My rock trio "Trikata" throwing down on local cable access

zambizzi

Platinum Member
This was WAY too much fun. Sheila is a local legend and she has a lot of local artists on her show. GREAT lady...so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Tbob4tS1M

My snare wires were off at first, so I barfed all over the song until I could get them flipped on. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for it. Luckly, they weren't ready for the sheer volume we hit them with, and it clipped the sound during the snafu. Phew! Nice save! :)

If you didn't mention the snares off issue I wouldn't have noticed because I was distracted by the clipping at the start. I see what you mean by "nice save".

Only criticism is I would have liked you to look as lively as the front line guys and also to add a bit more oomph in your fills to add a bit of dynamics. Otherwise good, solid drumming with spot on tempo and nice chops, Vince. You look relaxed and doing it easy, but maybe a bit too easy ....

If you didn't mention the snares off issue I wouldn't have noticed because I was distracted by the clipping at the start. I see what you mean by "nice save".

Only criticism is I would have liked you to look as lively as the front line guys and also to add a bit more oomph in your fills to add a bit of dynamics. Otherwise good, solid drumming with spot on tempo and nice chops, Vince. You look relaxed and doing it easy, but maybe a bit too easy ....

Thanks a lot, Pol! I agree, I seriously need to work on stage presence. I spent far too long focusing deeply on relaxation. I've got that down now...but you're right - a little too much! Any pointers? I don't have a natural "drummer face" so I'd have to deliberately do something to look more interesting.

Rocking stuff VIn! great tempo. Agree with Pol, in a trio youre allowed to heat things up some more : )

Liked it!

Thanks a lot, Pol! I agree, I seriously need to work on stage presence. I spent far too long focusing deeply on relaxation. I've got that down now...but you're right - a little too much! Any pointers? I don't have a natural "drummer face" so I'd have to deliberately do something to look more interesting.

Some inspiration, Vince. (Henri will already know which link I'm posting :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vb_jsqv1iU

Last edited:
...I seriously need to work on stage presence. I spent far too long focusing deeply on relaxation. I've got that down now...but you're right - a little too much! Any pointers? I don't have a natural "drummer face" so I'd have to deliberately do something to look more interesting.

Hi Vince, I liked the song a lot, and I believe that your groove and fills fits the tune very nicely, and then there's that nice fill at 2:38, rocking man, but ... yes there's a but, you're right you need to create a bit of an image of yourself when playing live, especially in this type of music, I genuinely believe that if you had that stage presence you mentioned, it would be felt differently all of a sudden, and that without changing the playing, it's how the audience, and in this case the viewer, is percieving your body language, a tadd lifeless, it's rock'n'roll man, let some fire get in your body, I'm actually the opposite, I had to tame myself down a bit upon watching myself, too much is no good either, haha :))

Yep, that the one, the world champion of "drumming faces", lol :))

Great playing. I agree on the 3 piece band thing, play strong, you're all equal. I work much harder in a 3 piece and it's fun!!
Strut your stuff.

Hey Vince,

Nice stuff man. Solid drumming. I did think that, since it is a 3 piece, that you could have taken a little more latitude...here and there, but it didn't detract at all that you didn't. I just felt there was more than a few places where more drums would have sounded OK.

As far as stage presence, a smile, and letting the audience see the whites of your eyes...goes a long way. Audiences don't like to see closed eyelids and musicians staring at their instruments and not acknowledging anyone.

Opening chords reminded me of Black Sabbath.

Ever think of using a shuffle hi hat pattern on that tune? It would fit well.

Rocking stuff VIn! great tempo. Agree with Pol, in a trio youre allowed to heat things up some more : )

Liked it!

Thanks, Abe!

Crazy stuff, that! Thanks for sharing...best drummerface I've seen in a long time.

Hi Vince, I liked the song a lot, and I believe that your groove and fills fits the tune very nicely, and then there's that nice fill at 2:38, rocking man, but ... yes there's a but, you're right you need to create a bit of an image of yourself when playing live, especially in this type of music, I genuinely believe that if you had that stage presence you mentioned, it would be felt differently all of a sudden, and that without changing the playing, it's how the audience, and in this case the viewer, is percieving your body language, a tadd lifeless, it's rock'n'roll man, let some fire get in your body, I'm actually the opposite, I had to tame myself down a bit upon watching myself, too much is no good either, haha :))

Yep, that the one, the world champion of "drumming faces", lol :))

Thanks ,MAD...I hear ya!

Hey Vince,

Nice stuff man. Solid drumming. I did think that, since it is a 3 piece, that you could have taken a little more latitude...here and there, but it didn't detract at all that you didn't. I just felt there was more than a few places where more drums would have sounded OK.

As far as stage presence, a smile, and letting the audience see the whites of your eyes...goes a long way. Audiences don't like to see closed eyelids and musicians staring at their instruments and not acknowledging anyone.

Opening chords reminded me of Black Sabbath.

Ever think of using a shuffle hi hat pattern on that tune? It would fit well.

Thanks, Larry! Appreciate the feedback, as always.

I'm glad everyone's diggin' the song, it's one of my favorite of ours. We got our foot in the door with Rockstar energy drink. We're going to create a mixed drink called, "Simple Minded", for a regular multi-band gig that we host at a popular downtown bar.

Anyhow, sounds like the common theme is; "Do a little more and quit looking like a dead fish up there!" Haha. I definitely need to step up the stage presence, but I promise I'm not THAT boring on regular gigs...either are Dave and Shane (guitar and bass, respectively.) The drumming is intentionally sparse and simple on this one, to match the theme and feel of the song. I just wanted it to swing and have a lot of space...feel good head-bopper. I think a shuffle would fit alright but probably just be too busy, for this particular tune.

Here's a couple more from recent shows. I'd really appreciate any feedback on any part of it. It'll provide some contrast to the video in the first post, which is probably misleading as it's our most "simple" tune in the lineup.

The camera mic is terrible and leaves out at least half of the frequencies, as well as a lot of articulation you'd hear from the band...but it's a good reference, anyhow.

"Blue Lucy" - I take a little mini-solo in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8-nn6kVvI

"Pay the Price"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Nb4Wt5BE

Thanks all!

You guys are really making a name for yourself on the local music scene! Good work.

Thanks...we've been hitting it hard since last summer. We've got some great stuff lined up this year, so we'll hopefully be able to build the fan-base a little bit. Not easy in a city this size!

Here's a couple more from recent shows. I'd really appreciate any feedback on any part of it. It'll provide some contrast to the video in the first post, which is probably misleading as it's our most "simple" tune in the lineup.

The camera mic is terrible and leaves out at least half of the frequencies, as well as a lot of articulation you'd hear from the band...but it's a good reference, anyhow.

"Blue Lucy" - I take a little mini-solo in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8-nn6kVvI

"Pay the Price"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Nb4Wt5BE

Thanks all!

Here's another burner where I don't looks so spacey. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJooT1ZUBkk - "Ego Trip"

I went to the top of the page, to the right, and listened to the song from the farmers maze. Much better recording and a good job.

Hey Vince, I missed this thread completely!

Great work! I love power trio stuff. Such an opportunity to power up & boogie :)

I love your bass drum presence in the live clips. Ok, usual crappy camera mic issues, buy that aside, I'm really catching the vibe. Loving the bass player/singer's hat. He should make a regular feature of that. Reminds me of Noddy Holder from Slade in the late 70's :)

Although your posture is good, I'm not sure it's the right visual for a power trio show. I suffer from the same "serious muso" aesthetic. I think you need to get a bit more animated.

All up, I'm liking this a lot!

I went to the top of the page, to the right, and listened to the song from the farmers maze. Much better recording and a good job.

Thanks, G-Diddy...that's a pretty good take. It was cold as hell out that night!

Hey Vince, I missed this thread completely!

Great work! I love power trio stuff. Such an opportunity to power up & boogie :)

I love your bass drum presence in the live clips. Ok, usual crappy camera mic issues, buy that aside, I'm really catching the vibe. Loving the bass player/singer's hat. He should make a regular feature of that. Reminds me of Noddy Holder from Slade in the late 70's :)

Although your posture is good, I'm not sure it's the right visual for a power trio show. I suffer from the same "serious muso" aesthetic. I think you need to get a bit more animated.

All up, I'm liking this a lot!

Thank ya! This is the kind of rock band I've always wanted to be in, so I'm having a great time. It's really hard-hitting stuff though, and it takes a lot out of me physically. I've never played in a louder band!

In thinking about this, since my OP; the physical work involved is the reason that I look so stoic up there. Ironically, I'm working pretty hard to stay relaxed and not fall into old habits, like slouching, holding my breath, gripping too hard, tensing up, etc. When I do let go and just go wild...like I do at practice sometimes...I find it hard to stay relaxed and the old physical problems come back very quickly.

I guess I need to try to find a way to "act" excited without actually getting excited, and losing complete control of the sticks and my hands. I'm never nervous in a bad way, at a show...always a *good* excitement...but my body doesn't seem to know the difference.

Thanks for checking it out, fellas!

haha nice. I opened the link in a diff tab while I read the thread, so I was just hearing it, and thinking "man, this has a nice clutch-ish vibe to it", then I switch over and immediately see you in a Clutch shirt :)

haha nice. I opened the link in a diff tab while I read the thread, so I was just hearing it, and thinking "man, this has a nice clutch-ish vibe to it", then I switch over and immediately see you in a Clutch shirt :)

Hah! I just ordered a couple new Clutch shirts and coincidentally, wore them to both shows I posted up here. Nice catch! Most people don't make the Clutch connection because most people I meet aren't even familiar w/ them. The band is heavily influenced by Sabbath, Zeppelin, Clutch, Kyuss, etc.

My very first thought was "bad ass!" my next thought was "clutch-esq"... Then I saw your shirt.

Loved it. Clutch has been my favorite band for something like 10 years.

Back