DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0617.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0619.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

The folks over there at Sonor seem obsessed with ugly finishes. Or is it just me? There are a couple there that look nice (I like the mahogany burst and black sparkle), but most are just atrocious.

The folks over there at Sonor seem obsessed with ugly finishes. Or is it just me? There are a couple there that look nice (I like the mahogany burst and black sparkle), but most are just atrocious.

how could you say that about some of the most refined looking drums on the market? every one of those drums looks like a piece of high end hand made furniture

i can't wait till i can afford something like these, simple and elegant

Strange. I was just thinking Sonor had put everyone else to shame including DW

Sonor just does it differently than anyone else, their finishes are no exception.

Some are cool, others - not so much.

These are important points to consider when buying a kit with an unusual finish.
You have to ask yourself, Will I like this finish tomorrow?
If I want to sell this kit, Will the finish hold back a quick sale?

Remember, most of those are just standard finishes for the classix and chinese drums. If you see the array of finishes for the SQ2, and what is possible, you will likely forget this thread.
As far as the few on here, I don't know how you cannot like the Tiger, the Red Tribal, and the Stratawood. Those are cool. There are some ugly ones, but I would never consider these dumb finishes to represent the company Sonor as a whole.

I've been to their website and had a look at the finishes there, too, and thought the same thing. They're just busy as all giddy-up and they hurt my head. Seasick is more like it.

I know their shells are the highest of the high-end and no one in their right mind would take them to task for any quality issues. But I also know that I'm not the first one who doesn't share their aesthetic sense, either.

I've been to their website and had a look at the finishes there, too, and thought the same thing. They're just busy as all giddy-up and they hurt my head. Seasick is more like it.

Well, give an example one at a time.

Well, give an example one at a time.
Well, I was just at Sonor's website and with a cursory look, I couldn't find any finishes! What's up with that? I know I saw some there before... Am I missing something?

Fortunately, SoCalMike has provided some examples right here on on this thread, so I'll just go through those: I can live with the Black, the Blue Fade is okay (but not my cup of tea), the Mahogany Burst looks nice and Black Glass is nice. There are four that I could live with.

The rest? I'd buy a DW or a Ludwig before accepting any of those finishes. But that's just me. I get that it's all very subjective and all that. If you like them, then great.

MikeM., I hear what you are saying, although I would'nt include the Force stuff they put out in Namm for sake of argument. They DO actually have cool finishes for the 3007.

Anyway, with regard to the ones shown, when I go back again and again and look at those, they are actually all pretty cool finishes, it's just the ARRANGEMENT with how they just lumped them together creates an unpleasantness. That is what I think is going on here.

When you get a chance, try to look on the Sonor website at the finishes one by one, and I'm telling you, with a plain background, they are not what people here think.

Also, Sonor did'nt even really show SQ finishes. They are almost limitless.

The only S-Classix finishes that look nice to me are the Rosewood satin, Birdseye Maple satin, and Walnut Roots satin--and those are all just "OK."

The Delite options are way better--in particular the Violet Sparkle, Birdseye Azure, and Birdseye Cherry.

However, I really wish one of the big boys (Pearl, Tama, Sonor, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc.) would just make a simple selection of stain lacquer solid color options: yellow, orange, blue, etc. That's not that hard, folks. I shouldn't have to order an ultra expensive Masterworks or SQ2 just to get a yellow or orange or other similar basic lacquer finish. Absurd.

Just give me a nice old set of Rosewood Phonics and I'll be happy.

You know what's funny, is the Rosewood is pretty much the same look for the outer ply, but those classic wood finishes just don't seem to look the same on 90's onward Sonor. IMO, it's the hardware that just does'nt look as "husky" or something.

Funny enough, for lugs, I think I actually prefer the Solid Force design over the delicate, dainty SQ/Delite/Classix...

You know what's funny, is the Rosewood is pretty much the same look for the outer ply, but those classic wood finishes just don't seem to look the same on 90's onward Sonor. IMO, it's the hardware that just does'nt look as "husky" or something.

Funny enough, for lugs, I think I actually prefer the Solid Force design over the delicate, dainty SQ/Delite/Classix...

really? i always thought the force lugs looked really cheap

Some finishes I like; others, well .... no thanks.

I'm still partial to Gretsh, Ludwig, DW, Craviotto, Brady, Mapex, C&C and 50 others!

GJS

Back