My new Mapex MyDentity kit

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
My early Christmas gift just arrived from Mapex. 16x26 kick, 12x14 rack, 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms. 100% Maple shells. The Mapex MyDentity team that puts these kits together in TN have great customer service skills. I spoke with Matt at Mapex, told him I wanted the 12x14 floor tom put together as a rack he said no problem. He told me up front that the small holes for the legs were predrilled but they would wrap it like a rack. Small holes a carpenter friend, issue fixed in like 20 minutes using what looked like fat tooth picks. Remo coated Emperors on top coated Ambassadors on the bottom. Custom bass head from Evans Inked. After initial tuning they sound great. I'll share more detailed reviews after I play them a while.

Attachments

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Interesting finish and interesting hardware setup there. What are you using to support your rack tom and snare? And the thing on the other side? Jojo pedal?

B

Bandit

Very cool! I think that is the same finish that Glen Sobel has on his, but with red hardware, that he uses for Alice Cooper. Thank goodness someone finally posted a Mydentity kit on here. Now people here have proof that they sold one. I think it is the coolest program in drums right now. I should probably order one just to back up this claim.

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
@Dre25, it is the same finish that Glen Sobel has on his kit, the finish looks more black in person but when the flash goes off it gets this blueish color to it. I was looking for something different but not too loud, I leave the loudness up to the drums. Also I'm not into different color hardware, chrome is just my preference. I did include pictures of my hardware setup. I use a Gibraltar Stealth mounting system with two snare baskets. One snare basket is from a DW 5303 snare. I needed a snare basket large enough to support the 15 inch Flex Frame I use to mount the tom. Using the Flex Frame I have no choking issues. I love it. Yes, that's a JoJo pedal. Best pedal investment I've made. Took some time getting use to but for my taste well worth the effort. I've included pictures of the hardware without the kit.

Attachments

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
@Bandit, thanks and correct on the finish. I agree its a great program, $999 for 4 big 100% maple shells, in a finish I love as well as the sizes I wanted, delivered to my local Sam Ash in 30 days. On top of that this was my first experience dealing with Mapex and the guys at Mapex in TN sepcifically Matt did an outstanding job of helping me and keeping me posted. Great customer service. Of course all this is secondary to the sound and as it stands with the new heads and initial tuning, excellent sound. Once I round it off with some Paiste cymbals its all good. I'll be doing my first set of gigs in over 12 years in the spring.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I like the finish :) but I like the setup even more. Sizes, plus your use of the stealth rack, makes for a very inviting rock kit :)

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
Thanks for kind words everyone. The rack has made a tremendous difference in my ability to maintain consistency and speed during tear down and set up. When I picked up the kit last night swapping out the shells was a breeze because of the rack. Some small adjustments due to the new sizes and done. I'm getting a Mat Marker system from Baskey products in England which will compliment the rack system. It should make it easier for me or my roadie aka wife (just kidding) to tear down and set up the kit. I'm also going to get some soft cases for the kit and a hardware case. I already have the cymbal case.
I'm doing it this way because I remember 20 years ago just dragging the kit from gig to gig, sometimes not feeling comfortable with the set up as well as stuff banging into it during local travel. I also remember how painful the cymbals were to carry around with out a case. lol live and learn. This time around I can afford it, I just want to enjoy some gigs and have a good time playing the kit. It's win win for me. Thanks for letting me share.

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
@mmulcahy1, thanks I borrowed the eagle and added the rest myself and sent the design to Inked by Evans. They did an excellent job replicating what I sent them and the price was not bad. $98 with shipping.

john gerrard

So tell me, how do you like that monster kick. Are you having troubles playing with pedal bounce without a ported reso? I have a Renown 24 inch kick and as much as I tried to get used to a solid reso I ended up porting the reso. There is still plenty of BOOM. Beautiful drums. I bet they rumble. John

Galadrm

Those gibraltar one legged snare stands are great, rock solid quite surprisingly and more room for pedals. Less flexibility. Nice kit too
Any chance of a vid or soundclip at least?

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
@Galadrm, I think I've taken enough dust off to put together a small clip without embarssing myself so yes I'll see what I can do to get it done and posted over the weekend.