My new (used and restored) mapex saturn

Trigger

Hi all. After three months of waiting my drums finally arrived at my house in New Zealand today! Heres a little reminder of what I was dealing with:
7y8iPV0.jpg

It had a bunch of stickers on it and the shells had a lot of crap on the wrap. Sticky residue and marks.
Fast forward three months. I got it home and cleaned it again:

60jnzTe.jpg

Thankfully it didnt smash in transit so thanks to everyone on the PDF that gave me packaging tips. First thing I wanted to do was get rid of the infamous mapex tom mount:

Vco2pHh.jpg

Next up was putting the new aquarian heads on it. I'm quite ocd about the looks of my drums and I wanted the porthole to be at the bottom of the kick reso, so that involved getting rid of the the aquarian logo:

SujjMuj.jpg

9o4gSKS.jpg

DDSP4ix.jpg

Then i tried putting a black mapex logo on it, but it wasn't really visible, so I took it off soon after and replaced it with a white logo

2wWt7Mj.jpg

Then I had the rather boring job of reattaching all the lugs and putting the heads on either side.

CjdqgXH.jpg

I also decided to take the stickers off the hoops because I felt they clashed a bit with the black chrome.

bmShOR7.jpg

heres all the components. I didnt have time to do the 10" tom or tune any of the drums.

50L0Ugl.jpg

vZcthHS.jpg

dTz7Cdv.jpg

vOM4SUm.jpg

And here are the pictures of it all together. Also included are my new K dark hats and my 6.5 Black panther hammered brass snare. Hope you guys like it. only had a chance to play the 12" a little bit but man it sounded nice and deep. Not sure if its the heads, the saturns in general or what, but I cant wait to tune these guys up tomorrow and have a jam.

j8ViSHl.jpg

lmlLpv9.jpg

TmAM52t.jpg

Xl710O6.jpg

4eNKGHa.jpg

0vYZXId.jpg

9Pt9eSz.jpg

j8ViSHl.jpg

Hope you like them :)

3 months! That would kill me. Your drums are looking very nice. I bet you're glad they finally arrived. Happy playing.

Yeah the three months was not fun to wait, but I hadnt played drums in about 1.5 years, so the extra three months wasnt really too bad in comparison. Thanks for the comments :D

Awesome kit, can't go wrong with a set of Saturns. Enjoy!

Very nice kit. Isn't it possible to remove the bracket on the rack tom or is it permanently attached to those lugs?

Yeah it is possible but you need to buy replacement lugs because the mount takes up about 3mm of space. I dont think I'll take them off because I've got a 10" rack tom that ill probably mount with it sometime.

your kit is looking absolutely FANtastic....!! I can see & hear your drums thanking you for the love hahaha they look great and sure will sound great no doubt, have fun

Nice tubs. I've always liked the Saturns.​

Back