My new DW 5000s

805Drummer

Gold Member
My DW 5000 Accelerator AD3 double pedal just came about half an hour.
I set it up, adjusted it, and snapped some pictures.
First impressions:

-The hardware itself is ROCK SOLID. Nothing moves, everything is sturdy.
-It looks GREAT with my kit. Seriously. Red and black, red and black, red and black.

Everything feels very smooth, except not one million times better than my PDPs.
I definitely need to get some new beaters, because one of these is completely worn away (just the felt side) but it's still 100% playable.
There is one problem, however:

Basically, on the slave beater, something seems broken.
When I use the pedal slowly, it moves forward, then kind of mechanically rocks back and forth a bit, then keeps going.
It feels like something is loose, but I have all of the nuts and bolts tightened.
EDIT: After some experimenting, I discovered that the problem is the little thing that connects the beater to the main pedal is loose, and it wobbles.
I'll take a video of the problem if nessecary, and it'd be awesome if you guys could help.

On with the pics!

PIC_2210.jpg

PIC_2212.jpg

PIC_2214.jpg

PIC_2215.jpg

PIC_2217.jpg

PIC_2219.jpg

PIC_2220.jpg

PIC_2222.jpg

PIC_2223.jpg

PIC_2227.jpg

PIC_2232.jpg

Nice. I am not a double bass fan myself, but it looks good altogether.

Is the pedal new or used.??
Are you talking about the connecting shaft or bar??

Just use the plastic side. I do, and my BD is so.......(theres just no other word) BAM!!!

Also, If you're getting an impact pacth, go thick, for even more attack.

Basically, on the slave beater, something seems broken.
When I use the pedal slowly, it moves forward, then kind of mechanically rocks back and forth a bit, then keeps going.
It feels like something is loose, but I have all of the nuts and bolts tightened.
EDIT: After some experimenting, I discovered that the problem is the little thing that connects the beater to the main pedal is loose, and it wobbles.
I'll take a video of the problem if nessecary, and it'd be awesome if you guys could help.

I think that you are talking about the clamp that connents the beater to the shaft of the pedal. You can use an allen wrench to tighen it.

I think that you are talking about the clamp that connents the beater to the shaft of the pedal. You can use an allen wrench to tighen it.

Ummm...that might be it. Let me draw a picture:

PIC_2215-1.jpg

See the one on the left? It's slightly loose...it might have to do with the fact that there's no drum key knob thing, there's only one on the right. There is a little black thing sticking out of it, but no knob.

Is that black thing an allen screw that needs tightening with an allen wrench??

Ha! That's only the second pic of a delivery truck I've seen on the forum. That translates to "super excited to get some gear." Many of us can relate to that.

Nice to see the forum help you and your Pops tighten it up. Good work Gruntersdad.

Also, you are dead right about the looks, though. It makes the pedals look custom matched to the drums. Curious, since the pedals and drums are both DW, is there much difference in the tint of the red or is it spot on?

Cool stuff.

now you just need a new hat stand to match :p

but it looks like that bass skin is knackered

There really aren't any pedals better than the DW 5000's. They are a solid investment. Just be sure to keep all the connections good and tight, and clean it with some WD-40 every once and a while. It will serve you well. I suggest (when you're comfortable) taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together to get yourself familiar with how it functions. Then you can adjust beater position, spring tension, etc and get it to feel PERFECT.

Also, flipping the beaters around is a good suggestion. You'll never have to replace them, but your bass head will wear a bit faster.

He's right. Buy a kickpad.

But apart from that lookin good! I think half the forum members on here must have one of those pedals, be it the single or double version, including me ;). Mine came with it's own case though.

Ha! That's only the second pic of a delivery truck I've seen on the forum. That translates to "super excited to get some gear." Many of us can relate to that.

Nice to see the forum help you and your Pops tighten it up. Good work Gruntersdad.

Also, you are dead right about the looks, though. It makes the pedals look custom matched to the drums. Curious, since the pedals and drums are both DW, is there much difference in the tint of the red or is it spot on?

Cool stuff.

That's interesting question. I tried using the Photobucket color-picker to find out. Since the lighting was different, I don't know for sure, but my best guess would be yes.

Don't even get me started, haha! If there's one thing that's not on my priority list, it would be that!

There really aren't any pedals better than the DW 5000's. They are a solid investment. Just be sure to keep all the connections good and tight, and clean it with some WD-40 every once and a while. It will serve you well. I suggest (when you're comfortable) taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together to get yourself familiar with how it functions. Then you can adjust beater position, spring tension, etc and get it to feel PERFECT.

Also, flipping the beaters around is a good suggestion. You'll never have to replace them, but your bass head will wear a bit faster.

I already flipped the beaters around (haven't had a chance to play it), but which part exactly should I clean with WD40? The chains, or the shaft, or what?

That's interesting question. I tried using the Photobucket color-picker to find out. Since the lighting was different, I don't know for sure, but my best guess would be yes.

Don't even get me started, haha! If there's one thing that's not on my priority list, it would be that!

I already flipped the beaters around (haven't had a chance to play it), but which part exactly should I clean with WD40? The chains, or the shaft, or what?

Clean and lube any moving parts, chain, sprocket, shaft, universal joints, etc. Your set has come a long way in the past few months, good work, Is looking great.

See if you prefer the sound of the felt side of the beater over the plastic side. I personally really don't like the sound of plastic beaters, so I always use the felt side.
If you don't want to buy new beaters you might try putting the PDP beaters you have on this pedal - they should be exchangeable without any problems since they're both DW. Or was your PDP pedal a single? I forget...

Best wishes with the new pedals!

Congrats on your pedals! They look great, and are played by some of the greatest drummers too, so now you can never blame your equipment again ;-).
I hope your new kickhead will arive shortly, and then you can show us all what you can do with your new pedals...

As Drumsword said, your kit has come a long way. Have fun making it even more special then it is already. (more cowbell?)

Congrats on your pedals! They look great, and are played by some of the greatest drummers too, so now you can never blame your equipment again ;-).
I hope your new kickhead will arive shortly, and then you can show us all what you can do with your new pedals...

As Drumsword said, your kit has come a long way. Have fun making it even more special then it is already. (more cowbell?)

DEFINATELY More Cowbell

Back