My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Wow, just mindblowing. This is the closest I have ever come to being jealous of someone else's set. I must brag to the forum members that Zambizzi has invited me over to actually PLAY these drums! (I live about a half-hour away).

Let me take them home with me just for one night, please? I'll buy you a pizza or anything.

The difference between ply and stave/solid shell is like the difference between cardboard and ply (there were actually some decent cardboard drums made during WWII called Vultex). Since there is no glue or cross-lamination, the authentic character of the wood shines through and all of the prized qualities of drums are magnified - tone, attack, sustain, richness, beauty etc. You are playing real wood drums, not a wood composite material.

You have now been officially spoiled and I am confident in saying you will keep this set for the rest of your life, even though you have only had it one day.

Wow, just mindblowing. This is the closest I have ever come to being jealous of someone else's set. I must brag to the forum members that Zambizzi has invited me over to actually PLAY these drums! (I live about a half-hour away).

Let me take them home with me just for one night, please? I'll buy you a pizza or anything.

The difference between ply and stave/solid shell is like the difference between cardboard and ply (there were actually some decent cardboard drums made during WWII called Vultex). Since there is no glue or cross-lamination, the authentic character of the wood shines through and all of the prized qualities of drums are magnified - tone, attack, sustain, richness, beauty etc. You are playing real wood drums, not a wood composite material.

You have now been officially spoiled and I am confident in saying you will keep this set for the rest of your life, even though you have only had it one day.

GHEEZZZ am I jealous To have a two of the best looking and unique drums I have ever seen so close to each other !!!! Hmm I wonder if I convience my wife to take a vacation next year to Idaho.

It's a shame.. I just went to Canada this year before I even knew about Unix

OK DMC we expect a full comparison report detailing the difference between solid and stave ironwood vs bubinga ... :)

Sorry brotha, not even a pizza can come between me and these drums! I'm excited to have you come and check them out though - hopefully I'll have the snare by then.

I don't doubt that I'll have these until I'm too weak to hold sticks anymore...they put all the mass-market (or custom plywood) kits I've played so far to shame.

Sorry brotha, not even a pizza can come between me and these drums! I'm excited to have you come and check them out though - hopefully I'll have the snare by then.

Please take both kits outside, and make some kind of akward "twin" photoshoot. That would be great :). Recording both sets in the same enviroment would be nice while you're at it, then we can all hear the difference between the two sets, both solid stave but different wood and stuff.

Have fun meeting and playing ;-).

I can't get over how perfectly seamless the shells look! The level of craftsmanship here is on par with a grand piano. You described it like a superior sounding kit as well.

The best way to refer to the kit is...awesome!!!

Simply stunning. I have been made a believer in the stave concept a while back, but this is just remarkable. Congrats to you for owning the drums, congrats to Frank for another job well done, and congrats to the forum members for being able to share in this. I'm afraid all other kits have been humbled.

Thanks again guys!

Here's "crazy-ass setup idea: take 1" (as illustrated earlier). I bought a Pearl AX38 clamp tonight and as you can see, I'm pushing the DW9900 tom stand to its limits. It's pretty stable but on these soft carpets, one good bump would send it overboard.

Attachments

• dsc05507.jpg
    dsc05507.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,749
  • dsc05508.jpg
    dsc05508.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 2,722
  • dsc05509.jpg
    dsc05509.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,785
  • dsc05510.jpg
    dsc05510.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,879
why is your bass on womens barbells? do you not have legs?

They're on the way, should be here any day now. Whoever packed the drums just forgot to put them in the bass drum box.

I like the women's barbell look...maybe I'm setting a new trend?

Now those are some beauties...like many other posters, I am also left speechless. Just in the pictures, the detail to quality shines through, I can imagine what they look like in person.

Maybe I missed it in earlier disscussions, but could you breifly explain how the quick release lugs work.

An absolutely wonderful kit. Great wood, great sizes. Post sound clips if you can :)

Maybe I missed it in earlier disscussions, but could you breifly explain how the quick release lugs work.

Take a look at Ayotte's quick-release lugs, if you're not already familiar with them. I believe Frank was inspired by Ayotte for his lugs. The advantages I think these lugs have over theirs is; they're smaller. there's much less mass attached to the shell and only one hole drilled per-lug. They're minimalist and allow much more of the shell to be visible.

I don't know what type of metal they're made of but they're solid - I never did ask Frank on any details.

The idea is, you don't have to remove any tension rods or even loosen them very much to get them off to change heads. Give them a few cranks, lift, and they pull away from the lug.

Not only that, they just look cool. I've seen them on a couple of Frank's snares and they look way cool on there, too. My snare's gonna be purdy!

Take a look at Ayotte's quick-release lugs, if you're not already familiar with them. I believe Frank was inspired by Ayotte for his lugs. The advantages I think these lugs have over theirs is; they're smaller. there's much less mass attached to the shell and only one hole drilled per-lug. They're minimalist and allow much more of the shell to be visible.

I don't know what type of metal they're made of but they're solid - I never did ask Frank on any details.

The idea is, you don't have to remove any tension rods or even loosen them very much to get them off to change heads. Give them a few cranks, lift, and they pull away from the lug.

Not only that, they just look cool. I've seen them on a couple of Frank's snares and they look way cool on there, too. My snare's gonna be purdy!

They're certainly something else then those ugly DW lugs :), I like them very much.

Hummmmm.....

That tom stand looks like an robotic alien space monster.

You might have tried this, but I'd take the DW tom mount off the stand. Replace it with the Pearl double tom mount. You'd still be able to run the crash on that stand.

You'd need to find another way to run the splash. Maybe clamp it off the hi hat or pick up another stand for the crash and splash.

One of those pictures really shows off the color and grain of the wood. It looks fantastic.
Do you just sit there and stare at it sometimes? I know I would. :)

Man, that is really a spectacular kit.

All the best...

Back