My Photographs Of Drummers

Mapex589

Silver Member
Hello, my name is Todd and have been a drummer for over 30 years now. I am not a professional drummer but I am a professional photographer that has the privilege of photographing concerts. Since I am a drummer and love the instrument I always concentrate on trying to get shots of the drummer. Often times a challenge because of the cymbal stands and mics, etc. I wanted to share some of my photos on this forum. I hope you enjoy them.

Attachments

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Really nice collection!

Interesting to see all the different setup. Some look very nice to me, some downright ugly...
Some of the seem quite ergonomic, others let me think what the hell that drummer was
thinking (or not thinking). Look wins playability loses I guess...

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
GREAT pics, although I must confess to not knowing every drummer pictured (is that guy in the cat makeup Joey Jordison's father??)

I hear ya about drummers usually being the least visible for good photos, which is why there are precious few good shots of me onstage. There are only a handful of seats at our shows where an audience member with a camera might get a clear shot of me between cymbals & stands, although the ocasional balcony shots are nice. :)

Bermuda

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ver nice work! Although like Bermuda, I don't know who a lot of those guys are except the real obvious ones. Any way you can put in captions? I'd like to put a sound to the face ;)

bermuda

Staff member
Love those clear shots of Dennis Chambers' Yamaha kit with the Ludwig Black Beauty! :)

Mapex589

Silver Member
Thank you! Here is the list of drummers in order:
Alex Van Halen -Van Halen
Jean Paul Gaster - Clutch
Wuv - POD
Chad Smith - RHCP
Kenny Aronoff - Chickenfoot
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue
Neil Peart - Rush
Neil Peart - Rush
Shawn Drover - Megadeth
Shawn Drover - Megadeth
Carter Beauford - Dave Matthews Band
Carter Beauford - DMB
Shannon Larkin - Godsmack
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue
Jimmy Bower - Down
Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters
Eric Singer - KISS
Frank Beard - ZZ Top
Frank Beard - ZZ Top
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden
Matt Cameron - Soundgarden
Phil Taylor - Motorhead
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Neil Peart - RUSH
Tommy Lee - Motley Crue
Brian Nevin - Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Tico Torres - Bon Jovi
Michael Thomas - Bullet For My Valentine
Jean Paul Gaster - Clutch
Jimmy Bower - DOWN
Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters
Chris Frazier - Foreigner
Jason Bittner - Shadows Fall
Eric Singer - Kiss
Ray Luzier - Korn
Dominic Howard - Muse
Neil Peart - RUSH

I hope I got them all in order.

bermuda

Staff member
Eek, that's Carter not Dennis on the Yamaha/Ludwigs?? Oops, better wear my glasses next time!

Bermuda

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Wow, solid photos! Like others, I definitely didn't recognize everyone there, but it was certainly interesting to see the different configurations/finishes/etc. of the kits. Thanks for sharing!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
GREAT pics, although I must confess to not knowing every drummer pictured (is that guy in the cat makeup Joey Jordison's father??)

I hear ya about drummers usually being the least visible for good photos, which is why there are precious few good shots of me onstage. There are only a handful of seats at our shows where an audience member with a camera might get a clear shot of me between cymbals & stands, although the ocasional balcony shots are nice. :)

Bermuda
I saw you in upstate New York in 85 when you opened for the Monkees. I had a wonderful view of you, as the stage rotated. Too bad I was 9 and didn't have a camera...

Vegas Island

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I'll be using a few of those as desktop backgrounds! I'm a big Tommy Lee and Alex Van Halen fan.

Zickos

Gold Member
I need to get you to come photograph me while playing. I could feed you left over spaghetti and put you up overnight on the couch. There might even be a glass of wine in it for you.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Now I understand why there are so few shots of me playing drums. It's the hardware that gets in the way.

Although in my case "the hardware" refers to the kind of hardware that you can buy at a hardware store - lawnmower, ladder and so on.