My new drums.

john gerrard

Don't ask me why cause I don't know. I did not need or want another kit but these happened to catch my eye on fleabay. Most of you will remember the 1963 Ludwigs that I rescued and I swore that was my dream kit---------I'll never need another. ha. ha. But I saw these and really liked the sizes and the idea that they would be a great kit for some of the smaller gigs or rougher gigs. They are wrapped so they should be pretty durable and save some wear and tear on the Ludwigs.

Now I knew very little about Taye so I spent a full day researching them. Not a whole heck of a lot of info on the net about them but 99% was all positive. Never seen a set in person so I had to take a blind leap. Bottom line is I'm really pleased with them. These are the ProX series and not their top of the line. They are a birch/basswood hybred shell.

First off the set exceeded my every expectation. The finish both the wrap and the chrome hardware are first class. Even the bass drum claws have a plastic insert to protect the hoop and isolate the claw from making too much contact with the hoop. Nice touch. The tom holder is really good, lots of adjustments and memory locks. Same with the spurs, memory locks and adjustable. Only the floor tom legs didn't have memory locks which would have been nice, but really no big deal. The orange wrap wasn't a first choice, but is very well applied and the look is growing on me.

Now for the shells. First the inside was very well sanded but it doesn't appear to have a protective coat applied. I will put a light coat of teak oil on after the new fun part wears off. I feel that bearing edges are as important as any other aspect of a drum and these were as good as any that I've seen. Nice smooth and very even. They look pretty simular to a Gretsch kit that I had. They have a nice roundover which explains the nice warm, round kinda a 60's vibe sound. If that makes any sense to you. The first thing I do with any kit that I buy,new or used is to take the heads off and tighten all lug and mounting screws and oil all the tension lugs then wax hoop and shells. So while I had the heads off I decided to save the original heads and put on a set of Evans g2 coated on top and G1's on reso. The kick has a EMad 1 with a Remo Amb reso. I'll be expearminting with tom heads even though I really like the sound, but you always in the back of our mind are wondering what if ? ha ha. The kick is just about the most perfect kick sound I've ever had no messing with that.

So overall I know that Taye isn't a household name but I can't recommend them enough. Oh by the way I counted up and I've owned Slingys,Ludwig,Rogers,Gretsch,Tama,Pearl, Yamaha a custom kit, Mapex, Premier and PDP. So I do have some experience---- or a sickness ha ha.

P.S. The sizes 10x7.5, 12 x 8, 14 x 14 and 20 x 16. Best wishes. John

Attachments

• taye 001.JPG
    taye 001.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 727
  • taye 002.JPG
    taye 002.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 621
  • taye 003.JPG
    taye 003.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 614
  • taye 004.JPG
    taye 004.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 619
  • taye 005.JPG
    taye 005.JPG
    376.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Congrats on the new kit!

They look solid. I bet they sound real good. I Would have to get use to the color though.

They look good, and I like the sizes. Don't see them too often around here.
Kind of curious about how much a set like that goes for, and if you have any idea about how old they are.

Nice score. Taye has an excellent reputation for building quality drums. I am surprised that they don't have more market share.

Wild Bill, They were brand new and I paid $575. They may have been a close out. But that was a good price, then after I got them that was a excellent price for they quality drums that I got. I couldn't be happier. I'll give it some more thought, but I'm thinking the 63 Ludwigs may just be going on the market. Who knows?

V.Zrate. The color really isn't that vibrant. I'm just really poor at taking pictures. They really aren't that bad. I bet that they will look awesome under the lights. Like I said that really wouldn't have been my first choice but that was the only set for sale and they do grow on you in person. Believe me they sound so good I don't care if they are a bit bright. ha ha

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
K.I.S. , Thanks. Like I said I'm not that good at taking pictures,they don't do the drums justice, and they are growing on me. After years of trial and error I'm pretty much convinced that those sizes suit me for just about anything I may need. I'm really happy with the sound and to me that is the most important. Best wishes. John

V.Zrate. The color really isn't that vibrant. I'm just really poor at taking pictures. They really aren't that bad. I bet that they will look awesome under the lights. Like I said that really wouldn't have been my first choice but that was the only set for sale and they do grow on you in person. Believe me they sound so good I don't care if they are a bit bright. ha ha

Thanks for looking.

Oh. I see. Lol. Aslong as they sound good to your ears, its all that matters :)

I had a set in Blue Glass right before my Renowns and they are great drums. Pro-X is a middle of the road model for Taye (tie) and should last for ever.

Attachments

• PC230007.JPG
    PC230007.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 455
I had a set in Blue Glass right before my Renowns and they are great drums. Pro-X is a middle of the road model for Taye (tie) and should last for ever.
Grunt, that pic is so cute! :) Did you have a suit to match that of the teddy bear? HAHAHA

Last edited by a moderator:
Grunt, that pic is so cute! :) Did you have a suit to match that of the teddy bear? HAHAHA

My mother was the first WAVE, "Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service", from the State of West Virginia, during WW2 and that is Katie Bear. Salute when you see that bear Mister!!!

Good looking kit. I'd heard a while back that Ayotte made Taye drums, but idk if that was true or not. Could be a DW/Pacific type thing.

Gruntersdad, Nice to hear that your mother was a volunteer but even better to know that she was from West Virginia. WV has been my home for the last 64 years. While there a many wonderful places in this old world to see and visit, it's always good to get back home. John

Nice kit and nice sizes John, I love sparkles and have always been impressed with Tayes offerings. Also a +1 on WV I have lived here my whole life and even though I like the world outside of this state. there is just something special about living here.

Help - I am looking for a new kit for my boy, saw these not sure if they are kosha or not as I haven't seen this furniture before on saturns, and also the label doesnt look quite right. Any comments/advice please?
$_57 (1).JPG

$_57.JPG

Back