My new Cherry Snare (Built by me)

kyle

IMG00156-20110423-2311.jpg

This the new snare I've been working on since Wednesday. I sanded this thing myself, cut the pieces down my self. It is a stave snare, the inside is not perfectly rounded (I don't have access to a lathe, so I had to sand this thing down to as close to a perfect circle as I could.) and neither is the outside but its mostly done. Only thing missing is a snare strainer which is still on the way here. But this is my snare, built by me. It is infact cherry wood. It is 14x3, the inside is not fully round (I do not have access to a lathe and a router issue left huge gouges which I did not feel like sanding the shell another 2/8ths of a inch to fix.) Its not perfectly round either, but I used a router and sander to get this down to size, and even then I only used a router on the inner shell.

Crap wrong section.

Last edited:
Is that the Declaration of Independence written on that fabric?

Man, no lathe? That is determination. It must have taken hours to sand that down.
I asked you on another thread about this construction, did you just butt joint and glue the cherry?

And get some finish on there, bare wood when dirty soaks up the dirt like a stain and you will end up sanding again.

I had a router, which I used on the inside of the shell, really wish I had a lathe though, so I can finish rounding out the inside. Inside is not completely done. Also, don't know what butt joint is. Basically what I did was cut the wood down to pieces, cut the angles, and glue them. Used rope to keep the pieces tight together.

Really wish I had a lathe though.

I had a router, which I used on the inside of the shell, really wish I had a lathe though, so I can finish rounding out the inside. Inside is not completely done. Also, don't know what butt joint is. Basically what I did was cut the wood down to pieces, cut the angles, and glue them. Used rope to keep the pieces tight together.

Really wish I had a lathe though.

Find a local wood shop and have them lathe it for you ;-) I'm sure the cost would be minimal compared to what you have into it in wood and time. Not too mention you want it too look good inside and out right?

Well crap. The shell broke, Joints between the sections of wood failed, and now I have a snare only being held together by the batter head hoop.

Well crap. The shell broke, Joints between the sections of wood failed, and now I have a snare only being held together by the batter head hoop.

Please tell me you are kidding???

typotux2.gif

Lots of builders on Ghostnote don't use any kind of jointing.
What kind of glue/ jointing did you use?

Lots of builders on Ghostnote don't use any kind of jointing.
What kind of glue/ jointing did you use?

Well thats good to know, cause just getting the angles and sizes cut, which I gave a try at today, gave me brain freeze. Titebond ultimate wood glue is my usual choice. I wonder if biscuits would interfere with the acoustics. i have over 1000 feet of cherry, so I have stuff to practice and learn with.

I will take a tour of the ghost note site, thanks for the tip.

Well thats good to know, cause just getting the angles and sizes cut, which I gave a try at today, gave me brain freeze. Titebond ultimate wood glue is my usual choice. I wonder if biscuits would interfere with the acoustics. i have over 1000 feet of cherry, so I have stuff to practice and learn with.

I will take a tour of the ghost note site, thanks for the tip.

Holy cow :-o

That's a ton of cherry to have to practice with!!!

Butt joints and titebond 3 hold up fine, also, if i may suggest to kyle, building a jig to turn the drum against a router makes rounding without a lathe far easier. example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_fF8BmdqPs

Hope this helps, good luck with the replacement, you're craftsmanship looks beautiful!

Tried gluing it back together, however the drum appears to be out of round. I took a rope, and used it to pull together the sides that we're furthest out of round, and tried to pull them together. I really hope the wood will bend or something into shape.

Dang!!!!!! Where'd you get all of that cherry?
I use Titebond III...
bam, why do you say the jig is easier? They seem the same to me. I use a jig for 13" and up, smaller I'll be doing on a lathe. Getting it set up and centered takes about the same time, and cutting about the same. If anything, the jig's harder to build than the mounting stuff for a shell on a lathe.

Back