My left hand hurts when I play... ?

joshisaces

Gold Member
Lately when I've been playing left my hand starts to throb with pain. I know this is probably technique. Can someone shed some light on this subject?

Also, when I gripping my sticks my hands always scoot back on the stick leaving me to grip the stick with only a couple fingers.

Help please.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
How hard to you play your drums?

i know that sometimes after playing for long peroids of time (im a heavy hitter) espically after riding on a crash cymbal, my hands can start to feel a bit sore....

-Jonathan

J

jay norem

You're the guy who had the problem with blisters, right? With all these problems you're having, I really think you need a teacher. Your grip is all wrong, it has to be. Blisters, throbbing pain, losing control of the stick. Not good. It could be any number of things, but a decent teacher could sort it out in no time.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Yeah, you are really in need of some technique because nothing seems to be working and now your body is saying 'ouch.' Seek out some good advice from a qualified professional, or 'go get a teacher.'

joshisaces

Gold Member
You're the guy who had the problem with blisters, right? With all these problems you're having, I really think you need a teacher. Your grip is all wrong, it has to be. Blisters, throbbing pain, losing control of the stick. Not good. It could be any number of things, but a decent teacher could sort it out in no time.
There's a conflict in solutions. I get blisters when I grip too tight, but when I grip too loose I lose control of the stick!

and to the other person, I do ride on my cymbals alot, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the hand I hit my snare with.

That Guy

Platinum Member
There's a conflict in solutions. I get blisters when I grip too tight, but when I grip too loose I lose control of the stick!
Thats why you need to get a professional to check your gripping. You might be doing something wrong. It can't hurt to get it looked at.

That Guy

Platinum Member
Now you're sounding like I need to go to a doctor. hahahah.

I don't know who to see... ?
You might eventually need to go to a doctor.

For now, go to a drum shop. Find an instructor and have him view your technique. He might charge you, so be ready for that.

joshisaces

Gold Member

For now, go to a drum shop. Find an instructor and have him view your technique. He might charge you, so be ready for that.
I won't need to go to a doctor. It only hurts when I play the drums.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Sorry to bump.
I asked my mom and she said it might be carpal tunnel. That explains the bad technique. When it hurts, I grip very loose because it hurts so much that I can't grip it correctly.

That Guy

Platinum Member
Sorry to bump.
I asked my mom and she said it might be carpal tunnel. That explains the bad technique. When it hurts, I grip very loose because it hurts so much that I can't grip it correctly.
I'll quote myself.

The worst mistake a musician can make is rejecting his peers concerns, suggestions and comments.

There is absolutely no need to bump a thread when you already received informative and wonderful suggestions. Just because you don't like the answers you were given to your question doesn't make them invalid.

drumhead61

Gold Member
Dude, you really should get a teacher to look at your grip it can only help...that is if you like playing> otherwise I believe you are well on your way to damaging yourself and then what? That would suck to say the least...take a few lessons and see what comes from it. I have never regretted getting a teacher!

Good luck,
JIM

joshisaces

Gold Member
I'll quote myself.

The worst mistake a musician can make is rejecting his peers concerns, suggestions and comments.

There is absolutely no need to bump a thread when you already received informative and wonderful suggestions. Just because you don't like the answers you were given to your question doesn't make them invalid.

WTFH? I was just posting an update. No need to be a douche. I COULD have created another thread, but that would make you more angry. o_O

joshisaces

Gold Member
Dude, you really should get a teacher to look at your grip it can only help...that is if you like playing> otherwise I believe you are well on your way to damaging yourself and then what? That would suck to say the least...take a few lessons and see what comes from it. I have never regretted getting a teacher!

Good luck,
JIM
The reason the bad technique comes along is because of the carpal tunnel crap. Taking lessons wouldn't help it.

That Guy

Platinum Member
WTFH? I was just posting an update. No need to be a douche. I COULD have created another thread, but that would make you more angry. o_O

lol.. you think I'm being a douche? Sorry that you feel that way. Thats what happens in forums. I'm not trying to be a douche. I'm sorry that it appears that way to you.

J

jay norem

Tell you what, joshisaces. Blisters, throbbing pain, losing control of the sticks. So what? Maybe that's just your own unique individual style. I say go for it, dude. Rock on, bro! You're only young once, right? Why listen to anyone who happens to have years of experience? It's so boring. Shred, homeboy, shred!

joshisaces

Gold Member
lol.. you think I'm being a douche? Sorry that you feel that way. Thats what happens in forums. I'm not trying to be a douche. I'm sorry that it appears that way to you.
Then why bash me for bumping when 99.9% of every member on here has at least bumped their thread once. After all, this is a drummer forum...

And I was grateful I got feedback on the thread. I was updating telling you what it might be to see if your opinions stayed the same, or if you had another idea that would help me in this area.