My New K Custom Hybrids

KBadd

Silver Member
I just got back from Resurrection Drums in Hollywood, FL, rezdrums.com, and brought home an 18" and a 16" K Custom Hybrid crashes. These are great!

I spent plenty of time (with my own sticks) listening to all the Zil crashes. The 18" is amazing and versatile......to say the least. And I wanted a 16" that did not sound like a thin whisper......I FOUND IT! These babies ROCK! Bass player due to arrive here in 30 minutes.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
They are about the nicest sounding pies that I have ever played.
I have the 13 1/4 hats, 11" splash, 17" and 19" crashes.

Have fun with them! Enjoy!

PeniScott

Silver Member
I used a set at a festival a few weeks back and they all sounded great. Like you, it had 16 and 18" crashes along with 20" ride and 14" mastersounds. All of them were a joy to play and if i had the money, i'd definitely get at least the 20" Hybrid ride because of it's crashability. Great wash too.

xoxo

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The 20 inch ride reminds me of an old Paiste 2oo2. I liked it.
I like the 21 hybrid ride more that the 20.

thechief7676

I dig 'em as well. I have the 9" splash, 19" crash, 21" ride, and today i received the 13" bottom hat that I scored on ebay for $60 bucks! I have an old 13" K top from the early 90's i'm going to put on top.

I've played K's for a number of years and this line is by far my favorite.

A

audiotech

Zildjian K Custom cymbals are great. The only Hybrid I have is the 11" splash, all my other K Customs are Dark cymbals which includes the 20" ride. 14" hats, four crashes and a 12" splash. Another 10" Dark splash is going to join the group next week.

Dennis

groovy

I have a 19" Hybrid crash, and it is a great cymbal. I love it.

PeniScott

Silver Member
By the looks of things, the Hybrids are possibly a little underrated?

The A series (and the New Beats in particular) are often held in high regard when the K Custom Hybrids are often just as good. It's a shame they don't come in more sizes, i wouldn't mind trying a 24" Hybrid ride and a 22" Hybrid crash.

xoxo

ecpietscheck

heyyy man
good for you!
k hybrids are great, i have a 11 splash and is one of the cymbals i use the most!
cheers mate

drumtechdad

Gold Member
if i had the money, i'd definitely get at least the 20" Hybrid ride because of it's crashability. Great wash too.

xoxo

Plus, it has a killer bell. Will kill small animals at close range.

PeniScott

Silver Member
my only question is why are they in the k custom series?

Because they're not A Customs. A Customs are brilliant finish, so a half unlathed bell, half traditional finish bow wouldn't essentially be an A Custom.
xoxo

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
my only question is why are they in the k custom series? they seem more a custom-ish
I think that they are considered K's because they are the base of a standard K with custom sizing and lathing. I think that marketing had something to do with the naming also.
I love the odd inch sizes! The first ones were all odd sizes. They added the even sizes afterwards. I have some of the earliest ones that were produced.
When I picked my Agop Sultan Jazz Ride, I chose the 21 inch after sampling the 20 and the 22 sizes.
The same was true when I selected my K Custom Hybrids. The odd sizes sounded unique to me and that is what I selected when I purchased.

The bell on the Hybrid 19 inch crash is really special!

The 13 1/4 hats really hit me as different also. I selected them for that reason.
I do like the 14's but not as much.

Biscuit

I got a chance to play some Hybrids the other day at the Memphis Drum Shop. Those are some really nice cymbals. I had never had the chance to play on some Zildjian K Customs and i immediately fell in love with these cymbals. I loved the sound those things have and when i hit it, it felt like hitting a pillow. It felt nice to hit a thinner cymbal than what i'm used to playing. If i had the money on me i would have brought the 18" home with me but......

groovy

my only question is why are they in the k custom series? they seem more a custom-ish

It is because they are un-lathed and hand hammered on the inner part of the cymbal, and have the traditional K lathing on the outer part, hence the name "hybrid". The inner, un-lathed portion is a brilliant finish, hence the "custom". You can get very different sound dynamics from the K Hybrids based on where it is played because of this. However, I agree that the overall tone is much brighter than a traditional K.

k hybrid is quite possibly my favorite china of all time. Its the china sound that plays in my mind when i'm thinking up a groove.

Can anyone here that has the 19" tell me if they're great for wash riding. I keep hearing these everywhere but i've never heard them wash ride. Thanks.

cnw60

My only K Custom Hybrid is the 17" crash and I do love that cymbal. It was being sold by a guy who was selling off his whole kit and I originally wanted just his Paragon ride. When I got there and heard the K Hybrid - well, let's just say I had to make a quick trip to the ATM to get a little more cash.

Very versatile cymbal IMO - it is my 1st choice when playing a stripped down kit with just a ride and a crash. I'd love to demo a set of hats - it seems like they might just be perfect.

Can anyone here that has the 19" tell me if they're great for wash riding. I keep hearing these everywhere but i've never heard them wash ride. Thanks.

i have it and yes they are, i would be a little carefull though as the edge of it looks a little thin so it may crack under heavy use