MY NEW DRUM RISER

That riser: Only in Vegas.

I got to know quite a well known guitarist whilst I lived out there, who asked I join a new project but wanted the drums to be as high as his Marshall stacks (JVM top and two 4x12's stacked) very Judas Priest.

I tried it for one rehearsal and just felt more isolated than on the stage at Guilfest.

Out of interest, is the scene in Vegas picking up? It was dying a death, with numbers down, when I left in late 2010. I only spent 48 hours there in November and, to be honest, ended the night of the marathon in a drunken stupour in Hooters and was useless the next day; so didn't catch up with anyone.

NICE! I bet the guitarist isn't bitching about cymbal volume up there LOL !

Actually, that's pretty nice. The whole audience has a sight line to you. And you're not hidden in some stupid mezzanine or down in a pit like so many Vegas folks. I've got a guitarist buddy who lives and plays there. Sometimes he's on stage like a regular musician and other times it's be heard (only though the PA, no amps on stage) and barely seen.

You guys are cracking me up. Your gonna love this. Today I decided that instead of taking my car to the car wash like I usually do I would wash it myself. I bent over to wipe off the front bumper and BAM!!! slipped a disk in my lower back. just must have been a bad angle. I can hardly move right now and I fly to Vegas on Thursday. Will I be on the gig? Count on it, I will be there but great timing right. Now that riser dosen't seem so cool, and going up that ladder now should be real treat. LOL Getting old sucks.

You guys are cracking me up. Your gonna love this. Today I decided that instead of taking my car to the car wash like I usually do I would wash it myself. I bent over to wipe off the front bumper and BAM!!! slipped a disk in my lower back. just must have been a bad angle. I can hardly move right now and I fly to Vegas on Thursday. Will I be on the gig? Count on it, I will be there but great timing right. Now that riser dosen't seem so cool, and going up that ladder now should be real treat. LOL Getting old sucks.

Ouch! Probably never would've even happened if you didn't have to get on that riser. Don't you love the timing of these accidents?

Just don't fall off of it getting up and down that ladder. Especially going up it. That would be an embarrassing way to start the show.

I would totally bring a fishing rod and cast down to the stage. See if you can get Esteban's hat on the line.

That's not good Joe :( As you may or may not know, my back's in a right mess, & has been for some years now, but drumming itself isn't usually an issue, it's all the gear hauling :( :( :( & yes, getting older sucks big time.

I'm thinking that riser would have been perfect for Stargazer on Rainbow's 76 tour, but I'm guessing Esteban wouldn't be too impressed with a Cozy Powell impersonation ;)

Yikes! I can completely sympathize -- two slipped discs myself, and shoveling the driveway this winter hasn't helped. And like you, when does it decide to really give me issues? The day of a gig. The only gig I've done for months. I agree, it sucks getting old...

Reminds me of old Dio and Judas Priest videos where Vinny Appice and Dave Holland where on risers that seemed like a mile above the rest of the stage. It makes you wonder if they even knew they were part of the band way up there.

I would totally bring a fishing rod and cast down to the stage. See if you can get Esteban's hat on the line.

Zing!!! Like many other guitarists, we used to crack up at the commercials. I first heard about Esteban via The Gear Page (guitar oriented forum I used to frequent when I focused on that instrument). Everyone was like "who in the hell does this guy think he is?" and pity to anyone who buys one of his cheap instruments because they are impressed with rasgueado strumming.

But hey, it's Vegas, and it's a show that entertains. And probably a pretty good gig given the amount of people necessary that he has to pay to back him up.

Hope you get better soon and are back on the ladder.

Back