my new/old Slingys, all cleaned up!!!!

gregcon

Found these piled up in a Sam Ash around 3 weeks ago. They are the same kit I once purchased new some 40 years ago and sold after playing them for ~10 years. I've missed them and now they're back, Baby! This is how they look, after 3 weeks worth of evenings disassembling. cleaning, polishing, waxing, and finally reassembly & tuning.

I got em for $730 (drums only)... which I now realize is about what they went for new.... with hardware!

gregcon

To be clear, they are not the same shells I owned, but the same model kit, same era, sizes, same wrap.... minus the 40 years of yellowing.... Still, very cool for me.

Boom

Silver Member
That chrome looks new! The tom mount really looks new. How much of the chrome is original? Great job (even if it wasn't in bad shape to begin with).

gregcon

Well, it's definitely gone green-yellow with time. The color in the pic is not how they looked when new. The chrome is not perfect but looks real good from a couple feet away. The bass hoops I painted. I used a lot of nevr dull, McGuires auto finish polish, turtle wax, and elbow grease. I believe the the metal parts to be original, or at least period correct replacements.