My Pearl Masters BCX

Put the china on a stand between the two bass drums, ala Ray Luzier. Plenty of room.

Put the china on a stand between the two bass drums, ala Ray Luzier. Plenty of room.

I want a china on the left side and always had it next to the main crash on the same height. I didn't mean that I was searching for a different position for it, but thanks anyway

Here's a quick pic i took last Friday. Turns out that the wide angle lens option on my phone is great for these pics haha

Going to order a Gibraltar boom arm for the stack on the right (the same as i have for the splashes and stack in the middle) so i can mount it on a PC-8 clamp. It's now on a PC-7 clamp (sadly Pearl doesn't make this anymore) i found years back (the Sonar x-hat is on the other). Great clamp since you can mount smaller sized tubes in them. Going to put that on the left side and mount an L rod in it to mount the tambourine on, instead of the small cymbal boom arm i have it mounted on now.

Probably going to get a Meinl Gen-X 8" Filter China too to replace the Zildjian 10" Oriental China Trash i have under the 10" PST-X Swiss Splash to open up the sound. And get a Paiste 6" 2002 Accent to put over it. Had one years ago, sold it and i miss the sound of it. Fun little thing!

20200821_144844_r.jpg

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm there Mark? ?
Well, one of my friend told me that people who have more cymbals than drums are cymbalists, not drummers, it could have been someone in this forum though... Anyway, I had a small rehearsal place and wanted to get the smallest footprint and got a rack, an older Pearl I think, bought used.... I have 3 rack Toms on it plus 10 cymbals... And 7 others on 3 extra stands that could be replaced with the side bar of the rack, mine is just a front rack and yes, rack is awesome to put more on a smaller footprint and...I just remove the cymbals and the toms and bring it to the truck at the back, not folded at all...

Last edited:
Here are some pics i took yesterday. Played with 2 toms up front for a while with the ride in a lower position, but i realized yesterday that i really missed that 8" tom and the extra rocket tom... so, again, reverted back to this bigger setup to find that it's way more comfortable.
Also turned the clamps for the 2 rocket toms on the side rack so they mount from underneath and finally found a solution to get them on a suitable height.

Wat has changed since the last pic as well is the addition of the two Paiste accents on top of the splashes. And switched the china under the PSTX splash to an 8" Meinl filter china. Also changed the beaters to Tama Accu strike beaters and not a huge fan of those. Didn't realize the beaters were made from a softer rubber (i assumed they would be some sort of more hardened plastic) and makes the bass drums sound a tad less punchy. Going to get some good old wooden IC beaters sometime soon. Have those on my double pedal and those are great!

2020-11-13 16.34.26_R.jpg2020-11-13 15.06.48_R.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics i took yesterday. Played with 2 toms up front for a while with the ride in a lower position, but i realized yesterday that i really missed that 8" tom and the extra rocket tom... so, again, reverted back to this bigger setup to find that it's way my comfortable.
Also turned the clamps for the 2 rocket toms on the side rack so they mount from underneath and finally found a solution to get them on a suitable height.

Wat has changed since the last pic as well is the addition of the two Paiste accents on top of the splashes. And switched the china under the PSTX splash to an 8" Meinl filter china. Also changed the beaters to Tama Accu strike beaters and not a huge fan of those. Didn't realize the beaters were made from a softer rubber (i assumed they would be some sort of more hardened plastic) and makes the bass drums sound a tad less punchy. Going to get some good old wooden IC beaters sometime soon. Have those on my double pedal and those are great!
Never get tired of looking at your setup mate! (y) :cool:

Here are some pics i took yesterday. Played with 2 toms up front for a while with the ride in a lower position, but i realized yesterday that i really missed that 8" tom and the extra rocket tom... so, again, reverted back to this bigger setup to find that it's way my comfortable.

View attachment 97908View attachment 97909

That looks so fun man - nice.

Reactions: iCe
What's a rocket tom?
It’s Pearl’s version of Tama’s Octoban.

pen_Octabans_00_01.png

Some new pics because it's awesome :p

Minor adjustments this time. Left out the 4" Paiste Accent. It's just too small; i tend to miss it most of the time and the volume is too low. Thinking of adding the 6x21" rocket tom to complete that setup and also move the rocket toms more to the right (so 2 of them will be above the hats). Also means that the crash moves more to the right as well and that might even be a more comfortable position. And thinking of moving the bassdrums a bit farther apart since my lower legs move a bit inwards and that really causes some knee problems (i guess when you're 37 you're getting old hehe).

Think i will replace the Evans EQ patches i have on my bass heads; the material is really abrasive and even my wooden beaters show signs of wear ?
Need to replace the felt on the hi-hat bottom since the bottom cymbal has a weird angle now; the felt has a weird 'dip' on one side (i like it perfectly flat, maybe at a slight angle, to get a good foot sound).
Also might swap all the heads on the rocket toms to clear Pinstripes too. Think that my snare head after almost year needs replacement too; i always cranck the batter head, but it starts to sound a tad lifeless now. Thinking of maybe getting a coated PS3 for a change or an Emperor X. Not that i'm a hard hitter, but i'm looking for a head that can endure a high tuning.

Enough yapping and thinking, time for pics!
2021-04-02 12.25.34.jpg

2021-04-02 12.25.23.jpg

2021-04-02 12.25.44.jpg

2021-04-02 12.26.01.jpg

Some new pics because it's awesome :p

Minor adjustments this time. Left out the 4" Paiste Accent. It's just too small; i tend to miss it most of the time and the volume is too low. Thinking of adding the 6x21" rocket tom to complete that setup and also move the rocket toms more to the right (so 2 of them will be above the hats). Also means that the crash moves more to the right as well and that might even be a more comfortable position. And thinking of moving the bassdrums a bit farther apart since my lower legs move a bit inwards and that really causes some knee problems (i guess when you're 37 you're getting old hehe).

Think i will replace the Evans EQ patches i have on my bass heads; the material is really abrasive and even my wooden beaters show signs of wear ?
Need to replace the felt on the hi-hat bottom since the bottom cymbal has a weird angle now; the felt has a weird 'dip' on one side (i like it perfectly flat, maybe at a slight angle, to get a good foot sound).
Also might swap all the heads on the rocket toms to clear Pinstripes too. Think that my snare head after almost year needs replacement too; i always cranck the batter head, but it starts to sound a tad lifeless now. Thinking of maybe getting a coated PS3 for a change or an Emperor X. Not that i'm a hard hitter, but i'm looking for a head that can endure a high tuning.

Enough yapping and thinking, time for pics!
View attachment 103136

View attachment 103135

View attachment 103137

View attachment 103139
Stunning mate...absolutely stunning. :love: ? (y)

Reactions: iCe
I thought I'd just leave these here :)
Still struggling to find a sweet spot for the rocket toms, but i like them there. The downside is that the china is less accesable, so this is a temporary compromise

2020-04-17-14-00-39.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-46.jpg

2020-04-17-14-00-54.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-07.jpg

2020-04-17-14-01-34.jpg
You must have real long arms, LOL

Awesome, awesome kit. If I could change one thing about it - I'd get the bassdrum hoops painted completely black. That'd make it perfect.

A couple of new pics. Changed my setup a few week back and scaled down, only to realize i just want everything back haha. Some minor changes to the cymbal setup as well.
New addition is the Pearl 10x5" steel Firecracker snare. Loads of fun to have such a small side snare.
Also finally changed the heads on the rocket toms to Pinstripes. Should have done it much earlier; they sound exactly the way i want them.
New head on the main snare as well... and finally i tried out some Vic Firth hickory 5A's again and think i will be switching to those

2021-08-06 12.45.43.jpg

2021-08-06 12.45.31.jpg

2021-08-06 12.45.11.jpg

2021-08-06 12.45.02.jpg

Super sharp kit. Love that finish!

I'm a big fan of clear pinstripes too. They sound just right to me.

Thanks! For this kit they're just the perfect heads. Had other kits in the past and steered away from them (clear Ambassadors or clear Emperors were my choices), but on this kit the Pinstripes just seem to bring out that lovely birch sound!

Back