My minimalist hybrit kit

Nice! Small sets are so much fun... I like small drums too. Recently I've added a 6 inch diameter x 5.5 drum to my small drum 4pc. The 6 adds a beautiful tone.
Your setup looks fun... a beauty!

Latest incarnation of my hybrid rig. DW 10x22 bass drum, DW/Crav 6.5x13 snare, 6000 hardware (not the ultralight stuff), SPD-SX and some funky weird Istanbul dry dark cymbals... 13 hats and 19 ride. Most significant upgrade on the rig is a new mounting option for the SPD-SX. Yamaha 700 series concert snare stand base with a Pearl UX-80 clamp (thanks @harryconway!). So much more user friendly than that ridiculously huge Roland stand the pad came with.

690D34EE-168F-4BE6-A826-4CBB864B8BDE.jpeg

DA7E217C-68EB-40F5-A91F-71E548191909.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest incarnation of my hybrid rig. DW 10x22 bass drum, DW/Crav 6.5x13 snare, 6000 hardware (not the ultralight stuff), SPD-SX and some funky weird Istanbul dry dark cymbals... 13 hats and 19 ride. Most significant upgrade on the rig is a new mounting option for the SPD-SX. Yamaha 700 series concert snare stand base with a Pearl UX-80 clamp (thanks @harryconway!). So much more user friendly than that ridiculously huge Roland stand the pad came with.

View attachment 102169

View attachment 102170
That set up is awesome! Almost limitless with the Roland module too. What throne is that, i see springs under the seat?

That set up is awesome! Almost limitless with the Roland module too. What throne is that, i see springs under the seat?

Thanks, Jasta! It’s a fun little rig to play. The skinny DW bass drum allows me to fit into super tight spots so it’s really a win/win. The throne is a Motion Pro. MVP piece of equipment that has saved and extended my playing life. Highly recommended.

E47CD97C-3102-45A6-8576-DFBCB2628BC6.jpeg

Thanks, Jasta! It’s a fun little rig to play. The skinny DW bass drum allows me to fit into super tight spots so it’s really a win/win. The throne is a Motion Pro. MVP piece of equipment that has saved and extended my playing life. Highly recommended.

View attachment 102223
i started using the Ahead Spinal Glide last year and it saved me, i was in a lot of pain, the split seat really saves your tail bone! the Ahead is firm and weighs a ton for some reason. that one looks nice and soft, i like the springs on that too.
A lot of "smaller" kit designs fail to address the depth of the drum kit in a tight space, not just the width. I will use a 22x8 bass drum in certain venues where the band space is super tight. I'll bet that bass drum is killer!

I've walked away after seeing guys on kits like this and I've walked away thinking you can't be serious!. Do I need to go two! piece!. On a wide scale I've had my mind altered more from players using these kits that looked like half their kit was stolen than I have from guys that mimicked Terry Bozzio.

I've walked away after seeing guys on kits like this and I've walked away thinking you can't be serious!. Do I need to go two! piece!. On a wide scale I've had my mind altered more from players using these kits that looked like half their kit was stolen than I have from guys that mimicked Terry Bozzio.
I would love to sit at Bozzio's kit just once, but i wouldn't have the time to set it up and take it down 3 nights a week by myself and try to fit it into a local bar. Small kits have allowed us to play in spaces where they insist on "no drums, its acoustic only" they will overlook a small bass and some brush work.

Man, I feel ya! I resisted the Roland pad (foolishly) about 20 years longer than I should have. I’m in the pop/rock world, so having access to the electronic sounds all in that nice little package has opened up a new world for me, as well as making most gigs much easier. Bass drum, snare drum and hi-hats + a bunch of electronic sounds are 95% of what I’m playing each gig. I wish I could bring my “normal” rig, but this has become my new normal. I’m working, so no complaints here!

Back