My Music City Custom Snare Verdict

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
After meticulous and protracted deliberation, I've summoned the conviction to leap from the proverbial fence and order a Music City Custom snare drum: 14"x5" in walnut. The decision wasn't without its trials, but in the end, walnut's tonal warmth, generous tuning range, and stunning aesthetics won the war. Maple is a staple, but its commonality was also a deficiency in this case. Walnut's scarcity pleaded for my attention, and I answered in the affirmative. Soon, we will be one.

Below is an image from Pearl's website of the exact model/design I ordered:

Pearl Music City Custom 14x5 Walnut.jpg

The drum will arrive late tomorrow or Saturday. I'll post more pics to this thread upon reception.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed the demos I submitted. I do appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Very cool .
I do like the pearl aluminum snare ( very underrated ). I’d be very interested in finding out how those Nashville snares record.
This is my first solid shell, so I, too, am curious about its recording characteristics. Intuition tells me that the sonic differences between a solid shell and a ply are most notable in acoustic settings. In studios, EQ, reverb, compression, and other artificialities can make almost any drum sound supernatural.

Walnut's scarcity pleaded for my attention, and I answered in the affirmative. Soon, we will be one.

Below is an image from Pearl's website of the exact model/design

Wait, hold on a second, we’re talking about a drum right, not some overseas mail order bride called “Walnut?” 😜

All joking aside congrats! I look forward to the update once you have the drum.

Well hell I was just fixing to place bets on Walnut vs Maple C.M.-I was betting on the walnut btw. So I was going to rake in the dough. If the pot got high enough I might have been able to buy me a Music City walnut-I already have a nice maple snare. ROFL
Congrats on your choice-so have you ordered and time of delivery? I think it will pair well with the Sessions birch/ inner play of African mahogany. I have to admit I'd never really paid much attention to those kits till you mentioned yours and I like the idea of the attack of birch and warmth of African mahogany-the walnut should fit right in.

That was fun, thanks for letting us play

Steambent walnut. That's pretty special. How many steambent walnuts are played?

I understand the hardware is forged of genuine Valerian Steel

(Game of Thrones reference, top compliment)

What's the shell thickness again?

I just think you will absolutely love it from your preferences you've posted

Well hell I was just fixing to place bets on Walnut vs Maple C.M.-I was betting on the walnut btw. So I was going to rake in the dough. If the pot got high enough I might have been able to buy me a Music City walnut-I already have a nice maple snare. ROFL
Congrats on your choice-so have you ordered and time of delivery? I think it will pair well with the Sessions birch/ inner play of African mahogany. I have to admit I'd never really paid much attention to those kits till you mentioned yours and I like the idea of the attack of birch and warmth of African mahogany-the walnut should fit right in.
Yup, the drum is ordered and en route as I write these words. I went with expedited shipping. I've been waiting to get this snare long enough.

I agree that a walnut snare will pair very well with my birch/African mahogany Sessions shells, yet another consideration that informed my decision. The Sessions have a warm and rich tonal presence that walnut will be eager to accompany.

Last edited:
After meticulous and protracted deliberation, I've summoned the conviction to leap from the proverbial fence and order a Music City Custom snare drum: 14"x5" in walnut. The decision wasn't without its trials, but in the end, walnut's tonal warmth, generous tuning range, and stunning aesthetics won the war. Maple is a staple, but its commonality was also a deficiency in this case. Walnut's scarcity pleaded for my attention, and I answered in the affirmative. Soon, we will be one.

Below is an image from Pearl's website of the exact model/design I ordered:

View attachment 106161

The drum will arrive late tomorrow or Saturday. I'll post more pics to this thread upon reception.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed the demos I submitted. I do appreciate your input.
1625777866735.png 1625777913114.png 1625777956682.png

That was fun, thanks for letting us play

Steambent walnut. That's pretty special. How many steambent walnuts are played?

I understand the hardware is forged of genuine Valerian Steel

(Game of Thrones reference, top compliment)

What's the shell thickness again?

I just think you will absolutely love it from your preferences you've posted

The shell is 8mm with reinforcement rings. The hoops are Pearl Superhoops (2.3mm triple-flanged). My Sessions have the same hoops, and I love them.

I've been using a Hazy Diplomat Snare Side as of late, but I wonder if that will be my choice with a solid shell. I'll try the factory-installed Hazy Ambassador Snare Side first and see what I think.

I like the pic-it has chicks with hats-and I really dig chicks with hats. I wonder if we tied little boots (with nylon or metal soles) on the chicks with hats and set them on top of a snare and cymbal could they by random chance, or actually shaking a leg of their own accord, create cross-species music we all like? My hypothesis is within two months of daily hen scratching they eventually scratch up a song. So it's still drum related for the save. Of course it will be a Music City walnut kit for the chicks with hats to play.
Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 8.27.04 PM.png

I wish you both the very best of health and happiness on your future journey together…in the words of Annie Lennox, “sweet dreams are made of this!” :D (y)

They have a bunch of inlay options but I think the I like it best how you are getting it (plain) though the thin ebony inlay was nice too.

They have a bunch of inlay options but I think the I like it best how you are getting it (plain) though the thin ebony inlay was nice too.
Agreed. Had I gone with a maple shell, I would likely have selected an ebony inlay, but the dark and woodsy walnut exterior looks much better without interruption in my opinion.

We saw this coming yesterday. What took you so long? What evidence in the trials stalled your decision?

And no inlay? I get that you prefer being understated (I was a black-only wetsuit surfer for the same reason), but Mother Pearl has options. You could’ve done both.

Back