt Mapex is taking finished, unsold Saturn IV and converting them to V. My guess is they are taking shells originally intended for use in the IV and changing the edges for use in the V lineup.
That seems more practical to me.

does the soniclear bearing edge enhaces the tom response?? maybe if i put an evans 360 drum head in a saturn IV and another in a saturn V, maybe i coulnd't notice any difference.
mapex says the soniclear makes the drumhead sits flat on the shell, but that is something Evans is making with their 360 technology? i don't know if this could make a real difference
i have a tama starclassic bubnga elite kit, i was using remo heads and my toms had that problem the head didn't sit flat
but when i put an evans 360 the problem was solved completlly, the head sits really flat and there is no problems to tune the drums
i'm thinking to buy a mapex saturn kit as a second kit and i don't know if i wait for the saturn V or buy a saturn IV and use evans heads

Back