My wish for a Band

moxman

Silver Member
Johnny Cash’s version of Ring of Fire is awfully cool with trumpets.😀
Interesting story behind that.. one day i heard it for the millionth time and thought that's weird.. what does the the Mariachi band have to do with that song? So I looked it up.. according to an interview I came across, he originally wrote the song for his wife but it didn't go anywhere.. then one night he had a dream and heard the song in the dream with a Mariachi band in it.. so he re-recorded it and the rest is history.

moxman

Silver Member
I've played in several big bands with brass sections.. and it's a trip! The only caveat I'd say is big bands need big gigs to make money..Bands like TOP, EWF, Chicago have one thing in common - they are killer bands..

MntnMan62

With improved skills this would be my choice for a band. All of these instruments coming together to play in unison. Fantastic. I wore out my T-shirt with the inscription, "If it ain't got brass, it ain't a band" My opinion of course. What say you.??

Tower is one of my all time favorite bands. I've been listening to them since I was a teen. I lost count how many times I've gone to see them in concert. I've taken my son to see them twice and he's only 17. I used to to downtown in Buffalo where I was going to college back in the early 80's to see them play at the Tralfamador Cafe. I had no problem going by myself when no one would go with me. The best for me was when Garibaldi decided to come back to the band after a many year hiatus. Now, I only wish that Lenny Pickett could come back. I'd say of the modern sax players he is one of my two favorites after Michael Brecker. Check out their latest album. It's the first album they've come out with that actually sounds like the Tower of old. Slick and funky. A lot of the albums before this one all sounded too commercial and overly simplistic. This one is more in the vein of East Bay Grease and Bump City. I'm diggin' on Tower of Power.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Well I got a response. They liked my promo and just waiting to work out an audition. Yay!!!
Excellent news - hoping it works out both ways. Remember to enjoy, smile, and start each song at a slightly lower tempo than your nerves tell you to ;)

specgrade

Drums, Bass, Guitar and Vocal. Four payments. Why complicate things? Maybe two guitars. For me, simple is better.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
My first gig after four months will be next Friday, in an 11 piece band with 4 horns. Absolutely looking forward to it. We’re learning ‘September’ especially for the occasion. It is a big wall of sound with party songs like Walking on Sunshine and Celebrate. Even Mustang Sally sounds fresh with the horn section.

But as CM Jones suggested earlier, its very different from playing in a three piece band (which I also do). In such a large band you are just one cog a big machine, so there’s no scope for errors or ad libbing - you must be reliable and solid, not much interaction. But the sound of the horns! Wow. Especially the growling bari sax at the bottom with screech trumpet at the top.

BruceW

I can't see what GruntersDad was referring to in the original post (likely has to do with what our work systems will allow on the system), but I'm a big fan of brass... This weekend, a friend posted a YouTube video of a version of Cult Of Personality by a group called Brass Against... I was blown away. Spent the next hour watching other stuff they did. War Pigs! With brass...it was awesome. Look'em up and entertain yourself for a few minutes.

rhumbagirl

My first gig after four months will be next Friday, in an 11 piece band with 4 horns. Absolutely looking forward to it. We’re learning ‘September’ especially for the occasion. It is a big wall of sound with party songs like Walking on Sunshine and Celebrate. Even Mustang Sally sounds fresh with the horn section.

But as CM Jones suggested earlier, its very different from playing in a three piece band (which I also do). In such a large band you are just one cog a big machine, so there’s no scope for errors or ad libbing - you must be reliable and solid, not much interaction. But the sound of the horns! Wow. Especially the growling bari sax at the bottom with screech trumpet at the top.
Congratulations Morrisman! Earth Wind & Fire has a lot of great hits to play. Good luck!!

moxman

Silver Member
Yes.. just think of yourself as the engine of the band.. sometimes you need to drive them. Play it clean and sharp with a lot of punch when you need it. Others may differ, but I like a medium-high pitched snare to cut through.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

for me, a set up like TOP would be great on day 1
then an "Oscar Peterson Trio" set up on day 2
then a good old 5 piece New Wave of British Heavy Metal band would be for day 3
then a 4 piece Minor Threat punk band on day 4
then a percussion ensemble a-la the Caixa Trio or Nexus on day 5
day 6 would be a WGI Indoor Drumline where I was playing tenors/quads
day 7 would be spent falling off of my mountain bike in the woods

I want all of the experiences, and value all of them to serve each other