My Practice/Micro-gig Kit

boomstick

Silver Member
Now that I've completed some upgrades and additions, I figured my practice/micro-gig kit deserved its own thread. It's very nice to have a cheap kit to practice on and take to rehearsals and gigs. It's also compact, which makes it very portable and solves a space issue at home and on small stages.

The kit is built around some Pearl Rhythm Traveler drums I found on craigslist. With good heads and tuning, the snare and kick sound pretty good. I also upgraded the spurs on the kick. I didn't care for the RT's single-headed toms, so I sold them and picked up an orphan PDP Z5 floor tom off ebay. Visually and sonically, it fits right in with the RT drums, and it's a big improvement over the stock tom. As for hardware, I use just a few pieces that are relatively lightweight yet stable, plus a lightweight Tama throne. Cymbal duties are covered by a Sabian Omni and Zildjian New Beats.

For practice, I swap in a set of Meinl HCS cymbals, and I typically use cymbal mutes and mesh drum heads to keep things quiet.

The Specs:

Pearl Rhythm Traveler Kick 20x8
Pearl Rhythm Traveler Snare 13x5
PDP Z5 Floor Tom 14x12
Sabian Omni Crash-Ride 18
Zildjian New Beat Hats 14
Taye Metalworks Single Pedal
Gibraltar Hi-Hat Stand
Tama Snare Stand
Tama Standard Throne

Attachments

Last edited:

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Nice setup - the drums match really well.

I do lots of gigs with a small kit like this, I like the way you've got rid of the cymbal stands. Nice work.

boomstick

Silver Member
I enjoy playing this kit so much that I will likely gig with it more often than I originally planned, so I decided to maximize its potential. The kit is getting a full refurbish. Shells have been stripped and sanded. The two Pearl shells were very rough and required a ton of sanding. The PDP shell was in much better shape, but still needed work. Next step is to apply some sealer to the interior, then I will re-wrap the exterior.

Attachments

Last edited:

boomstick

Silver Member
Also, as much as I like my Tama Roadpro snare stand, it's total overkill for this kit and especially this snare drum. I found a good deal on a Yamaha 740 snare stand and placed an order. More appropriate for this kit, I think.

Attachments

Last edited:

boomstick

Silver Member
Thanks NT! Hopefully, it will be much improved after the refurbish, and the new wrap should look better than the old one.

boomstick

Silver Member
So I figured I might as well get another Z5 to match the floor tom and make a full 4-piece kit. In keeping with the small kit theme, I was holding out for a 10" tom, but I haven't seen any go up for sale. Seems like everybody is trying to sell off the 12" toms as there are lots of them for sale right now. I found one with mount included and it was kind of a no-brainer for the price ($40). This drum will get same refurbish as the rest.

Attachments

Last edited:

boomstick

Silver Member
Thanks Bo. It's a learning process, for sure, but I'm on this mission where I am trying to get all of my gear exactly as I want it. After drilling holes in a couple of my higher-end drums (to add floor tom legs and a kick riser) working with the cheap drums is a lot less nerve-wracking!

My new wrap came in and some new drum heads as well. Can't wait to get these finished and play them. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

JohnW

Silver Member
That is so cool, boomstick! I've been more sold on compact equipment lately. How many cases do you need to carry that around?

boomstick

Silver Member
Thanks John. I haven't quite figured out the case/bag situation just yet. Still working on getting these drums put together into one complete and finished kit. Hopefully that will be done within a week or so. Then I can figure out my bagging strategy.

boomstick

Silver Member
..and this is the result. The 12" tom is not quite finished yet, but I wanted to post the kit as is since this is how I will typically use it. I'm very happy with the end result visually. Even better, the kit sounds really great. It actually exceeds my expectations, making all of the hard work worthwhile. I would like to post a recording, but I want to wait until I get a proper kick mic. Lastly, I have to give a big shout-out to the compactdrums.com website which I relied upon heavily for information to complete this project.

Attachments

Last edited:

boomstick

Silver Member
Thanks Grunt & Bob. Yeah, Bob I probably saw all of your Rhythm Traveler posts when I was researching them. That RT thread you started was helpful in my decision to get these drums. It seemed like they worked well for you, and I listened to a sound file of yours as well.