My Music City Custom Snare Verdict

Drums should be shipped with the heads loose IMO. Because if the drum had to go on a plane, the air up there is like minus 65 degrees F. The contractions that could occur...I wouldn't want a tight head on it for transport
If the plane is pressurized, does that even matter?

What if he likes his Pearl Session Studio Select snare better?
That's a danger I can't rule out. I do love that snare, but instinct tells me I'll like this one more.
Drums should be shipped with the heads loose IMO. Because if the drum had to go on a plane, the air up there is like minus 65 degrees F. The contractions that could occur...I wouldn't want a tight head on it for transport
It arrived a bit tighter than I expected, definitely not cranked but with playable tension. I'd presume that each artisan makes a tension-related judgment call at the factory.

I gave it a quick rudimental run, mostly to test its right-out-of-the-box characteristics. They tuned it medium at the factory, though I can tell that the snare-side head is a little looser than my usual tension. I haven't taken a key to it yet. I'll give it a thorough tune-up when I change the batter head tonight.
Since the heads that shipped with it are standard Remo heads (no Pearl logos), there's really no danger in tuning it up and trying it out with the stock heads. Because if for some reason you decided to return it, you can just replace the head with another coated Ambassador and it's back to 100% new.

Given that, I'd personally want to put it through its paces with the stock heads before swapping them out. That way you get a great sense of how the artisans at Pearl intended it to sound, and it may even influence what head(s) you ultimate put on it.

But that's just me.

Since the heads that shipped with it are standard Remo heads (no Pearl logos), there's really no danger in tuning it up and trying it out with the stock heads. Because if for some reason you decided to return it, you can just replace the head with another coated Ambassador and it's back to 100% new.

Given that, I'd personally want to put it through its paces with the stock heads before swapping them out. That way you get a great sense of how the artisans at Pearl intended it to sound, and it may even influence what head(s) you ultimate put on it.

But that's just me.
I'll definitely tune the Coated Ambassador for trial purposes, but I can already tell that it will be more open than my standard sound these days. The Coated P3 is pretty much an Ambassador with an inlay ring, so it will center the tone a bit without imposing a drastic transformation. I think it will work just fine on this shell.

I'm not really worried about the possibility of a return. Unless the shell is defective (and it doesn't seem to be), this drum will be mine for life.

If the plane is pressurized, does that even matter?
The cargo bay isn't pressurized as far as I know. People have frozen to death when they hid in there trying to follow a passenger in secret.

My point is solid shell drums move a lot more than ply shells With those extreme temp changes, the wood will contract or expand depending on the temperature and humidity. It's really dry at minus 65 degrees. Ply drums wont move as much, but better round than cracked or warped. I don't want my brand new drum's heads tensioned when I unbox it.

I'm pretty sure guitars aren't in tune right out of the box and neither should drums IMO.

I can't believe how much my solid shells move with temperature and humidity changes. Well compared to ply drums anyway. Mostly, my drums tune themselves tighter, all by themselves. I have to lower the tunings every so often. It's most noticeable on my bass drums. I start with a low tuned, rock sounding bass drum and it ends up sounding like the Motown bass drum after a few weeks.

Of course if the drum is travelling by truck then the enemy is heat, which doesn't get extreme like the colds of an airplane. Either way, loose heads for initial shipment.

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful shell! Can’t wait to see how it blends with your setup!

The cargo bay isn't pressurized as far as I know. People have frozen to death when they hid in there trying to follow a passenger in secret.
They put pets in cargo and they survive. I really dont know. I'll have to ask my brother, he used to build/fix planes for a living.

None of my guitars that I bought new were in tune in the box. They were all way low. One of them even required me to adjust the truss rod right away.

Fit and finish look great in the pics! It’s a beautiful looking snare…I’m especially smitten with the interior. Looking forward to your thoughts on it after some playing time.

They put pets in cargo and they survive. I really dont know. I'll have to ask my brother, he used to build/fix planes for a living.

None of my guitars that I bought new were in tune in the box. They were all way low. One of them even required me to adjust the truss rod right away.
They put pets in cargo and SOME of them survive. It’s not a safe gamble.

I agree with detuning as best practice, but I’ve also shipped a couple of snares tuned up and they arrived in good shape, so… idk.

Congratulations C.M.,

Your new Pearl Music City Custom snare drum is a pure beauty to behold in walnut!
The Best Reason to Play Drums indeed! :)

I like the "striping" on your shell. Of course the exact same "striping" is seen on the inside of the shell too, a solid shell hallmark.

It looks way nicer than even the dealer stock pic you posted in post#1.

Also, lugs, 1 screw or 2?

I like the "striping" on your shell. Of course the exact same "striping" is seen on the inside of the shell too, a solid shell hallmark.

It looks way nicer than even the dealer stock pic you posted in post#1.

Also, lugs, 1 screw or 2?
Glad you're liking the snare. I love it so far.

The lugs are single swivel, with two screws per lug. Quite lovely and very durable. The craftsmanship is impressive.

The 'hand finished in USA' tag answers my earlier question of where these shells are coming, safe to assume Taiwan. I hope you got a good price. If I were buying, I would price it at ~$650-700 at most. Again, I think it looks like a fine instrument and hope you enjoy it but if I compare it to a Noble and Cooley SS which is the same price, I can think of like 5 details that don't meet the same heirloom level here.

If I were buying, I would price it at ~$650-700 at most.
It's fortunate, then, that you aren't the buyer in this case.

. . . but if I compare it to a Noble and Cooley SS which is the same price, I can think of like 5 details that don't meet the same heirloom level here.
To be honest, I'm not really comparing this drum to those of other manufacturers. This is the snare I wanted, so this is the snare I purchased. A Noble and Cooley badge would never find a home in my rig. I play only Pearl.

Note: Nothing against Noble and Cooley.

Last edited:
There's always going to be someone throwing shade CM.
As if that would matter :ROFLMAO: I've never seen such brand loyalty. Even Chad Smith, who was arguably one of Pearl's most aggressive endorsees at the time, openly said he used a Black Beauty in the studio. But we are all potential customers, right? And if throwing $1k at a snare, anyone has the right to be critical here to meet certain expectations.

And if throwing $1k at a snare, anyone has the right to be critical here to meet certain expectations.
I'm not certain that statement is true. The snare obviously meets C.M.'s expectations. It's his money. What gives anyone else the right to be critical? I don't understand that thinking, I guess.

I also don't really understand the extreme brand loyalty either, but that's not my decision to make for anyone else.

Back