My Slingerland snare tension strainer knob fell off, I need a particular screw to reattach. Help?

TxGroove

Ok, a few years ago my slingerland tension knob on my throwoff (Not the actual throw off handle but the tiny knob attached to the side of the throw off) came off when I was using it. I recently noticed a tiny screw hole on the side of the knob, which I am assuming locks in and grips the shoulder of the strainer rod that will hold it in place. I am know looking for a screw in this particular size, I measured the spacing of the hole on the knob at about 5th of a inch. Any idea what kind of screw will fit and what type of screw head? Aprox. width of hole 1/8 length of screw 3/8

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm guessing a set screw was in there. Take the knob to your local Ace hardware or similar and look for a matching screw. Try the hex head allen wrench type

mrfingers

1959slingerland3-hollywood ace b:w.jpg
I have an old Slingerland throw off and there are no screws, only rivets. What model snare drum is it?

TxGroove

I'm guessing a set screw was in there. Take the knob to your local Ace hardware or similar and look for a matching screw. Try the hex head allen wrench type
the diameter of the threads are 1/8 and the radius is 1/4... Do they make hex bolts in this lengh? If you can find one online (specifically on eBay) that would be great. I'm a du mmy when it comes to screws.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Those dimensions don't help me. Take the knob to the nearest home center, hardware and have someone help you. Buy a few. They are cheap.

TxGroove

View attachment 84979
I have an old Slingerland throw off and there are no screws, only rivets. What model snare drum is it?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slingerland-Snare-Drum-COB-5-x14-1970s-Vintage/133013261174?hash=item1ef8354b76:g:sf8AAOSw3Jxcpn3d

This isn't my snare only an example but it's the same model with the zoomatic throw-off but the knob I have is totally different than the one in the photos. Mine is cylinder in shape and longer, not flat. I think the model is a Gene Kupra radio king steel/metal snare drum but i'm not sure. Every look-alike model I have seen have had the same strainer knob as the on in this particular auction, not one has had my strainer since I've been searching on eBay recently... maybe its a older model, idk?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
the diameter of the threads are 1/8 and the radius is 1/4... Do they make hex bolts in this lengh? If you can find one online (specifically on eBay) that would be great. I'm a du mmy when it comes to screws.
Diameter can't be half of the radius. It's the other way around.

Do like Grunt said. They have thread pitch sizers at the box stores. They can help you out.

I have the same issue with a Rogers snare. I can order it though.

calan

Silver Member
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slingerland-Snare-Drum-COB-5-x14-1970s-Vintage/133013261174?hash=item1ef8354b76:g:sf8AAOSw3Jxcpn3d

This isn't my snare only an example but it's the same model with the zoomatic throw-off but the knob I have is totally different than the one in the photos. Mine is cylinder in shape and longer, not flat. I think the model is a Gene Kupra radio king steel/metal snare drum but i'm not sure. Every look-alike model I have seen have had the same strainer knob as the on in this particular auction, not one has had my strainer since I've been searching on eBay recently... maybe its a older model, idk?
You likely have a Zoomatic that's been cowboy'd up by a past owner. I say that as somebody who has 4 Zoomatic bodies of different vintages sitting within arm's reach that I've used to make my own in the seemingly wasteful and futile pursuit to assemble a fully functional unit.

The tension screw on your Zoomatic will have a different thread pitch and/or count depending on its vintage. The thread pitch itself only matters in as much as it threads into the receiver on the shell. In theory, you could replace both.

The gist of the assembly is that there is a flange on the tension screw that is inside of the body of the strainer, and then the knob is pressed on after the fact. That interior flange is important; it keeps the body pressed against the knob on the exterior as you adjust the snare tension. Without it, the strainer has very limited function.

Many Zoomatic owners would over tension the wires, which tended to cause the threaded rod to bend. This results in a wonky action when you tighten the wires; they tighten a bunch and then loosen up, then tighten up slightly more then loosen again, etc.

The only real way to fix this is to replace the threaded rod, usually with one from another body that is actually in good in shape, but there's a variety of ways to replace the rod and simulate the flange. The way to remove it is either cut the interior flange off, or pry off the knob. Both present difficulties for reassembling. If you care about keeping things appearing as original as possible, you want to keep the original knob. If you pry it off, good luck getting it back on. That sucker was likely machine pressed on, and short of having your own or access to one, you likely aren't going to get that same result. Even so, you need to have everything aligned correctly so that you don't bend the rod and cause the same issue you were just trying to fix.

Somebody probably just found a knob with a set screw that worked for yours.