My New Oriollo Cast Bell Bronze Snare!!!

axisT6

Back in January I contacted Oriollo drums to inquire about having a cast bell bronze snare shell made. I was amazed all the options offered! Here are the specifics I settled on:

14x8
3.4 mm shell thickness
7 mm re-rings
Roundover 45 edges
Holes drilled for offset single point double ended lugs and trick strainer

I finished the drum out with Gibraltar Reinforced Die-Cast hoops, german wires, and remo heads.

The drum turned out beautiful!

Here is the bare shell.

I ordered polished aluminum offset single point double ended lugs from Champagne Drum. These went together nicely and are surprisingly light weight!

Here is a shot of the Gibraltar Reinforced Die-Cast hoops I used. It is hard to tell in the picture, however there is extra metal around the tension rod hole to keep that part of the hoop from deflecting. These hoops are VERY stiff!

Coming together:

DONE!!

Before assembly I did give the shell a rub down with alcohol and waxed it inside and out.

Like said, I am very happy. Oriollo makes awesome drums for even better prices, and provides good customer service. All emails were answered quickly, some same day which is saying a lot given the time difference between the US and Serbia.

Thanks again Oriollo!!!

Beautiful drum! How did you work out getting the shell drilled for the lugs you purchased? Did you send one to Orillo to use as a template? I wasn't aware that they will accommodate third party lug.

All, thanks. This drum is truly amazing. The sound is intoxicating! Lots of crack (hoops, re-rings), lots of body, lots of smiles. I want to experiment with different tunings. Right now it is tuned a little high. I am also using a hazy emporer snare side head which is a bit interesting.

Beautiful drum! How did you work out getting the shell drilled for the lugs you purchased? Did you send one to Orillo to use as a template? I wasn't aware that they will accommodate third party lug.

If Oriollo is making you a shell, I don't think there is issue with him drilling it how you want. It may be different if you are having him build out a complete drum.

As for the lug holes, I simply asked Champagne Drums what size was needed for their lug, and then asked what the offset was. In my case, the lugs needed a 1/4" hole drilled in the shell. The mounting point on the lug is 1.5" offset from center. The lug is 5" long. The shell is 8" deep. The math worked out such that 10 equally spaced holes needed to be drilled 2.5" from the bottom edge of the shell. I sent this to Oriollo in an email and he handled it accordingly. He also drilled the shell for a trick strainer and butt plate. All of the parts mounted beautifully.

Stunning ! yes, get that in a studio or gig w/ something like a Zoom. Oriollo also on my list...

Is machining metal off considered a re-ring? I thought a re-ring was an additional piece of material added to the ID for strength...not machined in grooves. Either way, lovely snare! Just trying to get my vernacular correct.

F

Is machining metal off considered a re-ring? I thought a re-ring was an additional piece of material added to the ID for strength...not machined in grooves. Either way, lovely snare! Just trying to get my vernacular correct.

F

I also wanted to ask what the re-ring is for on this particular shell. Sound or structure? The shell looks pretty thick, so I'm guessing it's for sound?

Either way it looks great!

F

Are there literal re-rings in the shell? No. In this context "re-ring" would describe an edge reinforced by having a thicker cross section than the rest of the shell. The same could be said for a wood stave or solid ply shell where wood is removed from the middle and the ends are left being thicker.

What the re-rings do from my understanding is allow you to have the best of both worlds between a thin shell and thick shell. You get the attack of a thick shell with the warmth/body of a thinner shell. The pitch is somewhere in between.

It may be unnecessary with a metal shell that is already 3 mm thick, however it was an option so I went with it.

Are there literal re-rings in the shell? No. In this context "re-ring" would describe an edge reinforced by having a thicker cross section than the rest of the shell. The same could be said for a wood stave or solid ply shell where wood is removed from the middle and the ends are left being thicker.

What the re-rings do from my understanding is allow you to have the best of both worlds between a thin shell and thick shell. You get the attack of a thick shell with the warmth/body of a thinner shell. The pitch is somewhere in between.

It may be unnecessary with a metal shell that is already 3 mm thick, however it was an option so I went with it.

Yeah, I don't see the need for re-rings on a 3 mm shell, unless you're playing in a REALLY loud environment, or you are cranking super-high for reggae or such.

Yeah, I don't see the need for re-rings on a 3 mm shell, unless you're playing in a REALLY loud environment, or you are cranking super-high for reggae or such.

I would think in this application having the machined in rings would give a greater head to edge contact area drawing more sound out of the shell and also changing the feel...so I could see where that might could be appealing?

Back