My Playing

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
I added a couple of new songs to my myspace. I am making some good improvements in this post-bop style I am studying; but I am no Bill Stewart or Stan Taylor yet.

www.myspace.com/newdeltarising

zepplin92

thanks for sharing i enjoyed that, what kind of kit and cymbals are you using especially the ride.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Thanks for puuting them up Ken.

In "Speak No Evil" I can hear how things are coming along from your studies. Your phrasing and comping has more of the Elvin, Roy influence going on and you're taking chances to try a few things out within the music. Good stuff!

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Thanks Stan,

It's a studio kit. heads are long overdue for a change. But it's a DW. The bass drum is 20x24, so it gets the better of my once in a while. Does a mean Bonham though. The cymbals are Sabians, B8's and AAX. They've upgraded me. The ride is an old cymbal. I really don't like it for what I am doing, but it really cuts through.

Thanks for listening and for you kind remarks.

Last edited:

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
BTW Stan, I have been using some of the more Tony-esque stuff in my playing. I love it but it is a bit hard to get the kind of cleanliness I want from it at this point. I notice you use a lot of Tony, no surprise there, any suggestions?

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Awww man, I LOVEE Sugar, that melody is genius. That ride is very pingy for this type of jazz. I'd like the more washy, dark sound.

Steamer

Platinum Member
BTW Stan, I have been using some of the more Tony-esque stuff in my playing. I love it but it is a bit hard to get the kind of cleanliness I want from it at this point. I notice you use a lot of Tony, no surprise there, any suggestions?

Listen to lots of Tony....... :}

Seriously Ken a good starting point is put the hh foot on all 4's in a med. to up swing feel and learn to phrase and mix up any limb dialoque of syncopation combinations you can throw around without disrupting the eveness, flow and tempo of the hh foot which is giving you time function. This includes creating different ride patterns too over the hh time function well you mix it up between the other limbs.

Just a small general sample of where to start deciphering Tony and have fun.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Listen to lots of Tony....... :}

You really think I should? :)

I see where you're going with the ideas. I wll work on that today, thanks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the rehearsel tracks. I think I will start bring more of my own cymbals to the sessions.

Last edited:

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Stan, you the man.

You would not believe, or maybe you would, how much that exercise helped just after ten minutes.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Stan, you the man.

You would not believe, or maybe you would, how much that exercise helped just after ten minutes.

Funny the stuff one can pass along to others from studying, performing and teaching jazz drumming over some 33 years Ken.....

Glad to help and now the next level of "fun" begins... enjoy :}

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Funny the stuff one can pass along to others from studying, performing and teaching jazz drumming over some 33 years Ken.....

Glad to help and now the next level of "fun" begins... enjoy :}

I have to say that I am mighty impressed with your abilty to diagnose the problem and perscribe the remedy. :)

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
I just found out that my band is going to have our first gig, which is exciting because it's been a few years since I played out. The last band I was in went nowhere. I think those guys are stll together and going nowhere. And the band before that played out only about once a month or every six weeks.

This will also be the first time I've done a hard-bop/fusion gig like this. We are opening up for a more well-known act, whose name I have not found out yet. We're getting paid in gas money, beer and pizza. Too bad I'm on my low carb diet:)