My New Book | Drum Kit Coordination Patterns: Funk and Rock

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi folks,

My new book, Drum Kit Coordination Patterns: Funk and Rock is out now.

Drum Kit Coordination Patterns Funk and Rock Front Cover.jpg

From the publisher's website:

Drum Kit Coordination Patterns are a collection of books that present sets of groove patterns within a certain style of music. The clearly defined sets cover a vast array of combinations and permutations, allowing the student to instantly see how each pattern is to be performed.
Practising coordination can be difficult. Many students and their teachers write out specific patterns so that they can clearly see where each voice is placed, and how the pattern as a whole aligns. These books present hundreds of patterns covering practical, functional, and far-reaching combinations in a way that is clear, systematic, and instantly accessible.

This book features:
  • 11 sets of groove patterns featuring 16th note hi-hat permutations
  • 9 sets of groove patterns featuring paradiddle combinations
  • Fat Back grooves and linear bass drum and snare drum phrasing
  • Clearly laid out sets presenting each and every permutation
  • Suggestions and concepts for practice and application
  • Over 100 pages of unique patterns for use in funk, rock, and fusion drumming
  • Combination matrices and concepts for the creation of unlimited new patterns

Our own @JimmyM and @Al Strange provided some valuable feedback, for which I am really grateful.

The sequel, Drum Kit Coordination Patterns: Jazz and Blues is due for publication shortly, too. I'll post more details about that when stock arrives.

I am happy to have already sent pre-orders worldwide, and I hope those of you who explore the book enjoy it. It is available physically and digitally, and a free sample is available on the link above.

Best wishes,
Jonathan

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Good stuff. That sample you have available has as much usable material on it as the first page of stick control. One could easily spend forever learning those patterns forward, backward, inside out, outside in, and left/right lead.

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Good stuff. That sample you have available has as much usable material on it as the first page of stick control. One could easily spend forever learning those patterns forward, backward, inside out, outside in, and left/right lead.

Thanks, that’s high praise indeed! It would be nice if a few more people knew about it, so feel free to spread the word! 🙏

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Thank you for the sneak peek, Jonathan! Those are some killer examples that will give drummers lots of options beyond the usual.