My New/Used Ludwig Supraphonic

drumhead61

Gold Member
OK drummer family I just got a 1966 Keystone Badge Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum 5x14 in excellent condition on Ebay a few weeks ago...I have already taken off the Aquarian head and put on a Remo Coated Ambassador and love the sound of this snare. Its got a CRACK to it that I have been wanting for some time now and it is finally mine. Take a look and let me know what ya think:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=596&pictureid=3894

there are a couple other pics that you can see from my profile area but the camera just does not do this drum justice...it is in great shape for its age...I feel like a lucky man!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I viewed the pics in your profile.
Great snare but are you sure it's a 1966 snare?
That badge is newer (like 1990's newer) than '66--unless it was replaced.

The 60's keystone badge was a lot smaller.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and the drums is still a 400 and would sound the same.

At least yours is round! I bought a '69 shell and was geeked, but it was out of round and I had to send it back. I couldn't even get a head on it, and after I looked you could see it was out--at least I got my money back.

Enjoy your drum!!

drumhead61

Gold Member
Karl, the serial number is 330928 so that is what I was going by when I did that by checking the Ludwig drums serial guide otherwise I would not have had a clue as to what I had.

I viewed the pics in your profile.
Great snare but are you sure it's a 1966 snare?
That badge is newer (like 1990's newer) than '66--unless it was replaced.

The 60's keystone badge was a lot smaller.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and the drums is still a 400 and would sound the same.

At least yours is round! I bought a '69 shell and was geeked, but it was out of round and I had to send it back. I couldn't even get a head on it, and after I looked you could see it was out--at least I got my money back.

Enjoy your drum!!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I checked it out on your profile mate. Sweet drum, but agree with Karl, the badge looks like my 402 and BB badges. The 402 I got in the mid nineties and the BB around '00/'01. The badge on the 400 of that era should be a small Chicago Keystone. The butt plate looks like my 400 (philip head screws instead of drum key) and the muffler on mine is the baseball bat style as opposed to the round knob. What throw off is on it? I have the godforsaken P-83!

Still, if it is a '66 with some refinements, then it's in way better nick than mine.....no pitting that I can see. Enjoy it either way.....I got a ton of mileage out of mine. New or old, they truely are great sounding drums.

Solaris

Silver Member
We actually had someone trade in a '67 supra at work today, and yes the badges are A LOT smaller.

May I just say though, that this is one of the best sounding metal snares I've ever heard?

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Please put me in your will, Liam can have any one of my snare drums. 1966 was a great year, I was made that same year. :) haha

drumhead61

Gold Member
Well thanks for the input like I said without the serial guide I never would have even gave it a year...either way there is no rain on my parade since I got a superb drum for a great price with an excellent sound so 66 or 2010 I would be happy all the same.

sqadan

I own a 68 Supra, and I can tell you without a doubt that you have a drum from the 80's or 90's.

The badge is the same as the badge on my 80's Big Beat Kit - but the 60's Ludwig badge is much smaller and is embossed or engraved... not printed on.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I own a 68 Supra, and I can tell you without a doubt that you have a drum from the 80's or 90's.

The badge is the same as the badge on my 80's Big Beat Kit - but the 60's Ludwig badge is much smaller and is embossed or engraved... not printed on.
There's no doubt about that badge at all. A 60's era would definitely be a Chicago Keystone. But that serial number is bothering me.....it put's it right in the ball park of a '66 model. Confusing indeed.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm guessing it'll be a new line or something like that. Clever advertising. I've seen this sort of thing before, where there's an incredible amount of hype surrounding a date as opposed to a product......ONLY FIVE DAYS TIL 'IT'S' HERE....that sort of thing. Keeps you wondering and thinking about it, which means an advertiser has done his job.

Grabbed your attention didn't it? And after your post, it's certainly grabbed mine. Only two days and 19 odd hours to go and I guess we'll find out hey.

jodgey4

Silver Member
Dang, thanks for the fast reply! And nice snare btw!
Maybe there giving away new Centennial 14" x 26" bass drums, 15" rack toms, and 20" floor toms to people like me! Hehehe, I'm not good enough though to deserve that, nor do I have the space!

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

..........................................................................................................................................................

Last edited: