My snare likes cheap heads and snare wires

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I bought a Legend phosphor bronze snare drum, and it sounded great. I thought I could make it sound even better replacing the no-name snare wires with some PureSound wires and an Evans 360 300 snare-side head. Nope. It took away a lot of the sensitivity and just didn’t sound the same, even at the same tension. I replaced the old, dented cheap Mapex head and snare wires, and the magic was back.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I wish my DW brass was like that. It sounds much better with Evans G2’s and Canopus snare wires. The stock heads sounded a little anemic.

Last edited:

TJK

My Black Beauties sound best with the stock Ludwig wires, which are akin to the Gibraltar $10-12 models. 😮
Hm, I have never had a Ludwig snare sound good until I put strings on it. Makes all the difference

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I bought a Legend phosphor bronze snare drum, and it sounded great. I thought I could make it sound even better replacing the no-name snare wires with some PureSound wires and an Evans 360 300 snare-side head. Nope. It took away a lot of the sensitivity and just didn’t sound the same, even at the same tension. I replaced the old, dented cheap Mapex head and snare wires, and the magic was back.
That's interesting. My cheap Tama steel snare drum likes expensive heads and expensive snare wires.......

Iristone

Very possible. Maybe it's a Remo UT crimped vs. Remo USA glued edge thing. Or your drum actually comes with very hi-end heads, just with a more obscure brand (Ludwig being a prime example).
Wire wise - I'm a big fan of the no-name/"snappy"/Dixon/Gibraltar wires. I use the 20-strand on my Ludwig and 42 on my Gretsch. Puresounds tend to be drier, and are more of a sideways move rather than an upgrade.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I’m wondering if the cheap drum head Is thinner than the Evans? And if the snare wires are thinner or lighter as well?
You can always try an Evans Hazy 200.

A few years ago, after a week of work in Los Angeles, I visited Pro Drum Shop and the owner (son of the original owner) showed me how the Puresound wires malfunction under tension and don’t produce a quality buzz. My experience was the same: poor sensitivity, not cheap. I use what comes with the snare, or a Fat Cat adjustable.

Griffin

I’m wondering if the cheap drum head Is thinner than the Evans? And if the snare wires are thinner or lighter as well? Who knows...
the head that came with my Yamaha stage custom definitely felt thinner than the Evans 300 I replaced it with today. So that could be what you’re liking. Maybe go an Evans 200 next time Like @cbphoto suggested?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Puresound has such an odd reputation. Everyone tends to think they're high-end and one of the best snare wires out there, and yet I don't hear much from people that are actually satisfied by them after trying a set. Most experiences I read about are ones of disappointment.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Puresound has such an odd reputation. Everyone tends to think they're high-end and one of the best snare wires out there, and yet I don't hear much from people that are actually satisfied by them after trying a set. Most experiences I read about are ones of disappointment.
I think it’s cuz the money spent distorts the buyers reality. One wants it to sound good cuz it’s three times the price of other brands.
This is very common in many realms: photography, recording, video, etc.

Al Strange

I like ‘em! Might be just lucky, but I’ve not had any bad experiences? (y) :)

AZDRUMZ

I put some old pearl pinstripe batters on my Saturns and they just sound amazing, is it something about Chinese heads that make drums sound better

NouveauCliche

Disappointed or neutral: I bought into the hype and didn't find much difference.

A friend of brought me a set of the Canopus vintage wires for my recent recording weekend and that actually sounded way different - though I suppose strand count was the key factor as they had like 10 less strands than my stock Gretsch wires.

I use different wires on different drums, since I don't believe in the "one fits all" theory.

I tried to put really expensive wires on my Slingy Sound King what ended up sounding really poor, while a Fat Cat dual adjustable 24 Strand that costed less than a half got the job done pretty well. Yet the Fat Cat sounded bad on another wooden drum where I went with a set of Puresound concert wires instead. Great! The expensive Masshof wires are a real gain on my LM402 though.

Ok, these are all rather expensive, but I've used cheapos as well which souded fantastic on certain snare drums.
So, it's probably not always the brand, it might as well be the combination.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I've tried Puresound on half a dozen drums and have yet to be pleased with them. I agree with Bermuda when it comes to wires. Not just in this post but if I remember, he once said the cheapest wires tend to work best for him. Or maybe I dreamed he said that. Not that I dream a lot about Bermuda.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I like ‘em! Might be just lucky, but I’ve not had any bad experiences? (y) :)
I'd had a good experience in the past with their 221 model (which I don't think they make anymore) but more recently I've had two different sets that broke snare heads because the soldering was rough. Now I'm just too satisfied with the sound (and cost) of Gibraltar's wires to need anything else.

C.M. Jones

I just use the Pearl wires that come with my snares. When needed, I replace them with the same Pearl wires. Does it come as the slightest surprise that I use Pearl products whenever I can? Their toothpastes, lawnmowers, and snow shovels are also excellent.

Last edited:

Icetech

Gold Member
To be honest with you.. i have tried 3 sets of puresounds on 3 snares and they all ended up in a drawer and the original "cheap" wires went back on... they just don't sound that good to me.. but it's all subjective.

P.S. i had to replace my 50 year old rogers wires (finger int he wrong place.. at the wrong time... dr john wouldn't approve) and the new Rogers wires are actually pretty good.. no complaints there :)