My snare likes cheap heads and snare wires

John Q. Drummer

Their toothpastes, lawnmowers, and snow shovels are also excellent.
I laughed way too hard at this.

I can't do cheap heads, not on snares anyway. Those Remo UT heads feel weird to me, and the snare side heads seemingly stretch out faster than regular Remo snare side heads. I'm not entirely positive that they use the same mylar material.

Puresound wires are not my cup of tea. I was all about them years ago, but now I prefer brighter sounding wires. The elevated price does not equal elevated performance IMO.

C.M. Jones

I laughed way too hard at this.

I can't do cheap heads, not on snares anyway. Those Remo UT heads feel weird to me, and the snare side heads seemingly stretch out faster than regular Remo snare side heads. I'm not entirely positive that they use the same mylar material.

Puresound wires are not my cup of tea. I was all about them years ago, but now I prefer brighter sounding wires. The elevated price does not equal elevated performance IMO.
Rest assured that I remove stock heads immediately. My commitment to Pearl is limited to drums and hardware. I guess I consider snare wires a type of hardware. Pearl's wires have always suited me just fine.

"The elevated price does not equal elevated performance."

I'm glad to find someone with the courage to make that claim. It applies to drums and cymbals as well. Using price tags as a measure of drum and cymbal quality is like using calories as a measure of food quality. The numbers can be wildly misleading.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Pearl's Ultra Sound wires are really, really nice and very well made and engineered. Having the option to get wire sets that have uneven tension seems gimmicky I'll admit, but I thought the D-type (tighter in the middle) really improved sensitivity and response.

If I wasn't so into 12 or 14-strand wires right now I'd probably use the Pearl Ultra Sound wires on all of my snare drums.

motleyh

The shape of the snare beds is a huge factor in this, so you'll find that certain brands or types of drums are more sensitive with certain brands or types of wires. But questions of sensitivity and brightness are highly subjective -- it all depends on what sound you want to produce.

And as always, bear in mind that when you're sitting over the drum you may not be hearing the bottom head as well as the audience or microphones are -- depends on positionings, room, floor covering, etc.