my splash cymbal lost its appeal

no talent

I have not used a splash cymbal in 20 plus years. the only one i own is a 10 inch zildjian EFX. i used to use it to accent snare hits and things all the time. then i loaned it to my drumming brother in law and and after his passing, it sat in his cymbal bag in a storage locker. i recently got it back and brought it to a gig with my swing band. what a piece of ringy, annoying junk!!! what was i thinking all those years ago? it sounds bad to me now and i used to use it all the time. maybe it sounded bad then and i didnt notice? anyway, anyone ever go back to a cymbal and have the feeling of "what was i thinking"?

2underpar

Silver Member
Yes... I have a couple 18" Zildjian Avedis crash cymbals from the 60's. The one that is in perfect condition sounds the worst to me. I paid way to much for it and it just sits in the bag.

On the other hand, I have another 18" 60's Avedis that has heavy patina and a 1/4 inch key hole, and got dirt cheep. This thing sounds sweet. Maybe the best 18" crash I have ever heard.

I guess you win some and loose some.

K.Howden

I bought a Zildjian 19" Avedis rock crash back in 2007, as I had my main crash stolen at a show found it on ebay dirt cheap and I needed a quick replacement, so I was sold in an instant. I played it for the first time in years as a potential crash to use in the studio, seen as it was still sat in my cymbal bag and my God it sounds horrible; too heavy to crash and not clear enough to use a ride...just plain ol' ugly! Needless to say, we didn't use it for tracking.

I'm thinking of using it as an experiment piece to try out some hand hammering and re-lathing, can't make it sound any worse than it already is.

Last edited:

crispycritters

I have not used a splash cymbal in 20 plus years. the only one i own is a 10 inch zildjian EFX. i used to use it to accent snare hits and things all the time. then i loaned it to my drumming brother in law and and after his passing, it sat in his cymbal bag in a storage locker. i recently got it back and brought it to a gig with my swing band. what a piece of ringy, annoying junk!!! what was i thinking all those years ago? it sounds bad to me now and i used to use it all the time. maybe it sounded bad then and i didnt notice? anyway, anyone ever go back to a cymbal and have the feeling of "what was i thinking"?
Maybe your other cymbals have been changed over the last 20 years to the point that you now have exactly what you need for your musical style and preferences.

I had a similar experience recently - I mounted a ZXT splash that I used to love, my reaction was exactly the same - I almost burst out laughing at how nasty it sounds, and can't figure out why I used to like it. But when I bought it I was playing ZBTs!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I wouldn't really call the EFX a splash -- it was always supposed to be more of a cutting bell sound than a splash. With the current emphasis on thinner, trashier sounds rather than thick, bright sounds, who could blame you?

@K.Howden -- rock crashes. Couldn't agree with you more. What were we thinking?!

tomtom

Also, our tastes change end evolves. When I started out playing a million years ago I loved bright and cutting but that has changed.