My Pearl Masters BCX

Thanks! For this kit they're just the perfect heads. Had other kits in the past and steered away from them (clear Ambassadors or clear Emperors were my choices), but on this kit the Pinstripes just seem to bring out that lovely birch sound!
Never tire of pics this kit ! I’m gonna replace the stock evans heads on my tama bb kit eventually with finish that reminds me of yours by the way ( molten brown burst). Am wondering if the pinstripes will give me that fat low thud on the birch/bubinga without so much overtone. I like the current heads
( slight overtone and ring ?) but looking to lessen it without moon gels or other muffling and to maybe just try something different.

Reactions: iCe
Never tire of pics this kit ! I’m gonna replace the stock evans heads on my tama bb kit eventually with finish that reminds me of yours by the way ( molten brown burst). Am wondering if the pinstripes will give me that fat low thud on the birch/bubinga without so much overtone. I like the current heads
( slight overtone and ring ?) but looking to lessen it without moon gels or other muffling and to maybe just try something different.

It took me many, many years to realize that the heads i think are the best, are not necessarily the best sounding heads for a drumset. Around 2011/2012 i discovered Todd Suchermann and was a huge inspiration to me; loved the sound of his kit and he uses clear Ambassadors top and bottom. My BCX kit came originally with that combo too and and first i loved it, but after a few weeks i found my set sounding a bit 'thin' (for lack of better words). Changed the heads to coated G2's since i wanted that Gavin Harisson sound, but again it didn't produce the sound i wanted. Switched to clear Emperors and that came very close! Eventually switched to clear G1's bottom and clear G2's top, but again after a few weeks i thought 'this isn't it either...'.

Still wanting that low thud with a decent amount of ring, i remembered how i loved Mike Portnoy's kit in the Liquid Drum Theater DVD which had a lot of Pinstripes on them. So got those (put clear Ambassadors on the bottom) and also replaced my bass drum heads to clear Pinstripes and bam... there was the sound i was looking for :D

It took me many, many years to realize that the heads i think are the best, are not necessarily the best sounding heads for a drumset. Around 2011/2012 i discovered Todd Suchermann and was a huge inspiration to me; loved the sound of his kit and he uses clear Ambassadors top and bottom. My BCX kit came originally with that combo too and and first i loved it, but after a few weeks i found my set sounding a bit 'thin' (for lack of better words). Changed the heads to coated G2's since i wanted that Gavin Harisson sound, but again it didn't produce the sound i wanted. Switched to clear Emperors and that came very close! Eventually switched to clear G1's bottom and clear G2's top, but again after a few weeks i thought 'this isn't it either...'.

Still wanting that low thud with a decent amount of ring, i remembered how i loved Mike Portnoy's kit in the Liquid Drum Theater DVD which had a lot of Pinstripes on them. So got those (put clear Ambassadors on the bottom) and also replaced my bass drum heads to clear Pinstripes and bam... there was the sound i was looking for :D
Exactly how I feel with the G1/G2. I like them fine but it’s not …… “IT” for me . I remember long before I took a 15 or so year break from the kit I had pinstripes and that was back when I didn’t fully understand tuning ( probably still don’t lol) and they still sounded great with that , for lack of a better term….. eq’d sound. They were on my pearl wood-fiberglass kit. But then like you I went to a few different heads after those needed replacing . Closest ( at that time) to the sound I was after were the evans hydraulic blue heads, but they sounded dead after a while ( cardboardish), so I went back to the pinstripes. Those heads were still on and still sounded decent when I set the kit back up 3 years ago before I picked up the tama bb 18 months ago . What you think about leaving the reso evans g’s on and replacing just the batters since they are in great shape . I could start of that way and switch if need be I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

What you think about leaving the reso evans g’s on and replacing just the batters since they are in great shape .

Overal i feel Evans heads have a more 'plastic' sound compared to Remo, but that's a whole different topic hehe. I did think about leaving the G1's on, but eventually decided to switch everything to Remo because that's just the brand for me. You could leave them on and just swap the batter heads, that would make a difference in sound anyway. If you still feel like it's not completly the sound you want, i'd change them to Ambassadors. Even thought of changing mine to clear Diplomats for more ring, but happy with the sound now :)

Last edited:
I like how the black rack sort of disappears, especially where blending with the shell finish. Very nice.

I like how the black rack sort of disappears, especially where blending with the shell finish. Very nice.

Nice timing as well, since i'm seriously debating with myself i should get a Gibraltar rack haha. I also like that the black rack puts the shells in the spotlight, but finding the limitations of the DR-80 rack more and more annoying. Only thing holding me back is the price tag of a new rack with all the clamps; darn my big setup hehe

EDIT: man.... just did a rough calculation and a whole new rack would set me back around €1100,- o_O

Yup. I priced out a 3-section Tama rack with extra cymbal & Tom holders and realized my stands are working very well.
Your comment made me think... i now have the idea to get 3 or 4 Yamaha WS-904A Double Tom Stands. Yamaha and Pearl have the same diameter for tom arms etc, so this will work nicely. Will cost me way less than a new rack (like half of it) and i'm no longer restricted with my rack. I can use 2 to mount the rocket toms, left china and tambourine on.

Then have a centre one to hold the 2 toms and slip a Yamaha TH-904 Double Tom Holder in the free spot so i have 3 free holes to mount the from splashes and stack from. That was my main concern how i could mount everything in front of me without it being a hardware nightmare. Have seen someone do that either here on on the PDF and think that's a great solution. Then just use stands for the rest, but i have enough clamps to facilitate that and i think my kit will even look better with stands. Will sleep over this for the next weekend hehe

Updates! New Zildjian 18" K Dark Thin Crash. Great to have 3 crashes again and now i want a 17" K Custom Dark Crash to have 4 hehe.
In the process of trying to get a 13" tom for my kit. Oh yes... and deciced to keep the rack instead of stands; so much easier setting up. But for now, enjoy the pics.

2021-12-10 16.04.58.jpg

2021-12-10 16.04.00.jpg

2021-12-10 16.04.44.jpg

Yup... added some new things again hehe

New is the 17" K Custom Dark Crash and the 16" Oriental China is replaced with the 18" 2002 Novo. Really like my crash setup this way. Inspired by Todd Sucherman with his older setup where he went 17, 19, 18, 20. Not using the same sizes, but i really like that if i go LRLR starting on the 17" K Custom Dark i go down in pitch to the 18" K Custom, 18" K Thin and 19" K Thin. Or up in pitch RLRL starting on the 19".

The 17" K Custom Dark has a smaller bell as the other 3 and i do notice that it's volume is lower, but that's the reason i got it. Blends in perfectly with the rest.
The 18" Novo is a beast though. No more subtle china sounds in this setup :p

When the 13" arrives think i will also get the 6x21" rocket tom and i guess that my setup has reached it's final form then :)
And now some pics!

2022-03-18 11.11.55.jpg

1647630498393.jpeg

2022-03-18 16.31.09.jpg

2022-03-18 16.32.23.jpg

Oh man this is the best reply on one of my post ever! I'm cracking up that you even spotted it :ROFLMAO:
Your studio is da bomb! I had to snoop! 👌

Last edited:
Quick update: I'm going to return the 18" Novo China. It is too klangy and doesn't have the thrashiness the 20" has. It's also the same thickness as the 20", guess if Paiste made the 18" a bit thinner it would be a gorgeous china. So going to return it and great thing about Thomann is that you get a full refund. Was playing yesterday and just got annoyed. Took a few minutes to realize i was just dissapointed in that cymbal.

Debating on the 17" too. It has a small bell and my other crashes have a bigger bell. The 17" really gets lost in the volume that way. Soundwise it is amazing and really connects with the other 3 crashes, but sadly it lacks volume. Maybe gonna get the 19" or another 18"... or just as Neil Peart get a 20" crash. Dilemmas! xD

Quick update: I'm going to return the 18" Novo China. It is too klangy and doesn't have the thrashiness the 20" has. It's also the same thickness as the 20", guess if Paiste made the 18" a bit thinner it would be a gorgeous china. So going to return it and great thing about Thomann is that you get a full refund. Was playing yesterday and just got annoyed. Took a few minutes to realize i was just dissapointed in that cymbal.

Debating on the 17" too. It has a small bell and my other crashes have a bigger bell. The 17" really gets lost in the volume that way. Soundwise it is amazing and really connects with the other 3 crashes, but sadly it lacks volume. Maybe gonna get the 19" or another 18"... or just as Neil Peart get a 20" crash. Dilemmas! xD
I've had that exact feeling. I got a 20" a custom projection ride and it lasted about 10 minutes before i sold it. It was horrible.

Here's a quick pic i took last Friday. Turns out that the wide angle lens option on my phone is great for these pics haha

Going to order a Gibraltar boom arm for the stack on the right (the same as i have for the splashes and stack in the middle) so i can mount it on a PC-8 clamp. It's now on a PC-7 clamp (sadly Pearl doesn't make this anymore) i found years back (the Sonar x-hat is on the other). Great clamp since you can mount smaller sized tubes in them. Going to put that on the left side and mount an L rod in it to mount the tambourine on, instead of the small cymbal boom arm i have it mounted on now.

Probably going to get a Meinl Gen-X 8" Filter China too to replace the Zildjian 10" Oriental China Trash i have under the 10" PST-X Swiss Splash to open up the sound. And get a Paiste 6" 2002 Accent to put over it. Had one years ago, sold it and i miss the sound of it. Fun little thing!

View attachment 95322
Sweeeet Rig!

Drummer_D

I thought I'd just leave these here :)
Still struggling to find a sweet spot for the rocket toms, but i like them there. The downside is that the china is less accesable, so this is a temporary compromise

2020-04-17-14-00-39.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-46.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-54.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-07.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-34.jpg
Lookin' Good... Oh yeah!

Drummer_D
Ok, so i did this amazing thing today... swapped heads. And it sounds so amazing! Rocking clear Pinstripes over clear Ambassadors on the toms and floor toms now. Nice low and phat sound, just what i was aiming for. Also put clear Pinstripe Bass on the bass drums and wow.... LOUD! Such a nice attack slappy sound. Ideal metal sound, also what i was aiming for. Changed the clear CS on the snare for a coated CS again and there is that familiar sound again. Liked to idea to experiment with sounds, but never change a winning formula :)
Just the perfect head to get a nice pop when you crank it, have a sensitive snare sound and not too much ring.

2020-05-01-14-38-19.jpg

2020-05-01-14-38-27.jpg

After this I'm pretty sure to say that I've settled with Remo. Used Evans for quite some time and Aquarian too in the past, but there's just something about that Remo sound :)

Oh and although i didn't took a pic of it; i put the rocket toms further away. More comfortable that way and on the plus side the china is lower as well.
Looks Amazing! Rock on!

Drummer_D

Back