My left hand is so slow

Can you describe the techniques you have been using?

Basic mindfulness - directing attention to specific points and being consciously engaged in the work at each particular moment. It's the opposite of the way many of us practice, such as mindless repetition while mentally disengaged from the work at hand.

In the case of the left hand, I simply do work that demands that I direct my point of focus to that task, consciously emphasizing it, doing it accurately as soon as possible and being mentally present in the role of my left.

Being consciously engaged is perhaps the single greatest tool for practice. Placing our awareness where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Basic mindfulness - directing attention to specific points and being consciously engaged in the work at each particular moment. It's the opposite of the way many of us practice, such as mindless repetition while mentally disengaged from the work at hand.

In the case of the left hand, I simply do work that demands that I direct my point of focus to that task, consciously emphasizing it, doing it accurately as soon as possible and being mentally present in the role of my left.

Being consciously engaged is perhaps the single greatest tool for practice. Placing our awareness where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Well said. This, more than anything else, has improved the quality of my practice in recent years.

I agree it's neurological. But IMO it is muscular too. If you haven't been using certain muscles in your weak hand all your life and then you start focusing on them...those muscles need to be strengthened in addition to the thinking change, just an opinion.

Also the weak hand can very definitely be as good as the strong hand, and even surpass it. If you want.

I agree it's neurological. But IMO it is muscular too. If you haven't been using certain muscles in your weak hand all your life and then you start focusing on them...those muscles need to be strengthened in addition to the thinking change, just an opinion.

Also the weak hand can very definitely be as good as the strong hand, and even surpass it. If you want.

I agree with this too. I do think muscles are a factor in terms of endurance and control.
Right now I'm spending some time working on my left hand, partly by working on LH finger control and partly playing LH lead.
I am really getting to know my limitations in both departments, neurological and muscular!
For instance I can play a beat with say 95-100 bpm 16th notes with my right hand on the HiHat all day and night. If I switch to LH lead I can play maybe 85-90, but only for a few minutes before it gets ragged (muscles/endurance).
Then adding refinements like accents on (LH) 8th notes, and (RH) adding a few ghost notes to the backbeat, show the neurological part of the challenge.

I do like the result though - I have been doing this about a month (this time round) and I have seen some improvements already.
I like that working on my LH benefits my overall playing - I am getting round the kit better, playing more cleanly, plus my SS roll speed has improved a little. LH work is a really good return on investment of practice time IMO.

I'm realizing how critical the thumb is to control and consistency. My weak side thumb is so much weaker which greatly impacts what I am doing. I notice it slides around a lot more and doesn't stay in the same place as much as my strong hand thumb. Any specific recommendations for the thumb especially? Or is it just a matter of continual practice and focus?

I agree with this too. I do think muscles are a factor in terms of endurance and control.
Right now I'm spending some time working on my left hand, partly by working on LH finger control and partly playing LH lead.
I am really getting to know my limitations in both departments, neurological and muscular!
For instance I can play a beat with say 95-100 bpm 16th notes with my right hand on the HiHat all day and night. If I switch to LH lead I can play maybe 85-90, but only for a few minutes before it gets ragged (muscles/endurance).
Then adding refinements like accents on (LH) 8th notes, and (RH) adding a few ghost notes to the backbeat, show the neurological part of the challenge.

I do like the result though - I have been doing this about a month (this time round) and I have seen some improvements already.
I like that working on my LH benefits my overall playing - I am getting round the kit better, playing more cleanly, plus my SS roll speed has improved a little. LH work is a really good return on investment of practice time IMO.

You experience and mine match

I'm realizing how critical the thumb is to control and consistency. My weak side thumb is so much weaker which greatly impacts what I am doing. I notice it slides around a lot more and doesn't stay in the same place as much as my strong hand thumb. Any specific recommendations for the thumb especially? Or is it just a matter of continual practice and focus?

Yea, the only opposing force, the thumb. Very important IMO that the thumb muscle is strengthened.

The practicing techniques already mentioned are probably all good. One other thing that might help is to use drumsticks with rubberized grips like Zildjian or Vic Firth have. Or you can buy premade stick grips and shrink them onto the sticks with a heat gun. This will allow you to have a more relaxed grip and be able to play faster and smoother. Before I went to this type of grip, I always noticed that my hand muscles would ache from squeezing to hang onto smooth drumsticks. Good luck.

I recommend starting at a steady pace and not trying to force it. My teacher put me through Joel Rothman’s Picture Guide to Rock n Roll Drums, John Pickering’s Drummers Cookbook, Buddy Rich’s Snare Drum Rudiments and Jim Chapin’s Improv book. Every single exercise had to be played leading with both hands before I could progress to the next one. Unbeknownst to me, I was spending more time on my weaker hand as I was mastering each exercise relatively quickly with my strong side! Mixing it up with grooves and rudiments/exercises gets your weaker side in shape. I’m still not happy with my weak side (don’t know if I ever will be) so I’m constantly practicing to achieve the holy grail that is Simon Phillips‘ ambidexterity!! :) (y)

Back