My new Caviotto is very snarey

fess

Just got a new Craviotto 6x14 maple. Beautiful drum, exquisite construction. But the snare over-powers the sound of the drum. Obviously, I've tried tightening the snare but I find it really chokes the drum before the snare sound diminishes. I've tried really cranking the reso, easing the reso, tightening and loosening the batter. I have a few other snares and don't have this problem with any of them. Remo Ambassador on top ( I took off the Craviotto labeled head to save it) , Aquarian snare head on bottom.
Any tuning tips for a solid shell drum?

dwsabianguy

Try different wires? I’ve got 20-strand VF/Canopus wires on my 6.5x14 DW Craviotto and I think it’s perfect. YMMV, and I’d also recommend looking into lower strand counts.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Try putting a band-aid at the ends of the wires. Not on the wires, but the head itself. I had an old Pearl snare that had tons of snare buzz/rattle, and it added enough "softness" to the reso to calm the snares down. If that doesn't help, I'm at a loss. What a strange problem.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
First off, don't crank it. just turn the rods in small increments. Play around with it a while you'll get the hang of it.Try a vintage emperor on top. it's a single ply drum it's a different beast. the wires are fine.just a thought, not sure where you bought it but you could reset the wires in the butt and strainer. never know who's been mess'n with it.

Last edited:

fess

I tried some tape on the reso head and that helps. I also have some 16 strand wires coming. Hoping to hear more of the drum and less of the snares.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Much like the band aid I use a small piece of electrical tape I've torn in half for a thin strip on the reso head under butt ends of wires. Do you get a buzz off and on center hitting it? Sometimes you get it just off center if reso too tight. I'd try backing off tension on reso head and see if you get buzz if that doesn't work go tighter-sometimes it's just a magical place between the reso and batter head. Have you checked the wires-the outer ones can be slack-which I've carefully cut them off with wire cutter to rid buzz. The wires on my steel snare had outer wires loose so I cut them off-works great and still haven't replace the wires yet.

Last edited:

yammyfan

Fewer wires might be the way to go. My Acrolite sounded wicked good to me from behind the kit but my bandmates mentioned the "snarey" thing after a recent gig. I had put 42 strand wires on there a few weeks earlier.

I put the original wires back on the drum today. Doesn't sound one bit worse to me either! Narrower wires could be your answer.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
.just a thought, not sure where you bought it but you could reset the wires in the butt and strainer. never know who's been mess'n with it.
That would be my first move. I would also remove both heads and make sure there are no loose bolts or screws from the lugs due to expansion/contraction.

single-ply

Not a snare issue. Sounds like a tuning issue to me. Even the best snare, like a Craviotto, will sound bad tuned poorly.

For me, I find the snare buzz is tamed, and the overall sound of the snare is greatly improved, with a snareweight M-1 leather dampener attached. Those things are awesome.

mpungercar

My guess is, there's at least one snare wire that is slightly bent and that's what's causing the excessive buzz. Just had this exact issue with one of my snares. Replace the wires!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Congrats on the fine new drum!
I just came across a tuning class by Steve Maxwell (he does a lot with Craviottto) packed full of useful information on drum tuning, in it he talks about tuning a Craviotto snare around the 12 minute point in this video...

Stroman

Platinum Member
I can't help but think that tuning is the issue, rather than snare wires. I believe it's a new drum, yes? So presumably it would be set up the way Craviotto believes best for the drum.

mpungercar

I can't help but think that tuning is the issue, rather than snare wires. I believe it's a new drum, yes? So presumably it would be set up the way Craviotto believes best for the drum.
Possibly, but it's also VERY easy to mess up the wires. In any case, it takes two seconds to determine if the wires are the issue. Just turn the drum over and have a look!